12 speed chain replacement

justinlo

Just another thing that popped into my head whilst out riding...

why is it only the 12 speed chains that require changing at 0.5 wear. A 10 speed can be replaced at .075,they are the same length between the links, sure it a little thinner but is that really going to make a difference? Or is it just about shifting accuracy.

It's about saving the 42 and 50T sprockets in Eagle cassettes.

For road the same should really apply since the chain rings are just as vulnerable hence I replace road chains no matter what speed at 0.5% wear.

The thing is you will getaway with a worn chain ring for far longer than a worn cassette sprocket. But since a replacement chainring set for DuraAce is around R3200 to R4500 depending on the configuration, I'll prefer to bin the chains early rather than the rings

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My GX Eagle chain needs to be replaced now @ +/- 1500km - majority of those km at places like Helderberg where it's climbing in the 2 easiest gears for an hour, then descending in the hardest 2 gears for 15mins. So in other words, the chain is stretched quite a bit on the climbs in the 50t, and because of that I replace it sooner rather than later.

I've ordered an XX1 Eagle chain from CWC because of this thread - let's see how it goes.

My 12 speed black XX SRAM Eagle chain has 1400km on it and the inside face in now completely silver from wear. I've heard from a number of people that it's a good gauge to determine when it needs to be changed out.

I'm going to fit a new chain at 1500 to try and prolong the life of my cassette. A new cassette is R7500. I'm not keen to buy a new one anytime soon.

Edited by Monark

My 12 speed black XX SRAM Eagle chain has 1400km on it and the inside face in now completely silver from wear. I've heard from a number of people that it's a good gauge to determine when it needs to be changed out.

I'm going to fit a new chain at 1500 to try and prolong the life of my cassette. A new cassette is R7500. I'm not keen to buy a new one anytime soon.

Use a chain checker to check the stretch on it - the coating has nothing to do with the lifespan of the chain.

From all accounts you should be getting many more km from an XX1 chain.

Hence I prefer the gold chain as the external coating doesn't wear as fast or seem as obvious.

1500km is nothing for that chain. It's probably just run in. If you don't want it PM me and send it my way please :)

I'd be very surprised if the chain checker shows more than 0.1% wear

My Eagle GX setup lasted around 1500km before I had to change the whole lot. Chain had worn to the point that 0.75 could slip in easily, front chain ring was making a big noise with the new chain, and the chain was slipping on two cassette cogs if I put big power down. I was religious about chain cleaning and lubrication.

Now I am running with two XX1 chains and intend to add a 3rd into the rotation. Hopefully I will get 10 000km form this setup. The XX1 chain does seem to be wearing slower than the GX chain.

I am amazed at the life some of you guys are getting from your chains!

My Eagle GX setup lasted around 1500km before I had to change the whole lot. Chain had worn to the point that 0.75 could slip in easily, front chain ring was making a big noise with the new chain, and the chain was slipping on two cassette cogs if I put big power down. I was religious about chain cleaning and lubrication.

Now I am running with two XX1 chains and intend to add a 3rd into the rotation. Hopefully I will get 10 000km form this setup. The XX1 chain does seem to be wearing slower than the GX chain.

I am amazed at the life some of you guys are getting from your chains!

Your GX cassette would have lasted a lot longer if you changed the chain earlier.

I got about 1000 km from mine. Little more from the X01.

Also consider the X01 cassette. Frightfully expensive but it's hardened as opposed to the GX.

But if the chain doesn't wear the cassette and chain rings will wear a lot slower, so XX1 chain is the way to go

Your GX cassette would have lasted a lot longer if you changed the chain earlier.

I got about 1000 km from mine. Little more from the X01.

Also consider the X01 cassette. Frightfully expensive but it's hardened as opposed to the GX.

But if the chain doesn't wear the cassette and chain rings will wear a lot slower, so XX1 chain is the way to go

For sure I agree with you. I was just so used to my Shimano 10 speed where I would run the chain way worse than that and the new chain would still work on the old cassette. By comparison my worn GX cassette still looks good.

I will probably spring for the X01 cassette next time. This time I got caught by surprise so was out of the budget.

For sure I agree with you. I was just so used to my Shimano 10 speed where I would run the chain way worse than that and the new chain would still work on the old cassette. By comparison my worn GX cassette still looks good.

I will probably spring for the X01 cassette next time. This time I got caught by surprise so was out of the budget.

Those big sprockets with all those teeth in mesh with the chain don’t tolerate worn chains very well. A little wear shoes itself as a chain not meshing with the teeth in the lower half of the sprocket. That’s the big difference. The cassettes are actually harder than the old 10speed stuff

Those big sprockets with all those teeth in mesh with the chain don’t tolerate worn chains very well. A little wear shoes itself as a chain not meshing with the teeth in the lower half of the sprocket. That’s the big difference. The cassettes are actually harder than the old 10speed stuff

Your theory is sound but funny enough in my case it was not the big sprockets that it was slipping on. It was the sprockets in the middle of the range as I probably spend the most time in them. Certainly agree even the GX cassette seems to be of higher quality than the HG50 Shimano I was using, which is why I was surprised it was slipping.

Busy having my GX drivetrain replaced after about 8000km, it still works but not smoothly and has become noisy, that's cassette, chain and chainring.

• 9 months later...

Hi guys, I bought a tool to test my chain ware today and the tool shows chain needs to be replaced. It not the parktool that shows .5 ect ware. The problem is my LBS does not have chains in stock on 12 spd.

would I damage components if i do another 200 or so Km on it till they get their stock?

I have done 3500+ km on my whatever chain, sunrace 50-11 with a 35 up front. I cant change the chain now as it jumps, but is fine with the old chain. I just have to deal with sloppy shifting. So for now that is ok. I recon another few k km to go yet. Will have to change drive-train before around the Pot I think.