Cyclist down on Suikerbossie

Cippo

So pleased to hear he is going to make it.

update on the cyclist's condition from his wife I got the message from an other group than his wife had send to.

"Thank you for your concern and prayers. He's stable and looking better. Long recovery ahead. Just to clarify he was not hit by a car. Impact of car hitting barricade flung AJ from the railing. He was not on his bike at the time he was sitting waiting for the rest to catch up. I will try to keep this group posted as time allows. Many thanks, Wiedaad (wife)"

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Speedy recovery to all cyclists who were injured this weekend. 

These idiots on the road know that the long arm of the law won't reach them cause they just can't be bothered! It's so sad..........

update on the cyclist's condition from his wife I got the message from an other group than his wife had send to.

"Thank you for your concern and prayers. He's stable and looking better. Long recovery ahead. Just to clarify he was not hit by a car. Impact of car hitting barricade flung AJ from the railing. He was not on his bike at the time he was sitting waiting for the rest to catch up. I will try to keep this group posted as time allows. Many thanks, Wiedaad (wife)"

Relieved to hear that he is stable. Hope that him and all the other people mentioned in this thread recover well.

Really heartbreaking to read these type of threads so regularly.

thanks for the updates and clarification.

has this made the press?

if so, where?

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/179356-should-courts-assume-a-driver-was-under-the-influence-when-they-fail-to-stop-at-accidents/

they dont and even if someone involved requestes it of the other driver they still dont and if someone involved pushes it some lazy cop tells them that its slanderous to say someone is drunk and they still dont ..........you get the picture ....its far less work to do bugger all bare minimum than actually work for your money :blink:

If I was getting paid *peanuts a month to deal with what they deal with I would also probably have a different attitude....

Don't say 'work for your money' when I know half the people reading this earn more in a couple of days than they do in a week and I'm sure STILL cut corners to make their lives easier.

Work smarter not harder? Maybe smarter for them is not having to fill out 6 hours worth of forms while off duty and not getting paid? They are likely so numb from over eposure, trying to put food on the table while earning peanuts and gatvol of being told to 'do more' with absolutely no incentive to do so by Larry public earning 10 times more than them safe inside their glass castle.

I agree, blood SHOULD be taken. Procedure should definitely be followed, but if you are paying someone nothing, don't expect them to actually care

My R3500 was a dig at the low amount these guys earn to quite often put their lives on the line with very little emotional support 

Edited by Jewbacca

If I was getting paid R3500 a month to deal with what they deal with I would also probably have a different attitude....

Don't say 'work for your money' when I know half the people reading this earn more in a couple of days than they do in a week and I'm sure STILL cut corners to make their lives easier.

Work smarter not harder? Maybe smarter for them is not having to fill out 6 hours worth of forms while off duty and not getting paid? They are likely so numb from over eposure, trying to put food on the table while earning peanuts and gatvol of being told to 'do more' with absolutely no incentive to do so by Larry public earning 10 times more than them safe inside their glass castle.

I agree, blood SHOULD be taken. Procedure should definitely be followed, but if you are paying someone nothing, don't expect them to actually care

Whaaaat!    Do policeman earn R3500 per month? Impossible....

Whaaaat!    Do policeman earn R3500 per month? Impossible....

I don't think it's as low as R3500 p/m but Jewbacca says is spot on.

It's sad though, they should be respected in our communities but because we always hear of the bad apples who we hear and see are corrupt now all the fuzz get painted with the same brush.

When you get that good copper you're absolutely gobsmacked!

My 4yr old accidently pressed our panic alarm at home one Saturday and I quickly turned it off. A few mins later plod and his partner come knocking because they were informed that an alarm has gone off and they just want to make sure everything was ok?? I'm was like "da faq" has just happened?? You proactively did something?? And this is the same police station where I went head to head with one of the constables willing to sit a night in jail until they opened a case against one of their colleagues! 

If I was getting paid R3500 a month to deal with what they deal with I would also probably have a different attitude............

I understand your point, BUT, I disagree that it is as simple as an issue of low pay. In my opinion it is primarily a problem of employing people with the WRONG skills and personalities to do the job. 

I can't agree with this. Once we start using income differentials to justify negligent behaviour we attack the moral base by which we can hold people accountable for their actions. Underpaying a critical service like police is not acceptable but it is not a valid justification for the kind of dereliction of duty involved in declining to test someone for alcohol at the scene an horrific accident such as Abdullah's.

If I was getting paid R3500 a month to deal with what they deal with I would also probably have a different attitude....

Edited by Mamil

R3500?  Where did that number come from?

In 2018, constables earned between R175,000 and R213,000, sergeants between R222,000 and R270,000 and warrant officers between R278,000 and R407,000. These are all non-commissioned ranks which can be attained without any post-school training outside of what the organisation provides.

In 2016, 47% of all wage earners in South Africa earned less than R3,500 per month. SAPS constables earn approximately four times this amount. According to the South African Labour and Development Research Unit, 95% of South Africans earn less than R11,000 a month after tax. By this measure, SAPS constables’ incomes put them in the best earning 5% of the country.

The article more or less agrees with your point, but police officers are certainly earning more than most South Africans.

Edited by thisismyotherbike

Seems the average pay works out to just over 14K per month

https://www.payscale.com/research/ZA/Job=Police_Officer/Salary/ccc67f3a/SAPS

post-5403-0-94876900-1549437718_thumb.jpg

Speedy recovery, just glad you're alive.... well done PPA for the intervention, this driving behaviour simply cannot continue, lets hope that a win for the entire cycling community will come from this...

The fact that we have to hope to right this wrong is an absolute injustice...

I understand your point, BUT, I disagree that it is as simple as an issue of low pay. In my opinion it is primarily a problem of employing people with the WRONG skills and personalities to do the job. 

I agree, but once again, the 'right' people won't even apply for the job knowing that they will have to put their lives on the line, work insane hours with almost no support, constantly be understaffed, shouted at, told they are useless, have nasty things written about them all the time (even the good ones are cloloured in the same pen when people talk about the SAPS) and ultimately be worn down into being the 'wrong' people.

The structure is broken. 

I'm almost certain loads of guys and gals join the police force for the right reasons and are quickly numbed and dumbed by the above.

I would love to see our SAPS in a good light and have dealt with some amazing individuals on the force when organising the 2010 world cup acees and egress, support and traffic management.

Unfortunately the difference between those in an office and those on the ground is often huge and the 'average' belies the facts.