Wahoo kickr, climb and headwind

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This has turned into a bit of a discussion about fans, but I actually don't have one and I really should get something while I save for a headwind :D

What fans do you guys use? Ideally I'd like to get something ducted or directional but cheap.

I have an AEG floorfan, that I use, very strong. Not very quiet.

I’ve also got an AEG, one of those big ones. Definitely not quiet!

What I have been searching for is a centrifugal air blower, much higher air volume than a fan and somewhat more directional. Can’t find them in SA though. The headwind is closer to the blower than a fan. I do agree the “heart rate linked speed” of the fan is a complete load of marketing BS. But the air flow was very nice when I tried the demo thingy at cyclelab.

So why would you need this? Just asking as a headwind on an IDT will do nothing for the resistance? or am I missing something here? Is the IDT not doing all the manipulation. A fan is just so you don't overheat. What next have 360 degree fans to simulate crosswinds and tail gutter winds. WTF?

So why would you need this? Just asking as a headwind on an IDT will do nothing for the resistance? or am I missing something here? Is the IDT not doing all the manipulation. A fan is just so you don't overheat. What next have 360 degree fans to simulate crosswinds and tail gutter winds. WTF?

The fan does not affect resistance or trainer feel, merely as a cooling device. Centrifugal fans in general have a higher pressure airflow for a relatively lower air volume and tend to be more directional, thus higher air velocity over your skin. The kickr headwind (I stand to be corrected) operates in one of three modes. Manual where you set the air velocity, heart rate linked where it increases air velocity as heart rate climbs thus providing more cooling as effort increases or simulation mode where it is controlled by a metric of both effort and speed in game with something like zwift.

My current big AEG fan sits about a metre to the front and right of my wheel block aimed at my torso, it does work but is not variable and, unless I get off the bike mid session, is fixed at whatever speed I set it. Also the air speed over the torso is adequate, but did not compare to the kickr headwind when I tried that at cyclelab.

The fan does not affect resistance or trainer feel, merely as a cooling device. Centrifugal fans in general have a higher pressure airflow for a relatively lower air volume and tend to be more directional, thus higher air velocity over your skin. The kickr headwind (I stand to be corrected) operates in one of three modes. Manual where you set the air velocity, heart rate linked where it increases air velocity as heart rate climbs thus providing more cooling as effort increases or simulation mode where it is controlled by a metric of both effort and speed in game with something like zwift.

My current big AEG fan sits about a metre to the front and right of my wheel block aimed at my torso, it does work but is not variable and, unless I get off the bike mid session, is fixed at whatever speed I set it. Also the air speed over the torso is adequate, but did not compare to the kickr headwind when I tried that at cyclelab.

Seems to me you just looking for reasons to buy this fan!!.... so go buy it.

Not sure why you need a variable speed fan when on the IDT, if so, you can get remote controlled fans which have 3 speeds, so no need to get off trainer.  I think I speak for most and we have the fan on the highest setting and leave it there, might be a little too cool when you start, but generally suffices when into the workout.

If one fan is not enough then add another fan, perhaps a pedestal fan with remote control for fan speed for the head and shoulders whilst your current fan does the torso

Seems to me you just looking for reasons to buy this fan!!.... so go buy it.

Not sure why you need a variable speed fan when on the IDT, if so, you can get remote controlled fans which have 3 speeds, so no need to get off trainer. I think I speak for most and we have the fan on the highest setting and leave it there, might be a little too cool when you start, but generally suffices when into the workout.

If one fan is not enough then add another fan, perhaps a pedestal fan with remote control for fan speed for the head and shoulders whilst your current fan does the torso

The fan would not be the primary purchase, the package I was looking at was the kickr, the climb and the headwind. The cost of the kickr and climb (undiscounted) would be the same as the trifecta. The primary purchase is more the kickr as an upgrade to the snap. The climb and headwind are more “nice to have”.

Certainly when using the snap, I’ve never thought “I wish my fan speed would be variable”, as you have said, I usually just crank it to full power and make sure I pedal hard to warm up. Likewise I’ve never felt like I really need my front wheel to move vertically. That said, having a set of equipment that adds to immersion and more importantly detracts from the boredom of slogging on an IDT in the garage can’t hurt for training motivation.

Today’s the day I’m going to sit on the demo station at cyclelab and see if it’s worth the cash outlay.

• 3 months later...

Anybody using the climb with a MTB?

Does the fork negate some of the effect of the climb? As in the suspension absorb the movement?

I'm looking to get a dedicated bike for the kickr and since I only ride mtb was looking at getting a cheap hardtail but not sure if it will be better to use a roar bike with the climb.

Any thoughts?

Anybody using the climb with a MTB?

Does the fork negate some of the effect of the climb? As in the suspension absorb the movement?

I'm looking to get a dedicated bike for the kickr and since I only ride mtb was looking at getting a cheap hardtail but not sure if it will be better to use a roar bike with the climb.

Any thoughts?

Lockout?

Edit: also, no more so than it would doing a climb in reality

Edited by thisismyotherbike

I use a standard home fan (the three-speed type)

It is placed high and provides a nice air stream over me ....

BUT, I absolutely hate that cold airstream when starting the workout.  I got a remote setup which allows me to switch on the fan a few minutes into the ride.  REALLY works nicely !!

Sorry to knock the headwind but R4500 for a controlled fan is insane.

We can wire in a SONOFF (R66.00) switch and presto you can control it with your phone. 

So we just need a proper directional fan. These things are fairly common overseas, but impossible to find locally.

If anybody can find or source these things at a competitive price please do share with the rest of us. The picture below is an example of a very cool fan, although at 120V it is totally inappropriate for our grid.

post-27827-0-90885900-1566282919_thumb.png

We can wire in a SONOFF (R66.00) switch and presto you can control it with your phone. 

So we just need a proper directional fan. These things are fairly common overseas, but impossible to find locally.

If anybody can find or source these things at a competitive price please do share with the rest of us. The picture below is an example of a very cool fan, although at 120V it is totally inappropriate for our grid.

Hey Swift&Aero,

The Headwind is pricy... I must agree. 

Just a some notes on the Headwind and our experience with the import of anything labeled a "fan" over a certain wattage/Voltage. 

Headwind receives:

- Import Taxes of 15%

- Taxed by NRCS and due to certain wattage it must be taken apart by local testing facility. You must comply on all plug points and pay tax on these. 

- Taxed by ICASA and compliance testing for Bluetooth, ANT+ etc. Due to wattage they request certain testing to be done. 

This might be some of the reasons these fans are relatively hard to find. We had to jump through many hoops just to get the product to land in South Africa. On top of that... we do not make profit as a distributor on the Headwind, but we wanted the product to at least be considered by customers. 

It does however have some meaningful settings with HR/ZWIFT/SPEED etc. It is aesthetically pleasing in a cave set up and celebrates something I personally love... a design keeping a cyclist in mind. 

Your local Wahooligan

Christian

Do you happen to have a source for those R66 SONOFF switches? Cheapest I could find was close to R200 :(

Hey Swift&Aero,

The Headwind is pricy... I must agree. 

Just a some notes on the Headwind and our experience with the import of anything labeled a "fan" over a certain wattage/Voltage. 

Headwind receives:

- Import Taxes of 15%

- Taxed by NRCS and due to certain wattage it must be taken apart by local testing facility. You must comply on all plug points and pay tax on these. 

- Taxed by ICASA and compliance testing for Bluetooth, ANT+ etc. Due to wattage they request certain testing to be done. 

This might be some of the reasons these fans are relatively hard to find. We had to jump through many hoops just to get the product to land in South Africa. On top of that... we do not make profit as a distributor on the Headwind, but we wanted the product to at least be considered by customers. 

It does however have some meaningful settings with HR/ZWIFT/SPEED etc. It is aesthetically pleasing in a cave set up and celebrates something I personally love... a design keeping a cyclist in mind. 

Your local Wahooligan

Christian

Hi Christian

Thanks for clarifying the issues and challenges you have to deal with. It is frustrating the amount of loopholes you need to jump through, while at the same time big players like Makro and Wallmart just bring in the biggest scrap from the east and sell it on to unsuspecting customers, thus sending allot of Randelas overseas.

The value proposition is still something to keep in mind, and if the cost of a product is too high compared to the value that it adds to his/her life the customer will find another way to scratch that itch.

For me, the standard Goldair/Mellerware floor fan will have to do with the aforementioned Sonoff connected.

I love Wahoo products, they add immense value. It is just the Headwind that is not competitive at the moment and was just pointing it out.

I love your brand and team.

All the best