Used Trek OCLV 5500 - Thoughts?

Sbloomer

I was offered a used Trek OCLV 5500 (2009 model it seems) for what seems to be a bargain.

Now, I haven't ridden a roadbike for probably 20 years, least of all a carbon one.  Assuming it fits (I haven't seen it yet), what else should I look for?  Roadbikes don't seem to date as quickly as mountain bikes (like the 26"-29" change), but will spares still be available.

I must admit I've never considered a roadbike, especially looking at how often people have to spend on the side of the road changing tires, especially when compared to a tubeless mountain bike.

Any thoughts?

If it's in good condition and cheap, then why not. There is a reason Trek can offer lifetime warranties, there products are top notch.

Just check on the age. 2009 sounds a bit new. The 5500 OCLV is a bit older. Maybe as old as 2004.

Not that age matters that much, especially if the condition is good

Have you got a picture.

If you pump your tyres to the correct pressure, you shouldn't be spending that muchtime on the road with punctures. People tend to lower the pressures to get a more comfortable ride, then complain about punctures. Keep the pressure at 8 bar and you won't have a problem.

I was offered a used Trek OCLV 5500 (2009 model it seems)

According to www.vintage-trek.com/model_numbers1.htm 5500 ran until 2004 so unlikely 2009. 

Please post a photo and let us see to confirm.

for what seems to be a bargain.

What do you consider cheap ? 

It would depend on age and component set.

Roadbikes don't seem to date as quickly as mountain bikes  but will spares still be available.

What group-set does it have ?

I was offered a used Trek OCLV 5500 (2009 model it seems)

According to www.vintage-trek.com/model_numbers1.htm 5500 ran until 2004 so unlikely 2009. 

Please post a photo and let us see to confirm.

for what seems to be a bargain.

What do you consider cheap ? 

It would depend on age and component set.

Roadbikes don't seem to date as quickly as mountain bikes  but will spares still be available.

What group-set does it have ?

I bought a 5500 OCLV in 2000 but there were previous models at least from the late 90's.

Carbon doesn't really age so it depends on the components.

Beware if it has the original Rolf Vector wheels - there are NO spares for them or their hubs, and I have seen instances where the rims crack and the hubs have problems of their own.

Thanks for the replies.  Will post images when i actually get to see the bike, when I know what it has in terms of wheelset and components.

He wants 4 grand for it.

Riding a vintage bike does have a certain level of appeal though.

At least a puncture is cheap to repair. Not like my mtb that needs 4 new drivetrains before my roadbike needs new brake pads.

At least a puncture is cheap to repair. Not like my mtb that needs 4 new drivetrains before my roadbike needs new brake pads.

True that [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got some images of the bike.  Looks very nice, but the issue is its a 58 and sizing seems to suggest I need a 54 (I'm 1.72)

Got some images of the bike.  Looks very nice, but the issue is its a 58 and sizing seems to suggest I need a 54 (I'm 1.72)

I'm 1.72 and ride 54 road frame, 58 will be too big indeed

The wheels on that bike alone are worth more than R4k on the used market. If I'm not mistaken, you'll pay over R10k for those wheels new.

The frame looks as if it has been re-sprayed. That colour scheme doesn't look like any of the Treks I've ever seen.

It is a pity about the size.

Archived