Noise canceling headphones

Patchelicious

I have the Plantronics Backbeat Pro, Backbeat Pro 2 and the Bose QC35.

The Plantronics are both very good, also the NC, but the Bose takes the win. At a price tough.

Currently selling the Backbeat Pro if anybody is interested.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife now has my Bose. Sony now my go to headphones. Very good and their wireless bluetooth setup is excellent. WH 1000's i think they are. All are pricey but if you travel a lot you only need one flight with a baby that can't equalize to be willing to lay out top dollar for the best you can get.

The very reason why I bought my Sony pair at a layover in Singapore.The first leg of the flight was a nightmare with crying babies.

To tell the truth, I did not mean to go top of the range, but the salesman found me an easy target to upsell to. 

At the moment I have the Sennheiser PCX550, the Sony WH1000XM3 , Bose QC35s and Bose QC20 in-ears.

I fly really frequently, like twice a week, so I use them a LOT.

For shorter domestic flights the QC20 in ears are fantastic because they pack small. Noise cancelling on all Bose is excellent. I do find that after an hour or 2 the in-ears get uncomfortable.

The Sennheisers are OK, but the NC is nowhere near Bose. Also, their connectors for external cables when using them for inflight entertainments are tiny and fragile.

Sony’s are fantastic and my current top pick. They do have a design quirk in that if you leave them on, but no source connected, they switch themselves off after a while. Annoying if all you want is some electronic silence. That said, Bluetooth performance, noise cancelling and sound quality are top notch.

The Bose are always a winning choice and you really can’t go wrong. Their ear-cups tend to wear out, but they are both easy to replace, and supremely comfortable.

So at this stage , you will be winning with either the Bose or the Sony.

On the more budget side i have owned a pair of skullcandy Hesh2 wireless for 3 years now.  For R1800 they great, sounds brilliant the noise cancelling is excellent only issue is after about 4-5 hours i find my ears start getting hot.  But for the price they brilliant and very well made.

Not on the same level as the Bose and Sony but they not much worse and they basically 3 x cheaper.

Sony wins by a tyre width

https://youtu.be/cRNqVGfy2O4

By a tyre width? That review can be summed up as: The Bose are great, but if you buy them now then you bought the wrong ones"

Edit: if you asked me before reading this thread I would have said the Bose without a doubt.

Question: in the lower price bracket, anyone have some real world feedback on the Sennheiser HD 4.50 BTNC? The Marshall Mid also looks so sweet but is on-ear only (in NC)...

Edited by madbradd

Value for money the Plantronics are really hard overlook. I bought a set with some Ebucks burning a hole in my pocket.

Although the 1/3 of the price compared to the Bose QC35 they sound 4/5 as good.

Sent from my Redmi 4X using Tapatalk

By a tyre width? That review can be summed up as: The Bose are great, but if you buy them now then you bought the wrong ones"

Edit: if you asked me before reading this thread I would have said the Bose without a doubt.

Question: in the lower price bracket, anyone have some real world feedback on the Sennheiser HD 4.50 BTNC? The Marshall Mid also looks so sweet but is on-ear only (in NC)...

Re the Sennheiser 4.50. Yeah, got a pair for half price (about R1500) sound quality very good, battery life great. Controls could be a bit better on them. Noise canceling works but not in the same league as Bose. Can get a bit warm on the ears with extended play but generally comfortable. Very durable although I bought a separate hard case for it (R100 from Musica) as it only comes with a little bag and I carry them around in my laptop bag. Would have preferred real leather instead of the faux stuff they put on and they could do with a little more padding. IMO very good value for money, but not quite the same quality as Bose or B&W (love both of these but couldnt justify spending that much more on a pair of headphones) (way better than the beats though)

ok

change of direction

best headphones for training on IDT. my Jaybirds died.

If you are looking for true wireless, They dont come any better than Jabra Elite Active 65t. Pricey though

If you are looking for true wireless, They dont come any better than Jabra Elite Active 65t. Pricey though

yeah i have seen them on net..thanks for recommendation

ok

change of direction

best headphones for training on IDT. my Jaybirds died.

My first introduction to Plantronics was when I was looking for something robust to replace a pair of Jaybird that didnt even make 3 months

Have a look at the backbeats .

I sweat like a pig and these things just last. Not the best sound quality but when I'm on the threadmill it's boom boom tstsk tshk music so it doesn't matter

Sent from my Redmi 4X using Tapatalk

I bought my daughter a pair of Bose.

Was fairly impressed.

My son wanted JBL. K@k in comparison.

I bought a cheap and cheerful pair of Panasonic nc earphones and was impressed with the noise they are capable of reproducing. The Bluetooth on them is rubbish, but cabled doesn't seem to use battery at all. I bought a few pairs as spares so if you need to try some, let me know

Ps im a plantronics agent, but havent got a pair of my own.

In-ear design is a big no-no as it damages the eardrum. Especially for kids. Granted, they are much cheaper, but don't be tempted

Can't comment on headphones, but the Bose QC20 in-ears are awesome.

I went for in-ears specifically for off-rad bike riding. They do a decent job at dulling the thump of the Husky's single cylinder when our on the bike for 10-12hrs of the day.

They say that wind (on body), vibration and noise all contribute heavily to fatigue. The Bose QC20's there the "cheapest" upgrade I have made to eliminate one of those 3.

Highly recommend!