Noise canceling headphones

Patchelicious

Looking for a nice over ear set, what’s the lastest models stirring up the pages of Stuff and 3T?

Everybody seems to have Beats these days?

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bose quiet comfort. 

There is literally nothing else that comes close to how good those are.

If you don't want to spend on the Bose then the Sony Noise Cancelling or the Sennheiser ones are good. 

Beats are no good. Marketing more than quality. 

Edited by the nerd

Looking for a nice over ear set, what’s the lastest models stirring up the pages of Stuff and 3T?

Everybody seems to have Beats these days?

Beats are absolutely rubbish

Cheapest set that's still great is AKG NC60 (new Bluetooth version). This is closer to "on-ear" though.

Midrange option Sony WH-1000XM3, my wife has these and they are excellent.

Premium I would go Bose Quietcomfort 35.

Bose quiet comfort. 

There is literally nothing else that comes close to how good those are.

If you don't want to spend on the Bose then the Sony Noise Cancelling or the Sennheiser ones are good. 

Beats are no good. Marketing more than quality. 

Sony’s WH-1000XM3 beats Bose IMO. NC is incredible and audio quality along with comfort is great.

The MK3 Sony recently replaced the MK2's which were the same generation as the Bose QC35. 

I'd say

1. Sony WH-1000X Mark 3

2. Bose QuiteComfort 35 (should be updated soon)

3. Bowers & Wilkens PX 

I've had the PX and now the Sony. The PX has some cool features like autoplay and pause when putting them on / taking them off. 

What I like about the Sony MK3

• VERY comfortable
  • LONG battery life and charge quick (one charge lasted me a CT - JHB - UK - LAX trip on 1 charge)
  • Comes with USB-C charger cable, mini jack to mini jack, aeroplane two prong adapter, carry case
  • Folds flat and relatively small into a hard case which protects it when carrying around

Agreed that Beats are marketing hype. 

I probably use my QC35 for at least 4 hours everyday in our open plan office. Most times without music playing.

Extremely comfortable headphones.

Sent from my Redmi 4X using Tapatalk

Beats are absolutely rubbish

Cheapest set that's still great is AKG NC60 (new Bluetooth version). This is closer to "on-ear" though.

Midrange option Sony WH-1000XM3, my wife has these and they are excellent.

Premium I would go Bose Quietcomfort 35.

I'd say that "premium" badge only comes from it's $$$ asking price.

https://gadgets.ndtv.com/audio/features/sony-1000xm3-vs-bose-qc35-ii-1966224

Verdict
Bose has always had the edge when it comes to noise cancelling headphones, but with the WH-1000XM3, Sony has finally pulled ahead. The sound on offer is plush and detailed, with the crisp highs and wide soundstage a particular highlight. The headphones also last longer on a single charge, and the noise cancellation is stellar, and highly customisable.

Verdict
Add all of the ingredients together – the increased comfort, improved noise-cancelling and serious audio ability – and you have as close to the perfect pair of noise-cancelling headphones as it’s currently possible to find.

There are rivals out there that can beat them in specific areas, but none offer the same exceptional all-roundedness. Taken as a whole the WH-1000XM3s are simply sensational – the perfect long-haul travel companion, office upgrade or daily commute enhancement.

I have a set of JBL E65BTNC's.

Controls take a bit getting used to but they have real good noise cancelling, very comfortable and great sound.

Probably not the best, but I'm very happy with my Bose QC 35's. I'm, a Bose fan boy and buy my Bose kit from their factory outlets when I go to the USA, at a fraction of the local. Going rate.

In my mind Beats = Gangsta wannabes....

I bought an airline wifi adaptor on Amazon so I can use them wirelessly in flight too.

I bought the top of the range Sony MDRxxx 6 years ago. It is still going strong, with great battery life. Leather over-ear cups are still very comfortable and in great nic. I am sure the newer ones are even better, but I am in no rush to upgrade.

And yes, most high end makes are better than Beats. I understand Beats have a built in equaliser that pumps up the bass. Beats just have really good marketing, enabling them to dress up lower quality componentry, and sell it for premium prices. It was/is a really high profit margin business, which explains why it was snapped up by Apple. 

Check out evetech, they have some goodones for gamers and they work and not too badly priced, with a gamer teenager, I would know

1. Sony WH-1000X Mark 3

2. Bose QuiteComfort 35 (should be updated soon)

3. Bowers & Wilkens PX

^^^ exactly this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool the one that seems to pop up on a lot is the Bose, will go check it out, and the Sony too.

Some old school house and new age techno forms part of my library, so a little extra base is never a bad thing btw ;)