Those using SONOFF devices, are they Apple Homekit compatible.

I'm about to go down the worm hole of home automation, really simple stuff right now like a set of lights i'm about to install outside that I'd like to control remotely rather than adding a physical switch somewhere.

But since the entire echo system in my house is Apple, I dont know if i should be getting Apple Home compatible HA devices. Dont want to outlay lots of money on stuff now, only to find out later its not going to do everything I want.

(I dont know what "everything I want" is just yet, I suspect once I go down the worm hole I'll start wanting to do more and more)

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if it has been discussed.

Do any of you use cameras with speakers at home linked to the house wifi so you can dial in and check if all is OK when the alarm goes off?

Those using SONOFF devices, are they Apple Homekit compatible.

I'm about to go down the worm hole of home automation, really simple stuff right now like a set of lights i'm about to install outside that I'd like to control remotely rather than adding a physical switch somewhere.

But since the entire echo system in my house is Apple, I dont know if i should be getting Apple Home compatible HA devices. Dont want to outlay lots of money on stuff now, only to find out later its not going to do everything I want.

(I dont know what "everything I want" is just yet, I suspect once I go down the worm hole I'll start wanting to do more and more)

Apple Homekit is a bit of a misnomer because it isnt actually a tangible thing.

First question off the bat is, do you own an Apple Homepod? Im guessing no because very few people would think its a good idea buying an ~R8k smart speaker!

I have a fully Apple household too and Homekit isnt really a thing, the certification cost is too high for manufacturers like iTead(Sonoff) to pay licensing for.

Long story short is that the smart speakers from Apple/Amazon/Google need to be able to talk to a device if you want to use voice commands to turn it on and off. Amazon and Google have no issues but Apple is another issue altogether.

IF you just want to use the app that the device comes with on your iphone or ipad then no worries, Sonoff will work just fine for that.

I personally use Home Assistant as the hub for my home automation, through that Im able to extend any device I have to being "homekit" compatible. So I can ask Siri to turn on or off lights, open/close front gate or garage door etc.

I can also do the same with Amazon or Google at the same time and the Echo speaker I have is great for that.

Did any of that make sense? Im not sure it would to me and I just wrote it!

Not sure if it has been discussed.

Do any of you use cameras with speakers at home linked to the house wifi so you can dial in and check if all is OK when the alarm goes off?

I dont have them currently but they are on my radar. Hikvision are pretty much top when it comes to cameras and most have a built in mic.

Alternatively you get those basic wifi cams that sit inside your house and can alert your phone on an app if movement triggers them etc.

Apple Homekit is a bit of a misnomer because it isnt actually a tangible thing.

First question off the bat is, do you own an Apple Homepod? Im guessing no because very few people would think its a good idea buying an ~R8k smart speaker!

I have a fully Apple household too and Homekit isnt really a thing, the certification cost is too high for manufacturers like iTead(Sonoff) to pay licensing for.

Long story short is that the smart speakers from Apple/Amazon/Google need to be able to talk to a device if you want to use voice commands to turn it on and off. Amazon and Google have no issues but Apple is another issue altogether.

IF you just want to use the app that the device comes with on your iphone or ipad then no worries, Sonoff will work just fine for that.

I personally use Home Assistant as the hub for my home automation, through that Im able to extend any device I have to being "homekit" compatible. So I can ask Siri to turn on or off lights, open/close front gate or garage door etc.

I can also do the same with Amazon or Google at the same time and the Echo speaker I have is great for that.

Did any of that make sense? Im not sure it would to me and I just wrote it!

all makes perfect sense.

The only time I talk to any of my devices is in the morning when I need a weather report whilst getting dressed, I dont see myself talking to the house to make lights go on and off.

Thanks for the reply.

• 1 month later...

So I decided to go the Sonoff route for now.
1) they're cheap
2) they're easily flashed if you want to run HA or something.

Installed a TH16 to replace the pool timer
A sonoff basic for the pool light
A Dual Channel for some lights I've put on the wall. Went Dual channel as there is a second set of lights I'm wanting to run there in teh near future.

Simple enough to setup, simple enough to use. Even the wife is impressed.

What I do find strange is the TH16 and the basic are sitting next to each other yet they are reporting different wifi strengths.

1) they're cheap

A Dual Channel for some lights I've put on the wall. Went Dual channel as there is a second set of lights I'm wanting to run there in teh near future.

What I do find strange is the TH16 and the basic are sitting next to each other yet they are reporting different wifi strengths.

WiFi is a dark art in my mind, I think devices next to each other can have a significant impact on each other's signal strength.

Netis Router for R165 on firstshop.co.za changed my life as it stronger than any of the other brands. Fixed all my Internet problems at home

Jumping in here .. house been automated for about 9 years now with many different technologies over the years. Settled on 1 system for last 5... MQTT

MQTT is the central buss of all communications, all devices simply talk to or get alerts from it.

Running following:

• Custom ESP8266 device to interface to  Paradox MG5050 system alarm
  • Qwickswitch USB to mqtt gateway for dimmers/wall switches (5 ish)
  • Sonoff for on/off and temprature sensors (already does mqtt) (about 20)
  • DuhnHam bush Aircon to MQTT gateway  (2 units)
  • Custom esp8266 12v dimmers for LED that speaks MQTT (~5 units)
  • Barionet 100 speaking mqtt for "old lights" system in house (1 controlling 5 lights)
  • Openhab running on PI (still looking for better system, need reboot every few months)
  • Alexa connected to openhab cloud  (just works)
  • Homekit connected to openhab ()
  • Victron CCGX mqtt to get solar stats.
  • probably few other things I might have forgotten (have 48+ wifi devices registered most of the times..)
  •  

They MAIN thing with homeautomation is to always remmeber .. if you need to touch or do something for your house todo something , its not automation , its simply a glorified wall switch :)   . 

If you need assistance .. welcome to ask , I've tested, made/done most homeautomation things over the years

1) they're cheap

Wifi is simple ... its crap unless its works, then its not so crap.  My wifi mythology is simple, if connected and works, just leave it alone. on home automation you don't need speed , just need stay connected.

Edited by Karman de Lange

• 5 months later...

without sifting through the entire thread, is there anyone running some sort of smart switching on their geyser ?

My geyser wise has died a second time, instead of replacing it I was thinking of going the smart route.

Only thing is I cant find an off the shelf solution.

I need something that will have an iOS app and integrate with Google home

If no off the shelf solution then I'm thinking a Sonoff TH16 (I already have a number of sonoff devices), use the temp sensor to sense water temps in the geyser, use the switching of the Sonoff to turn on/off a relay for the element.

How are you going to install the temperature sensor into the geyser?

TH16 is rated for 3.3kW I believe, but it will fail over time. These mechanical relays don't like switching on and off all the time, especially at such high loads.

without sifting through the entire thread, is there anyone running some sort of smart switching on their geyser ?

My geyser wise has died a second time, instead of replacing it I was thinking of going the smart route.

Only thing is I cant find an off the shelf solution.

I need something that will have an iOS app and integrate with Google home

If no off the shelf solution then I'm thinking a Sonoff TH16 (I already have a number of sonoff devices), use the temp sensor to sense water temps in the geyser, use the switching of the Sonoff to turn on/off a relay for the element.

Sonoff POW R2 is the only thing that works.

The majority of Sonoffs are 16A rated where the POW is 20A if Im not mistaken.

The other benefit is that it has power monitoring to check in realtime and cumulative stats too.

You can also connect the Sonoff branded DS18B20 temperature sensor to do other automations.

Has the iOS app and you can set schedules on it.

TH16 is rated for 3.3kW I believe, but it will fail over time. These mechanical relays don't like switching on and off all the time, especially at such high loads.

You can wrap the sensor conductor under the insulation on the inlet pipe in solar setups but not sure about traditional electric geysers.

current geyserwise has a temp sensor very similar to the TH16 one. This just slide straight into the cavity where your normal thermostat goes into.

TH16 might be rated for 3.3kw, but only for 16amps, there is no way I'm running my geyser with just that, hence the relay. 

Sonoff POW R2 is the only thing that works.

The majority of Sonoffs are 16A rated where the POW is 20A if Im not mistaken.

The other benefit is that it has power monitoring to check in realtime and cumulative stats too.

You can also connect the Sonoff branded DS18B20 temperature sensor to do other automations.

Has the iOS app and you can set schedules on it.

I think most sonoffs are 10A, I know I had to get a TH16 to get 16amps for the pool motor.

Are you saying teh DS18B20 can plug straight into a POW ?

I think most sonoffs are 10A, I know I had to get a TH16 to get 16amps for the pool motor.

Are you saying teh DS18B20 can plug straight into a POW ?

just checked, POW is rated at 15A, not going to be good enough I'm afraid.