Should I take my bike to the UK?

Scooterza

Hi all

I am heading to the UK (Leeds/Harrogate/York area).  I have a 2015 Giant Trance Aluminium frame with SLX components.  I've upgraded this with American Classic Wide Lightning rims and Giant Dropper Post but the rest of the bike is stock standard.  Bike is still in good condition with no issues.  

Should I take it with me or sell it here?  We've got a shipping container going over so should have space to send it. 

Appreciate any opinions.  

post-4505-0-65414200-1556621268_thumb.jpg

Edited by Scooterza

If you have the space to send it over then take it with. Even without container I would still take it with as check-in luggage & pay the extra.

take it with -bikes and bike related stuff is more expensive there than you think (just like a lot of other things) :blink:

Take it with you. I brought my giant as luggage on the plane so I wouldn't have to wait for the container. Cycle to work is good, but you normally have to work for a company for 6 or 12 months before you qualify, assuming that your company offers it. Mine doesn't, although my previous UK employer did. Also, prioritising the money to buy a bike for £1000 - £3000 sounds far easier than it is when life is ongoing and you are trying to get settled. You will find some amazing cycling in Yorkshire, so bring it and ride. 

Take it with. Just get a box from a bike shop, pack it in there and put it in the container.

Also depends if you are willing to wait a couple of weeks until your container arrives. If you want to ride as soon as you get there, then sell and buy one there.

Dude... My old 2007 26" morewood is sitting in storage waiting to come over with the rest of our stuff. If you can absolutely!

Take it with you.... Save the money you wold fork out for a new bike on some cold weather riding kit. 

Once you're settled and find something nice then you always have the option of keeping or selling. 

**** loads of places to ride in Yorkshire. Even if you don't want to pack it in the car and and ride  some trials you can find the nearest Canal and ride along the Canal for hours. FYI don't go close to the swans each and everyone swan in that place has a flippen complex.... Oh the queen owns me ... whatever! Sorry I digress but yes plenty options on the cold island. Bike to work scheme is one once you qualify. I'm sure the limit has now been moved up cause at one stage it the limit was £1000. 

FYI York is awesome! lots and lots of bicycle lanes to utilize. 

Last FYI stay away from Special Brew, it's only for the unemployed. 

Hi Guys,

I think he is asking with regard to maybe selling it here and getting a new State-o-the-Art bike over there instead while not having to pay for a new one here with our crap ROE and taxes.

The Q is: Depending on the circumstances with moving over there, can you afford a new bike over there paying in pounds or rather keep it and keep your Rands converted to pounds and rather check out what else might be available.

But after four years with the same bike maybe its time for an upgrade if you can afford it?

Happy travels!

Take it with you.... Save the money you wold fork out for a new bike on some cold weather riding kit. 

Once you're settled and find something nice then you always have the option of keeping or selling. 

**** loads of places to ride in Yorkshire. Even if you don't want to pack it in the car and and ride  some trials you can find the nearest Canal and ride along the Canal for hours. FYI don't go close to the swans each and everyone swan in that place has a flippen complex.... Oh the queen owns me ... whatever! Sorry I digress but yes plenty options on the cold island. Bike to work scheme is one once you qualify. I'm sure the limit has now been moved up cause at one stage it the limit was £1000. [/size]

FYI York is awesome! lots and lots of bicycle lanes to utilize. [/size]

Last FYI stay away from Special Brew, it's only for the unemployed. [/size]

Ditto!

Hi all, thanks a lot for all the input.  Seems pretty unanimous to keep it!  So that's what I'll do!  

Cheers!  :clap:

Hi Guys,

I think he is asking with regard to maybe selling it here and getting a new State-o-the-Art bike over there instead while not having to pay for a new one here with our crap ROE and taxes.

The Q is: Depending on the circumstances with moving over there, can you afford a new bike over there paying in pounds or rather keep it and keep your Rands converted to pounds and rather check out what else might be available.

But after four years with the same bike maybe its time for an upgrade if you can afford it?

Happy travels!

Because a lot of your money gets spent on establishment etc and you don't really have spare cash.. if it is just a case of slipping it into a container or cube then absolutely Edited by Stretch

take it with -bikes and bike related stuff is more expensive there than you think (just like a lot of other things) :blink:

Honestly - I disagree. This hobby became a lot cheaper when I moved.

Honestly - I disagree. This hobby became a lot cheaper when I moved.

That's the thing, take it with.

For EG: He sells the bike in the hope of getting something very schweet when he gets there... That's the dream, reality is he won't get settled for a few months. We all know he'll be spending weekends in Ikea picking out duvet covers and matching curtains at Ikea.... 

Take it with ride it, once he's done his duty at Ikea he can then go and ride to get rid of that meatball smell. 

Once the curtains are hung and the bed in matching colours has been made up he can go bos on Chain reaction! That's when things will be cheaper! 

if you don't want to buy new then ebay will be your best bet, be careful though that damn website is addictive! 

Oh yes. Definitely take the bike with. It wasn't my intent to suggest otherwise.

I was merely putting across, that in my experience, bike paraphernalia outside of RSA is more reasonable.