Cycling on a Budget

JPienaar

Hey guys,

I am on a budget of R6000 (more or less) and I'm looking to buy a mountain bike.

I will mainly be using it for commuting, so it doesn't need to be very hardcore or anything, but I might take it on an occasional trail and other such things.

I am about 180cm tall and I am quite light and of a smaller build.

I don't mind going second hand if that could get me a better deal.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Pienaar WELKOM op die Hub

For that price you would be well advised to buy a decent second hand bike.

Either on the Hub, or at your nearest cycle shop that trades in bikes when repeat clients upgrade.

If you tell us where you are we can point you towards the shops in your area.  Certainly some nice options around in the Cape.

PS - 2016 I also started by buying a second hand bike and using it for commuting   :thumbup:  :thumbup:

Pienaar WELKOM op die Hub

For that price you would be well advised to buy a decent second hand bike.

Either on the Hub, or at your nearest cycle shop that trades in bikes when repeat clients upgrade.

If you tell us where you are we can point you towards the shops in your area.  Certainly some nice options around in the Cape.

PS - 2016 I also started by buying a second hand bike and using it for commuting   :thumbup:  :thumbup:

Thank you for your reply.

I live in Northern Pretoria, but any shop in Gauteng would be fine, I don't mind driving.

Solomons Cycles has what looks like genuinely good deals on Merida bikes that would fit with your budget at the moment.

Cycling is a grand sport nowadays, walk into a store and boom there goes another grand

and that's just for a single tyre

Should he be looking at certain specs, for example groupsets, suspension or tyres, that are cheaper to maintain? I am just thinking certain parts last longer and are cheaper to repair or replace when the time comes. Or at that budget just get what is available?

Hey guys,

I am on a budget of R6000 (more or less) and I'm looking to buy a mountain bike.

I will mainly be using it for commuting, so it doesn't need to be very hardcore or anything, but I might take it on an occasional trail and other such things.

I am about 180cm tall and I am quite light and of a smaller build.

I don't mind going second hand if that could get me a better deal.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

You are a few months too late, you missed the Makrodale Trail 5's for R5500.

Anyway good luck and FYI when you say your budget is X amount what normally follows is "but I could stretch"... #truestory 

Welcome to the most expensive sport in the world 

Hope you have many many many happy miles ahead of you! 

Let me tell you how it started for me and what to learn from it.

I also started with the concept, I wan't to buy a not too expensive bike just for commuting. So bought a entry level road bike .. .that was in 2001.  The mistake was buying a NEW entry level bike.  As Gr3mlin131 mentioned, you need to look at the components.  Entry level components wear quicker and needs to be replaced sooner than you think.  This happened to me.  3000 km and the chain ring is shot.  Thought about upgrading the groupset on the bike.  Was cheaper to sell the bike and buy something better.

Buy a second hand model with better components.

Make sure about the bike size. Very important.

As you are going to use it for  commuting, you might be saving a bit in petrol and car maintenance.  Take that into consideration when you think about the budget.  My first bike with kit and basic accesories paid itself within 6 months..

Make sure about the bike size. Very important.

My second bike turned into 30k school fees due to a pro-cyclist selling me a bike that was too small .... 

I think the best is to tell you what I would look for: 

1. Secondhand Hardtail around 2013 model

2. Decent local frame (Silverback, Momsen) in your size, don't buy anything you have not tested.

3. Groupset: 2x10speed previous years Shimano XT. 

4. Fork: Air fork, stay away from cheap coil. Rockshox Recon is first choice. 

5. Brakes: Disc, hydraulic, any shimano deore,slx,xt will be good. 

6. Wheels: 29er , this is personal preference  

My first bike was a Silverback Sola 2 2013 edition and it was perfect. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think the best is to tell you what I would look for:

1. Secondhand Hardtail around 2013 model

2. Decent local frame (Silverback, Momsen) in your size, don't buy anything you have not tested.

3. Groupset: 2x10speed previous years Shimano XT.

4. Fork: Air fork, stay away from cheap coil. Rockshox Recon is first choice.

5. Brakes: Disc, hydraulic, any shimano deore,slx,xt will be good.

6. Wheels: 29er , this is personal preference

My first bike was a Silverback Sola 2 2013 edition and it was perfect.

Think this is some good advice. Basically what I did recently and got sorted around R6k. Problem was what came after. Helmet, gloves, bottle, tubeless conversion, tools, etc.

——

2015 - Silverback Sola 2

Think this is some good advice. Basically what I did recently and got sorted around R6k. Problem was what came after. Helmet, gloves, bottle, tubeless conversion, tools, etc.

——

2015 - Silverback Sola 2

This 

Make sure you set aside some funds for protection. Bell have some decently priced helmets that offer good protection 

I’m in that same position. Gave myself a budget for my first HT and did not include any $ for safety. Now I need to cross off the the more expensive bikes on my list.

Archived