I didn't finish the Epic because.....and the after effects

Have you completed an epic? If yes, cool, if no, please comment once you have experienced it. I can assure you, lining up, at least once, is a massive highlight for any avid MTBer.

Different strokes for different folks. Is the Epic something I'd like to do? Yeah... definitely one day. But right now if I had 90k lying around there are many many mtb trips and events that are above the epic on my bucket list - Kingdom Enduro, Andes Pacifico, The Swiss Epic, a few trips to BC in Canada, any Alpine bike park, the list goes on.

The Epic is no doubt an awesome event, and I can see why it's the ultimate event for many, but one can be a very avid mtber and not see the Epic as the be all and end all of the mtb world.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Done the epic twice, 08 and 09, heartily recommend it to all the cyclists over here. Or the Pioneer, also a fantastic event. In 09 I got a stomach bug the night before the last stage, oh man that was a freaking nightmare (and there was a section where nobody was allowed to overtake...I eventually had a buildup of maybe 10 teams behind me who had caught up and were cussing the daylights out of me as I weaved around all stuffed and weak). Made it to the finish, though, thank goodness.

Is it worth the money? Yes, if you can afford it, no if you can't. I can't afford it these days,so-.

It's a fairly reasonable comment he made. Epic is certainly not on my list of must do things.. Even if I was gifted an entry im not sure I'd want to do it.. But.. Not sure this is the thread to discuss that

The highlighted bit ^^^ Far more interested in people's stories on how they didn't finish the Epic.

Enough other threads on how the Epic is really a waste of money

Edited by Skubarra

The highlighted bit ^^^ Far more interested in people's stories on how they didn't finish the Epic.

Enough other threads on how the Epic is really a waste of money

Agreed

On that note... My friend tells a great yarn about the infamous rainy year when it was point to point still. Round about hermanus area with a day to go.. Tired..gatvol... And their backsides raw from the what they had just endured.....they managed to out off the blue secure a luxury room in one of the wine estates in the area and unashamedly the two of them lay in pure comfort, buck naked, on the rooms double bed... And had the best nights sleep in well over a week!

the consumerism of it all

Eh? What’s that?

In SA

if u run people ask have u done comrades

If you cycle, have you done Argust or 94.7

Millions get spent by folks preparing to do these year in and out

Nobody outside of cycling asks if u done epic.. yet

Edited by SwissVan

I was commenting to my training partner yesterday that all the riders seem to be so skinny. But I think that is because you only see the top riders on TV.

To the okes that were there, are there real buffalos riding this race? Like in big big boys.

This race scares the crap out of me. Dont know why. If I ever got the opportunity to ride it, I would really need to mentally prepare. Woulndt want to mind fark myself.

I think we were probably the tallest team .We both ride XXL bikes and weigh close to a100kg each and we rode in the Grand masters category.This was my first Epic .Our only goal was to ride consistently and finish ,which we did each day with about 90minutes to spare .The route was really good .We rode every worthwhile piece of single track in the western cape .You need to prepare by riding events like W2W and then add some miles to that .I feel i got my monies worth and bucket list lifetime experience .I don,t think i will do it again ,unless i can ride with my son one day .Many other places to ride still

I was commenting to my training partner yesterday that all the riders seem to be so skinny. But I think that is because you only see the top riders on TV.

To the okes that were there, are there real buffalos riding this race? Like in big big boys.

This race scares the crap out of me. Dont know why. If I ever got the opportunity to ride it, I would really need to mentally prepare. Woulndt want to mind fark myself.

Ek se maar liewer niks [emoji87]

Sent from my LG-D958 using Tapatalk

I often see Marius Hurter in the gym, and hes a real unit. His body fat is probably around 10%, but he weighs no less than 115 tot 120kg? He is massive. He finished his 6th epic this year, as far as I know.

Have you completed an epic?  If yes, cool, if no, please comment once you have experienced it.  I can assure you, lining up, at least once, is a massive highlight for any avid MTBer.

Here we go again.

Here we go again.

I do love the way that some Epic riders think they belong in a special club that only they get to have opinions on.

Ahh the ego - it is a fun and ridiculous thing to watch.

We rode every worthwhile piece of single track in the western cape .

You are making a very, very big mistake. Go ride Tokai and all the TBMTB trails, for example, and let me know what you think of the epic single track. Did you even ride Welvanpas this year?

I do love the way that some Epic riders think they belong in a special club that only they get to have opinions on.

Ahh the ego - it is a fun and ridiculous thing to watch.

Can't wait to hear how many Epics he has ridden.

Can't wait to hear how many Epics he has ridden.

Does it really matter? None of us have ridden a Pro Tour race but we all have opinions on them....