Cycling in The Netherlands

i24

That’s a bit of a generalization, my aunt had a tobacco and sweet shop in Vlaardingen (just outside Rotterdam), she’d chat with people for ages in the shop when they came in for a packet of smokes, but for her, the shop wasn’t about business, more about a social hub in the neighborhood!

Well a smokes shop is sorta the clubhouse for a bunch of junkies

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I found them to be quite friendly on the streets, when you out cycling or walking. Just a smile and a "Halo" usually got a friendly response.

I think shops are more self service - you are not supposed to actually ask for anything..

Ja, I was quite impressed with the self service side and that's going back some years now.

Would be interested to hear more. This sentence seems to imply more than just bike shops were a problem whilst you were in NL.

Here are few things that pissed me off about the Dutch...Cycling related. 

Dutchies in general are k∆k cyclists in-spite of having cycled their whole lives. They don't signal as often as they should and like to cut you off when turning left. A lot of them don't use lights at night which has caused an accident when cycling home one night. 

They allow small scooters on the bike lane which cause problems with youngsters not respecting other bike lane users and racing or riding recklessly. 

Bike shops don't really care about you as a loyal member and can be rude and patronizing when you ask a "stupid" question. I also had my bike boxed up before immigrating to Canada and the job was a little half assed (will invest in a decent bike box). They also don't wash your bike when servicing and charge a lot for doing really simple maintenance.

Other Dutch cyclists (recreation or sport) are pretty friendly and fun to ride with so there is no complaint there other than the lack hills :P

I happy be renting an Airbnb from a cyclist in Hamilton ON, and was immediately invited to ride with their group and giving some recommendations for bike shops in the area. 

Advice given to me about bike shops in NL is buy the tools and do it yourself cause they are not likely to do a good job. If you were wondering a bike shop in NL will charge you €135 per hour. 

I found them to be quite friendly on the streets, when you out cycling or walking. Just a smile and a "Halo" usually got a friendly response.

I think shops are more self service - you are not supposed to actually ask for anything..

That goes for every nationality. You smile, they smile back. 

Canadians are far more friendlier than the Dutch and don't talk to you in a condescending manner.  

Al they have to do is stop the pumps, that gets rid of about 40% of the country

Good for them Eksdom doesn't keep those pumps pumping! :ph34r:

So here is some more information and feel free to ask me. I currently live in Amsterdam and must admit, the last tie I paid €135 was when they literally stripped my bike, had the carbon frame fixed and re-assembled with upgraded parts.

As an example, last week I had a spoke replaced and my wheel trued (for my SA MTB) and it cost me €20.

What I do find strange is that general bicycle maintenance services are of a lower standard, but that leaves space for you to figure it out for yourself (YouTube is great!). Every now and then you do get great service.

There are PLENTY of bicycle shops, just not how we know them in SA. You will find at least one shop on every block in the city of Amsterdam, in the suburbs and smaller towns a lot less. These shops predominantly focus on servicing Dutch oma-fiets/bikes and not Road or MTB bikes, for that, there are fewer proper shops, even in the larger cities.

Yes the Dutchies dont make make conversation and in general thats how they have always been, each to themselves. They dont make friends easily and are fairly clicky (similar to some SA towns too). But once they accept you, then they do a lof of effort with you. They sometimes dont do the effort with expats because they see us as temporary and thats why they dont invite you into their lives. Cant argue, I also hated leaving my good friends when I left and you can imagine having to go through it over and over.

Join a club and you'll make loads of friends and people with the same interests. Just because the Dutch cycle everywhere, doesn't make them all cyclists. In SA most people who commute are also more serious riders.

Jakkals, you left just as they abolished scooters from the cycle lanes in the city. They envisage full roll out of this law by 2020 throughout the Netherlands - THANK GOODNESS!

Here are few things that pissed me off about the Dutch...Cycling related. 

Dutchies in general are k∆k cyclists in-spite of having cycled their whole lives. They don't signal as often as they should and like to cut you off when turning left. A lot of them don't use lights at night which has caused an accident when cycling home one night. 

They allow small scooters on the bike lane which cause problems with youngsters not respecting other bike lane users and racing or riding recklessly. 

Bike shops don't really care about you as a loyal member and can be rude and patronizing when you ask a "stupid" question. I also had my bike boxed up before immigrating to Canada and the job was a little half assed (will invest in a decent bike box). They also don't wash your bike when servicing and charge a lot for doing really simple maintenance.

Other Dutch cyclists (recreation or sport) are pretty friendly and fun to ride with so there is no complaint there other than the lack hills :P

I happy be renting an Airbnb from a cyclist in Hamilton ON, and was immediately invited to ride with their group and giving some recommendations for bike shops in the area. 

Advice given to me about bike shops in NL is buy the tools and do it yourself cause they are not likely to do a good job. If you were wondering a bike shop in NL will charge you €135 per hour. 

When assessing the Dutch, as with everything in life, YMMV. Jakkals observations differ vastly from my own, but I know I view them through very rose tinted glasses and can acknowledge I have a definite society boner for the Netherlands.

The Dutch cycling attire.

I cannot say much about what the Dutch wear while cycling, but rather what they DO NOT wear. That is helmets, cycling shorts, cycling jerseys or generally anything cycling specific. (Except for the sport cyclists).

The Dutch do not get dressed to go cycling, they just get dressed to go out.

The weather when I was there was between 0 and 10 degrees Celsius. We were fortunate in that it did not rain much and when it did the temperature was generally warmer. When we went out I wore walking shoes, jeans, a warm top, a heavy waterproof/windproof coat, a beanie and gloves. The only difference between public transport, walking and cycling, was on the bike I wore thicker gloves and on the train the gloves went into my pocket. Even with the coat, I did not do much sweating on the bike. It was cold and we did not go fast enough for that.

The other cyclists were also just doing their thing. Some of the ladies were even cycling in high heals!

Edited by i24

I’m going to visit my son in Amsterdam later this month, he has started cycling since he’s been living there and we are talking about doing a little trip while I’m there. What would be a pleasant ride doing a day or two out and back? Not hectic distance but interesting route and good beer? He’s on his commuter and will get a borrowed bike for me so it’s not full on bike packing.

I’m going to visit my son in Amsterdam later this month, he has started cycling since he’s been living there and we are talking about doing a little trip while I’m there. What would be a pleasant ride doing a day or two out and back? Not hectic distance but interesting route and good beer? He’s on his commuter and will get a borrowed bike for me so it’s not full on bike packing.

Loop around the ijsselmeer. Lots of little dorpies around it

Loop around the ijsselmeer. Lots of little dorpies around it

Thanks, just looked it up and that seems like a perfect route. 

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...