Very few PPA MTB Events

Rouxenator

I think there is so many MTB  events currently, about 2-3 per weekend, that its not really any use to try and orginze anymore.

I would rather see more crtis/cyclecross (short evening races) than even more MTB events. They easy to organize, family can pop in and have quick meal/braai while you race for an hour

Edited by Karman de Lange

Is it just me or is there a lot less mountain biking events by PPA this year? I had a look at https://www.pedalpower.org.za/events/ and was shocked to see there were only 4 (at the time of writing) for this year.

Why is that?

About two or so years ago, there was exactly the same observation - from the road guys.  Seems that they worked hard to address that, but that many of the old faithful MTB events have fallen away...

I've also noted that some of the MTB events on the calendar which previously had PPA involved, are now happening without their involvement - a question of expenses perhaps?  

Personally, I prefer doing events which have the PPA involved, as they are usually much better organised etc.  

I think there is so many MTB events currently, about 2-3 per weekend, that its not really any use to try and orginze anymore.

I would rather see more crtis/cyclecross (short evening races) than even more MTB events. They easy to organize, family can pop in and have quick meal/braai while you race for an hour

Best idea I’ve heard in a very long time.

Good point, more events seems to have gone on their own, like Porcupine Ridge using Entry Time. Guess I'll have to look at the various event organiser sites and see who offers what events.

The only 2 road events I do every year is CTCT and One Tonner, so if PPA stps offering enough MTB events I'm not renewing my membership sadly.

Good point, more events seems to have gone on their own, like Porcupine Ridge using Entry Time. Guess I'll have to look at the various event organiser sites and see who offers what events.

The only 2 road events I do every year is CTCT and One Tonner, so if PPA stps offering enough MTB events I'm not renewing my membership sadly.

In the past the PPA usually did not get involved with organising events themselves, they only facilitated event organisers providing equipment & expertise to help

When schools/charities stopped organising road events then PPA eventually stepped in and started organising road events themselves (mainly the Sportif series & One Tonner)

MTB'ing - Again, except for the Elgin event PPA don't organise events only facilitate. But with mtb'ing organisers its not so much that there are less events, many events feel they don't need PPA anymore + there are other events companies competing with PPA in that space.

Personally I don't think its really worth having a PPA membership for mtb events. Reason I am a PPA member is for road events & the good work they do on road safety advocacy - there is no other public entity fighting for cyclists rights  and I feel that is a cause worth supporting.

Don't mind starting at the back for Elgin, I never race it anyway. What you say about MTB event is true though, and with many other event organisers now in the game it seems those are where it's happening.

Fine Breede is on Entry Ninja. Stupid me entered for it only to realise we are heading out to Clanwilliam that day for Cederberg 100 miler. 

What are PPA (staff) then now doing? I have not been a member for a few years but I believe the PPA office has far more staff than in the past (i.e. 10 years back),  yet way few events either hosted or facilitated by PPA.

I can't believe giving money to BEN ( a good cause - FYI you can link your Woolworth My school card to BEN as a charity of choice) cost too much time or energy by the PPA staff.

I sure on the PPA website there will be a copy of the  AGM report which will be not to different from the year before on how great PPA is and all the work they are doing but I suppose this is like yesterdays SONA - same speech with little action.

My comparison is to the days when PPA did a lot of events / facilitated a lot of event - up to 2 road funrides per weekend in summer with some MTB event. International stage race and organize event like the Double Century which more recently fall under the Cycle tour trust.

What are PPA (staff) then now doing? I have not been a member for a few years but I believe the PPA office has far more staff than in the past (i.e. 10 years back),  yet way few events either hosted or facilitated by PPA.

I can't believe giving money to BEN ( a good cause - FYI you can link your Woolworth My school card to BEN as a charity of choice) cost too much time or energy by the PPA staff.

I sure on the PPA website there will be a copy of the  AGM report which will be not to different from the year before on how great PPA is and all the work they are doing but I suppose this is like yesterdays SONA - same speech with little action.

My comparison is to the days when PPA did a lot of events / facilitated a lot of event - up to 2 road funrides per weekend in summer with some MTB event. International stage race and organize event like the Double Century which more recently fall under the Cycle tour trust.

8 sportiffs,Tour de PPA,  One tonner, DC ,  Maluti and few other events.   think  >12 road events this year. 

DC is still PPA event, organized by Cycle tour trust.

PPA is open for suggestions (they ask on each newsletter) and so far lot of those have happened, so maybe drop them email and give them some suggestions  how it can be done. 

Like they say, if they don't know there is a problem, they cannot fix it.

Edited by Karman de Lange

The "problem" although I refrain from using that word and rather use the word "question" was that why compared to previous years we now have so few MTB events on the calendar?

The "answer" seems to be that since the event organisers do all of the prep work for MTB event they outsource the entries to companies dedicated to doing that (Entry Time, Entry Ninja, Quicket, etc.) with the motivator being that it's cheaper.

The bottom line thus, for someone like me that uses a PPA road number once or twice a year, is to not bother renewing my membership. 

I think there is so many MTB  events currently, about 2-3 per weekend, that its not really any use to try and orginze anymore.

Slightly off topic, but short evening races would be amazing! Take work off at 3 every now and then, go do a super fun race, finish just after traffic rush hour (7 pm :wacko: ) and then home time. That would most likely take a good organizer like PPA sounds to be, and enough entrants and interest of course! MTB races should be easier to organize and may uplift what appears to be a lacking mtb enthusiasm from PPA

Is it just me or is there a lot less mountain biking events by PPA this year? I had a look at https://www.pedalpower.org.za/events/ and was shocked to see there were only 4 (at the time of writing) for this year.

Why is that?

About 10 years ago PPA decided to market events in two ways.

PPA sanctioned /branded events

PPA calendar events.

The former is managed by ppa and marketed by ppa.

The latter consisted of events that were managed by stakeholders not affiliated to cycle tour Trust or ppa but marketed by ppa via their calendar.

The number of ppa events has more or less stayed the same while the marketed events have waxed and waned

PPA is open for suggestions (they ask on each newsletter) and so far lot of those have happened, so maybe drop them email and give them some suggestions  how it can be done. 

Like they say, if they don't know there is a problem, they cannot fix it.

Is it not true that a significant number of there members choose to become members because of cycling event they offered? If this is a true statement then surely if the number of event are dropping then a significant portion of their members will be less satisfied? Maybe the reason for OP's starting the topic.

So should the obvious need to be stated - PPA put more events on / facilitate organizations to put events on, across all disciplines of the sport. That maybe easier said than done - I will not deny that.

Let's consider the Southern sub road funrides for example - a number of charities use to benefit from these. Apart from the Cape Town cycle tour are any left? How was this allowed to die - is it good for the sport? Yes PPA can hide behind road permission (Fish Hoek main road is finished so those road works cant be used as an excuse anymore) but how much energy is been use by PPA to negotiate for these rides again? Has PPA used possible leverage of the Cape Town Cycle tour (PPA co owner) which uses these road? The Cape Town cycle tour generate a whole lot of income for the city and business in the region, surely this can be used to negotiate say 4 road funrides excluding the Cape Town cycle tour using Southern Sub road per year? Maybe that's a pipe dream but has it been exhausted? Should it ever be exhausted or should it be actively campaign for by PPA each year - Southern Suburbs road ride?

To sum up is PPA doing all they can do to ensure cycling events stay alive or are they willing to let them to fall away 1 at a time?  Do member still expect PPA events / a PPA calendar?  I dropped my PPA membership as that's what I expected and it was not been delivered to the extent it had been.

Just for last Sunday morning arranging to have that one suspected drunk drivers' blood tested for alcohol levels after nearly killing a cyclist on Suikerbossie, makes me happy to renew my PPA membership come July. Even if they do nothing else. Just saying.

Let's consider the Southern sub road funrides for example - a number of charities use to benefit from these. Apart from the Cape Town cycle tour are any left? How was this allowed to die - is it good for the sport? Yes PPA can hide behind road permission (Fish Hoek main road is finished so those road works cant be used as an excuse anymore) but how much energy is been use by PPA to negotiate for these rides again? Has PPA used possible leverage of the Cape Town Cycle tour (PPA co owner) which uses these road? The Cape Town cycle tour generate a whole lot of income for the city and business in the region, surely this can be used to negotiate say 4 road funrides excluding the Cape Town cycle tour using Southern Sub road per year? Maybe that's a pipe dream but has it been exhausted? Should it ever be exhausted or should it be actively campaign for by PPA each year - Southern Suburbs road ride?

You of all people should know what happend to these rides, Traffic, getting access to road use and COST of traffic officers. Not to mention that the costs would now bring out all the moaners on every platform. You are never going to get access to road-closures for an additional 4 events a year with what maybe 1 to 3k entrants but have to have the closures to cater for the slowest riders. I think the Sportif's dont even get 2k entrants.

BUT it would be nice if you could get something done. Then again I would not be there as the traffic to get there and back from the N Sburbs would also be a bit of a bitch. So these rides would be for elite's and locals. So the numbers could be even less.

Just my thoughts.

You of all people should know what happend to these rides, Traffic, getting access to road use and COST of traffic officers. Not to mention that the costs would now bring out all the moaners on every platform. You are never going to get access to road-closures for an additional 4 events a year with what maybe 1 to 3k entrants but have to have the closures to cater for the slowest riders. I think the Sportif's dont even get 2k entrants.

BUT it would be nice if you could get something done. Then again I would not be there as the traffic to get there and back from the N Sburbs would also be a bit of a bitch. So these rides would be for elite's and locals. So the numbers could be even less.

Just my thoughts.

I am definitely not suggesting road closure like the cycle tour - just road permission for 4 funrides. To my Knowledge only about 2 funrides in RSA have road closure all the other have road permission.

At the time of most of these ride been cancelled was the main road to Fish hoek and road works - this is finally finish - yet the rides are not back.

Edited by Icycling