Is this wheel klaar?

Craig Armstrong

Honestly that's what I was hoping someone would say. I wasn't sure if I was just being stupid for thinking that though 

New wheel or new head?

It probably won't fail that spectacularly that you need a new head, but common sense says to replace the rim asap.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First lesson - don't buy American Classic wheels unless they're new and you don't ride hard at all.

They're light but I'd rather go carbon to save weight than these paper-thin rims.

I would get a replacement rim from Rapide and change the wheel.

On that point, check whether you would need new spokes too, and I'd recommend using brass nipples as replacements. It might be cheaper to just buy a replacement wheel than to build a different rim onto that hub.

If I remember correctly Wide Lightning rims are about R3500 per rim.

..........If I remember correctly Wide Lightning rims are about R3500 per rim.

:eek:

Time for a new rim  - you don't want to be worrying about that wheel every time you ride.

Depending on your taste and budget, get a rim from Rapide (as already suggested) or from WTB, Raceface, Spank or DT Swiss (or spoil yourself to 2 new rims, maybe even carbon)

To give you an idea, to replace the rim with a good one and double butted spokes and brass nipples will cost you about R2000 - it'll then be better than new and should last forever.

Please keep your GoPro charged. I will pay cash to see the action replay WHEN that wheel fails catastrophically at speed.

Fixed it for you

Honestly that's what I was hoping someone would say. I wasn't sure if I was just being stupid for thinking that though 

depends on if you want to hear the correct answer or if you're interested in the answer that you were hoping to hear...  So you are not stupid to think that you can repair this rim (most of us gravitate to this option due to cost), but in this case it's just not worth it.

i am a forensic engineer, meaning that i spend a large part of my working life looking at broken equipment after it failed.  partly in an attempt to determine who is responsible for the costs associated with the failure (manufacturer or user) and also to understand why it failed and what can be done to prevent it from happening again...

in physical asset management we work on the principle that once you pick up a defect, you have already depleted the useful life of that asset, whether it is an obvious defect (such as your rim) or even internal pitting of a bearing that can only be identified with high-frequency vibration measurement of an otherwise perfectly functional piece of equipment.  If you pick up a non-repairable defect (which your rim clearly is) then you write off that asset from your books immediately and you start planning for the replacement and/or repair.  the same asset management principles still apply, whether for a R10 Million crusher component on a mine or for a R5k rim.

Ride it until you can't ride anymore and then after you have built a new wheel use that old bad boy for some race support( i.e. make a f*** load of noise :whistling: ) #HecklersStation :clap:

Edited by Brick_Top

There was talk some time back that American Classic was closing down world wide and they were hoping for a buyer to keep the brand going.

Has this happened, is AC still going or have they closed?

First lesson - don't buy American Classic wheels unless they're new and you don't ride hard at all.

They're light but I'd rather go carbon to save weight than these paper-thin rims.

I would get a replacement rim from Rapide and change the wheel.

On that point, check whether you would need new spokes too, and I'd recommend using brass nipples as replacements. It might be cheaper to just buy a replacement wheel than to build a different rim onto that hub.

If I remember correctly Wide Lightning rims are about R3500 per rim.

Did this event on AM Wide lightnings.

ccs-38514-0-88657700-1534879029.jpg

They may have a fairly soft side impact resistance but they can actually take a huge amount of damage before they fail

Did this event on AM Wide lightnings.

ccs-38514-0-88657700-1534879029.jpg

They may have a fairly soft side impact resistance but they can actually take a huge amount of damage before they fail

Great picture :thumbup: