Cyclist down on Suikerbossie

Cippo

is any of that legal??? meaning, cna the cops refuse? is there no accident scene protocol for taking blood when alcohol is suspected to be involved, and can a private entity enter the chain of evidence in a criminal matter?

Who can take blood for these purposes?

According to Sec 65(9) a person arrested for one of the drink-and-drive offences is not entitled to refuse permission for a blood specimen to be taken. However, an arrested driver can request that his or her medical practitioner be present. In accordance with the rights of an arrested, accused or detained person under our Bill of Rights, the accused can demand to be shown that a sealed syringe and needle is used during the taking of the blood. According to Section 37(2)(a) of the CPA, the people that are authorised to take blood specimens are “medical officers of a prison, district surgeons or, if requested to do so by a police official, a registered medical practitioner or a registered nurse”. Once the authorised person takes your blood sample, it will be submitted to a state laboratory for scientific analysis. The analysis enables an expert to ascertain the estimated quantity of alcohol in the person’s blood at the time of the examination and must be done within two hours of the alleged act.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely someone like the PPA or the affected cyclist can lodge a complaint against the officers on scence that did not want to test the driver of the car?

is any of that legal??? meaning, cna the cops refuse? is there no accident scene protocol for taking blood when alcohol is suspected to be involved, and can a private entity enter the chain of evidence in a criminal matter?

Yes.

Surely someone like the PPA or the affected cyclist can lodge a complaint against the officers on scence that did not want to test the driver of the car?

They have drawn the blood as per protocol. Once the registered official from ppa arrives the police just give permission. They won’t call their own dudes to take the blood. The PPA has set up a team of people who can draw blood etc to be on call for situations just like this.

Police refused to draw blood so the PPA got their own pathologist to come draw his blood on scene!! Proud to be a ppa member!

unfortunately that blood sample will not be allowed as evidence 

Edited by capeviking

unfortunately that blood sample will not be allowed as evidence

Will just have to wait and see. But if I was the driver I wouldn’t hold my breathe.

I really think we need to make those pigs famous, that is outright disgusting that they don't call for a blood test on their own accord, lets get this to go viral...

I really think we need to make those pigs famous, that is outright disgusting that they don't call for a blood test on their own accord, lets get this to go viral...

they dont and even if someone involved requestes it of the other driver they still dont and if someone involved pushes it some lazy cop tells them that its slanderous to say someone is drunk and they still dont ..........you get the picture ....its far less work to do bugger all bare minimum than actually work for your money :blink:

Edited by bikebloke

they dont and even if someone involved requestes it of the other driver they still dont and if someone involved pushes it some lazy cop tells them that its slanderous to say someone is drunk and they still dont ..........you get the picture ....its far less work to do bugger all bare minimum than actually work for your money :blink:

Is it not doing your job? Or maybe not actually seeing what the problem with drunk driving is? Because basically we have a culture that supports it.

Any updates on the cyclist??? Jeez I just can’t stop thinking about how his and his family’s life just got screwed by some d1ck.

Well done the PPA --- this alone justifies membership fee! 

I really hope our fellow cyclist recovers fully and speedily and I look forward to updates informing us that the driver is punished to the full extent allowed by law.

Sending good wishes to the rider and his family.

Jesus christ WTF is wrong with people these days. At this time of year there are usually 20 people taking a rest at the top there

I haven't stopped there in ages for this very reason.

I rather continue down to the restaurant road where I feel just a little safer.

Strongs fellow rider and fam - praying for a full and speedy recovery.

Edited by Thomo