10 cyclist hit & run incident - Centurion

Fred van Vlaanderen

Imagine if the police and justice system could be privatised..... not by the guptas of course!!

.....but what about the vigilantes and the kangaroo courts ? Not private enough? :ph34r: 

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Imagine if the police and justice system could be privatised..... not by the guptas of course!!

On a more serious note, policing has been privatized by anyone who can afford armed response. If my memory serves me right, the private security industry in SA is much bigger than the SAPS. Some sources say it is bigger than SAPS and the SANDF combined

https://businesstech.co.za/news/government/251121/private-security-vs-police-officer-numbers-in-south-africa/

On a more serious note, policing has been privatized by anyone who can afford armed response. If my memory serves me right, the private security industry in SA is much bigger than the SAPS. Some sources say it is bigger than SAPS and the SANDF combined

https://businesstech.co.za/news/government/251121/private-security-vs-police-officer-numbers-in-south-africa/

I mean detectives and real police work which goes further than armed response. Police that will go and arrest punks that cause mayhem like this case.

Here’s the problem:

“Policing is an entirely national government function”

armed response companies and police services are like fax machines...used for insurance purposes only...case numbers etc...with all the modern tech...one man in a vehicle responding to a house invasion or armed robbery is a laugh a minute...not sure that this applies to all armed response companies...but the ones i have encountered seem pretty useless against armed robbers.

a women was gang raped...her father hired a private investigator...3 of the 4 resisted arrest and didnt make it to hospital.

hire a private investigator.

armed response companies and police services are like fax machines...used for insurance purposes only...case numbers etc...with all the modern tech...one man in a vehicle responding to a house invasion or armed robbery is a laugh a minute...not sure that this applies to all armed response companies...but the ones i have encountered seem pretty useless against armed robbers.

a women was gang raped...her father hired a private investigator...3 of the 4 resisted arrest and didnt make it to hospital.

hire a private investigator.

I get your point, but there are some damn decent armed response companies around.

Is it in any country?

Dunno

Is there any police service as bad?

Anyway, could be a world first, trend setting

????

Here’s the problem:

“Policing is an entirely national government function”

When the City of Cape Town wanted to start a "city police" that was the argument from central government. They went to court and won........now both Cape Town and Johannesburg have a Metro police force independent of central government. I'm not sure, but I think it falls under local government rather than provincial government and is funded by ratepayers.

Another version is the local "improvement districts" within the Metro. Local ratepayers in a specific suburb pay extra for patrols, cleaning etc. These are independent bodies / nonprofit companies. Just about every suburb that can afford it now have that.    

This isn't the first thread to raise comments about cyclists, and won't be the last. I just prefer to stay away from commenting.

The last time I saw road traffic death stats, it was about 1200 per month, and not only during Easter/Christmas holiday periods, but every month. Cyclists (commuters and hobbyists) account for a low number (can't remember the exact number) while motor vehicles were the highest. Pedestrians were also high up on the list too. If cars were so "good" why are there so many accidents involving cars? Speeding, mobile phone use, drinking & driving, overtaking when not safe, fatigue, and other factors play a big role in this and has nothing to do with cyclists riding on the road.

The very same people that say taxis and cyclists don't obey the rules, are probably just as guilty as the ones they point out. When driving, I stick to the speed limit, courtesy of my insurance policy with Discovery Insure, yet there are very few cars around me that drive slower than me, especially on urban roads - where the limit is 60km/h. The highway is a different story - I drive just below 120km/h (when possible, but not faster), and my Garmin says I'm doing about 114-116Km/h. I pass, and get passed by, many vehicles, so it's difficult to determine which is more (slower or faster drivers). Point is, that any motorist that points a finger at someone, is probably also guilty of breaking the rules of the road. 

Road deaths in South Africa is an endemic problem that should be addressed by government, but that's a whole different topic as they simply don't care about anyone but themselves.

My wife often reminds me that she fears getting THAT call (when I go out riding), yet it could easily happen while driving in my car, and being in the wrong place at the right time or right place at the wrong time. I've already survived one head-on collision in my life (where I was the sole survivor), and the truck driver ran away, never to be found... case closed.

When the City of Cape Town wanted to start a "city police" that was the argument from central government. They went to court and won........now both Cape Town and Johannesburg have a Metro police force independent of central government. I'm not sure, but I think it falls under local government rather than provincial government and is funded by ratepayers.

Another version is the local "improvement districts" within the Metro. Local ratepayers in a specific suburb pay extra for patrols, cleaning etc. These are independent bodies / nonprofit companies. Just about every suburb that can afford it now have that.

Metro Police is traffic cops and bylaws - not the same as SAPS

Some proper knobby comments there....I have a friend who has horses in the UK, she posted a meme thing the other day with a guy looking shocked and then happy and the caption was "I thought I'd run over a squirrel but it was actually a cyclist"....

I asked her if she enjoys it when the cars pass close by when she is on the road with her horse or if its a lot of fun when people chuck things at you as they pass by....Her riding a horse alongside a road is a bit worse than me riding my bike on the road...at least my bike doesn't k@k itself and shy left/right/forwards/backwards/skywards when a leaf blows across its path.....!

Some proper knobby comments there....I have a friend who has horses in the UK, she posted a meme thing the other day with a guy looking shocked and then happy and the caption was "I thought I'd run over a squirrel but it was actually a cyclist"....

I asked her if she enjoys it when the cars pass close by when she is on the road with her horse or if its a lot of fun when people chuck things at you as they pass by....Her riding a horse alongside a road is a bit worse than me riding my bike on the road...at least my bike doesn't k@k itself and shy left/right/forwards/backwards/skywards when a leaf blows across its path.....!

This type of topic always makes me sad. Whether in the UK or SA or Ireland, it just seems to be the same old car v cyclist bull**** and people keep getting killed. How do people make the comments that they do on that mybroadband thing when they are talking about a father, son, brother and husband who has passed away?

so, the suspect still at large?

nothing reported on the sites i can see, but often the story goes cold as the shock is now gone.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – TSHWANE DIAMOND CYCLE CLASSIC, PRESENTED BY ULTIMATE OFFICE NATIONAL

CYCLISTS STAGE MASS MEMORIAL RIDES IN HONOUR OF KILLED PRETORIA CYCLIST

The memorial service of killed Pretoria cyclist Andrew Randall on Tuesday will be accompanied by mass participation memorial rides, starting from five different venues in Centurion. The rides will end at the Doringkloof Family Church in time for the service, which commences at 11h00.

Tshwane Diamond Classic route designer, David Labuschagne, a survivor in the group of 14 cyclists into which a motorist crashed last Friday, said everyone who rides a bicycle is welcome to join these rides to commemorate the life of Randall.

“The past week has been very emotional for cyclists in Pretoria following the fatal incident,” said Labuschagne. “We felt that the rides would be a fitting way of paying tribute to Randall and to place the spotlight on road safety for cyclists.

“Since announcing the news of the memorial rides this morning, almost a thousand cyclists have already confirmed their participation. We are hoping that this will create a strong platform for awareness about road safety for cyclists.

“The Tshwane Metro have indicated that they will provide safe passage for cyclists on the memorial rides. We are very grateful for their support,” said Labuschagne, who is also the chairman of the Bestmed TBC Club, Pretoria’s largest cycling club with more than 1000 members.

He has confirmed that a large contingent of the club will come out to support the rides and will also take part in the upcoming Tshwane Diamond Classic, which is presented in honour of Randall by Ultimate Office National on 26 May.

Mauritz Meyer, head of the Tshwane Diamond Classic organising committee, has confirmed that the event will observe a moment’s silence before the start.

The Tshwane Metro has also confirmed that a senior government official will address the field before the start of the race and that they will ensure strong on-road support for cyclists during the race.

“Specially designed race medals will also be dedicated to Randall’s memory,” said Meyer. “He took part in our events regularly over many years and his death is tragic. Our hearts go out to his family and we hope that the race can play its part to let his legacy live on.”

Meyer is also the founder of the big Tshwane Classic, which started in 2017, and signalled the revival of road cycling in the city. “We are invested in cycling in Pretoria along with the Tshwane Metro, and we are launching a concerted awareness drive around cyclist’s safety in the lead-up to the Diamond Classic as well as at the big Tshwane Classic in November this year.

“A lot of people say that these initiatives don’t make a difference, but we believe every little bit helps. If everybody does their part, it’s possible to establish a safe cycling environment in Pretoria,” he said.

With more than 10 000 cyclists expected at the start line on 3 November this year, the Tshwane Classic, presented by Office National and Jacaranda FM, is the capital’s flagship event.

Meyer has assured that cyclists’ safety is at the epicentre of every decision and logistical detail in the lead-up to the Tshwane Classic, which has positioned itself alongside the Cape Town Cycle Tour and 947 Cycle Challenge as South Africa’s signature mass participation road cycling events.

The memorial rides will start at the following times and places:

09h30: Forno’s Centurion Mall

09h45: The Bestmed Bicycle Company Club

10h00: Dros/Epic Sports Jean Avenue

10h15: Wimpy Doringkloof Mall

10h30: Doringkloof Family Church

I get your point, but there are some damn decent armed response companies around.

I agree with you in some cases...however we have 3 armed response companies in our area...barely a handful of community members attended the meetings ...crime levels went from a stolen wheel off a vehicle in 5 years to 3 hijacking incidents in 1 week in 1 road...house invasions became as common as hijackings...armed response companies still do the same ol same ol ...and so the crime increased ...then the public decided enough is enough ...now if you dont get to the meeting early you stand outside and we have 54 patrollers rotating 24 hrs in our area...crime has dropped by 80 - 90 % 

The only reason i pay for an armed response is for insurance...i would much rather pay the patrollers to open a call centre in our area...if i have a problem i call the neighbourhood watch number...then press the panic button.

You want to fix the carnage on the road ...we need to communicate with the public...attend public meetings...encourage events in your area...get people out onto the road...dont organise mass rides and block the roads ...ride like pricks all over the road ...all you gona do is pi$$ off more people and get more people making stupid comments about cyclist on social media. 

I have noticed there has been an increase of "Joe soaps" (random people)  just getting out on the road and riding their bikes in our area.

Archived