[Event] SRAM WC XCO Series / SA Cup Series Bloemendal Round 1

Events Bot

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Flippen awesome racing all weekend. Congrats to Donavan LeCok and Milky for 1st and 3rd in the Mens Sub Vets.

Elites races were spectacular!

Can't believe no further posts on this event

Thanks DieselnDust it was tough and I exceeded my expectations.

Was hectic racing. Did my first XCO race. Loved it. Came in 14th position. But didn’t get lapped or last. A solid 10minutes behind Donovan. He is a beast. Nice to meet milky. Well done all. Definitely doing the next one.

likewise Samson99, well done to you too. See you on the trails or at the next XCO race on 16th March.

Was my son's first race in the Elite field as he will be 19 in 2 months time. Halfway I did not bother to ask him how it was going, I just passed him the water or juice. At least he did not have a spill or technical. But now he knows how it is to race against the best in the world.

He just says he is going to hit the gym harder every day. He is still hungry and loves the XCO format.

Edited by Moridin

likewise Samson99, well done to you too. See you on the trails or at the next XCO race on 16th March.

Absolutely Milky. Can't wait for the next one. Hope to improve my position.

Where is the next one?

Still a nwoob to this format... Saturday was a crazy experience in the Pro Elite group.
Goal was just to finish off the 7laps and hopefully not have Gaze come lap me.
Technical on lap 3 lost around 2mins and the writing was on the wall.

Look forward to the next 1 although I think I'm ready to turn 30 ????

post-30349-0-68092400-1549259342_thumb.jpg

Edited by babse

Absolutely Milky. Can't wait for the next one. Hope to improve my position.

Where is the next one?

2019 Western Cape XCO Series Dates:

-*snip #1

-16 March 2019 (Saturday) – Welgelegen – WC XCO Series Cup #2.   Entries via this website

-27 April 2019 (Saturday) – Bloemendal 2 – WC XCO Series Cup #3.   Entries via this website

-18 May 2019 (Saturday) – Rhebokskloof  – WC XCO Series Cup #4 & WC XCO Champs.  Entries via this website

For those not part of our Facebook Page, here is a copy of my post from last night - it is long, but needed to be, as there is a whole lot of GREAT folk out there, who deserve so much more recognition and gratitude, than what they are getting. I raced myself, and just like in the past, the Vets, Sub-Vets, and Masters' start chute had the best gees of them all - was awesome to say the very least ! 

post-17350-0-88810100-1549270116_thumb.jpg

"Its all over folks - two days of exquisite XCO racing, but more importantly participation. Close to 600 entries over the two days, with increased numbers in each age category. XCO world wide has become one of the most keenly followed disciplines, and after this weekend, there could be no doubt as to exactly how much hunger there is among riders for some lung burning fun.

As club, we are extremely proud of WP MTB'ing who we have officially partnered with, to ensure that provincial racing in XCO, Enduro and Marathon can not only continue this year, but also grow, as seen from 2018.

The first WP and SA Cup event of this weekend was a huge success from so many angles, and we want to congratulate each participant, from the lovely young boys and girls in the nippers, right up to the well matured folk in the grand masters, who continue to live by the old saying "age is just a number".

The weekend came to a close today with close to 30 internationals / foreigners lining up next to SA's best. Some of the world's best elite men and ladies, were again going at it, and frankly, it still feels surreal seeing the likes of Briton's Annie Last, Hungary's Barbara Benko, Kathrin and brother Matthias Stirnemann from Switzerland, Simon Andreassen from Denmark ,Sam Gaze and Ben Oliver from NZ, and World Marathon Champ and ranked 2nd in the world in UCI XCO, Henrique Avancini from Brazil, race our very own Mariske Strauss and Alan Hatherly, on our own trails. #superproud

It was heartwarming to hear today's winner Henrique Avancini say in a post race interview that the course was on par in terms of elevation gain, and offered many similar challenges as one would expect from an UCI event. The sentiment was echoed by Alan Hatherly : "The course at Bloemendal Wine Estate is really tough. There’s a lot of climbing per lap that is wide open so overtaking is superb. Makes for proper racing because there’s no ‘easy’ moment. The course has awesome flow with some fun obstacles and jumps to style it out for the spectators on route."

In closing, a weekend like this does not just happen, that I can promise you. I want to offer a MASSIVE thank you and applaud the voluntary organisation Western Province Mountain Biking Commission, mostly made up of club members as well, who have not slept much in the last few weeks - some of them turned themselves inside out. It takes a VERY special person to do voluntary work, which for the most is hardly unseen by the general public. To each one of you, as supporting partner and fellow voluntary organisation, we salute you ! Big shout out to SRAM, for again stepping in as XCO title sponsor this year. Hosting venue Bloemendal Wine Estate for their continues support and sharing our vision, you guys remain awesome, and thank you for allowing us to make dreams come true. A special word of thanks to Liné Penderis for all her time, effort and organisational assistance in helping history get made this weekend with a first ever UCI accredited SA Cup on our trail network.

For the club members and others who supported all the riders and got sunburn yesterday, and stood in the rain today, thank you - you were part of something very special.....if you were not there, you surely missed out on some sick tail-whips, huge air, fighting spirit, watt bombs upon watt bombs, sportsmanship, camaraderie, gees, top notch racing, smiles, tears, good looking ladies NOT taking B lines (sorry had to try and subtly get this in), and buckets loads of personal satisfaction from all riders and abilities, for achieving their goals.

Tygerberg MTB Club - Committed to making a difference !!

#tygerbergmtbclub #wpmtb #memories #givingback #partnership"

The event was a great success for all involved and a world first of hosting back to back XCO events - KZN and Australia will be trying it this year as well.  Let's hope that we get enough South African UCI points for our riders to qualify for the 2020 Olympics as this was the main aim of holding the two events back to back

-*snip #1

-16 March 2019 (Saturday) – Welgelegen – WC XCO Series Cup #2.   Entries via this website

-27 April 2019 (Saturday) – Bloemendal 2 – WC XCO Series Cup #3.   Entries via this website

-18 May 2019 (Saturday) – Rhebokskloof  – WC XCO Series Cup #4 & WC XCO Champs.  Entries via this website

Is this the same Welgelegen that is home to the G-Spot trails? Or a different place?

Is this the same Welgelegen that is home to the G-Spot trails? Or a different place?

So how did you do at the races DnD? 

-*snip #1

Is this the track where the March race will take place perhaps? 

https://www.entryninja.com/events/event/31622-grinder-mtb-challenge