Mental block .

I have a mental block ii a don't train my set target of hours or kilometers per week . The next week  when i then go training i cant perform / push myself as hard as i would do due to me thinking that the kilometers i lost last week have cost me and my legs feel heavy . I generally do 250 km per week a mixture of road and Mtb off road . I have a circuit of 40km with 600m of climbing  ( its in a residential area so a lot of cross roads to slow down at ) that i do on a monday and can comfortably average 28kph on my mtb bike with slicks . Today and a few times before in the rainy season when training is not possible i battle to average 22 to 24 kph . What am i doing to myself to cause this .

How long are you currently cycling, are you a competitive person by nature? Maybe you are missing out on one of the most important factors of cycling, the ENJOYMENT FACTOR. Take time to make it fun again, leave your gps at home for one ride a week, do not worry about stats, just go out, have fun on the bike. No problems on improving oneself, but try not to be to hard on yourself, do not forget to have fun on the bike. Thats my 2c,good luck.

Maybe you are setting your goals unrealisticaly high and have come to expect yourself not to make it. Self fulfilling prophecy... A good place to start IMO would be to drop the target a bit - high enough to still be challenging, but low enough that you will reach it. Reach it consistently for a few weeks to break that mental block, and then build up slowly from there.

Happens to everyone , if just doing it for fun 

take A few days/weeks off and whne you get the urge to go riding again do the stuff that got you into it , the stuff you found most fun 

shouldn't take more than A week ;)

However if you have an event thats coming up you might want to get ridf of the entry and sort this out first , don't try to use it as motivation is you don't want to be on the bike in the first place.

If you feel you might need to talk to someone , then go talk to A professional 

** Edit- I have no degree and might just be talking out of my a$$ 

I have gone through this though :)

What corrie said.

Stop overthinking and chasing the numbers. Just ride your bike.

Go ride fun places to spice things up, and get out of the repetitiveness of the local loop.

I must mention that i  am  hell of competitive , 66 years old and do not ride races anymore ( A promise i made my wife because then life becomes impossible for her ) We are a bunch ( Cranky Old Bastards see my avatar ) all retired and old bikies but the competitive spirit among us is there all the time  .I'm always trying to beat one of our members who weighs 60 kg and climbs like Shurter . 

Thanks Corrie , that about sums up my thinking at times except for the racing aspect , although our Saturday long rides are considered races as we race for every KOM climbs we get to , even if its only a 50m climb over the motorway ..

Then walk away, because one of you will end up dead.

You'll find the need to ride when you shouldn't, like at the onset of flu or something.

You're not deriving an income from the sport, so it should be based on the amount of pleasure extracted from each visit to the arena. You're old enough to remember the pleasure dome. Before it's too late

What are you building up to, do you have an event. 

We go through this all the time, people get busy at work, have kids, move house, renovate etc etc. 

Unless you are training and have a goal in mind I am not sure what the pressure is? My next goal is only on the 23rd of November, so anything before that is base and just enjoying the bike. try some new routes and just have fun. 

Then walk away, because one of you will end up dead.

You'll find the need to ride when you shouldn't, like at the onset of flu or something.

You're not deriving an income from the sport, so it should be based on the amount of pleasure extracted from each visit to the arena. You're old enough to remember the pleasure dome. Before it's too late

Or this, Calvin took 4 months off the bike probably the best thing he did I think, now he enjoys the rides again. 

Wont lie though, miss the mates in the mornings though. (Because I have to buy my own coffee)

Dont you have an underlying health issue? I had one for a few years and i just could not enjoy cycling with my friends anymore. The same friends that normally sucked on my wheel, where killing me on every training session, social rides and races. I there for stopped completely till i sorted my issues out. I am now slowly getting back into cycling and do short little "races" 30/40km just to get the feeling of it again. The other positive thing i did was to get a coach and since we are on the same page lately things are improving!!!

I cannot say hang in there because i quit, to get my health sorted out......but what i can say is to Stay Strong and be Positive!!!

Learn to chill

Learn to enjoy cycling

If you are doing an average of 28km/h on a moutain bike you are not enjoying your riding you are driven. Don't obsess.

Go find some trails to ride.

Bizarrely, my 365 challenge last year sorted this out for me - my 'rest' days became explore days, where I rediscovered my neighbourhood and the joys of riding just because I can. And then, I started doing more 'rest' days, because riding without a predetermined goal is why we got into this in the first place.Trying a new coffee shop you have always been too fast to stop at, hooking left down that road you never tried, etc.

Sounds to me like you not resting enough (need to beat others every time) and might be deep into overtraining ... 

Can I guess  you not sleeping very well either?

Sounds to me like you not resting enough (need to beat others every time) and might be deep into overtraining ... 

Can I guess  you not sleeping very well either?

Was wondering the same thing when I read the OP's post - I realised as you get older you have to adapt your training schedule to allow more time for recovery, you simply can't train the same way that worked for you 5 years ago.

Archived