[Event] STBB4GOOD MTB CHALLENGE

Anna_Afrika

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Guys, Anyone doing the 30km?

Doing it with my wife for the first time. Heard its 800m of climbing. Would love to know about the route regarding single track etc.

Thank you guys

can someone recommend an effective tick and flea collar for this event? :)

:clap:  good point, I have picked up a few ticks up there, but the past few weeks the trail blazer have been hard at working cleaning up the trails and cutting the grass. 

Registration and number collections possible at the start as per email received.

Can we register at the event ?

Thanks Rouxenator. I take it you've done the 60? Anything specific we need to worry about?

How accurate is the total ascent?

I've done a 50km race at Bottelary and it was great (long ago though)

Please do not trust the long route map they have. It has been wrong since the very start and every year I supply them with the correct one only to be ignored. 

Here is the correct long route and profile for it.

attachicon.gifstbb-long-route.gif

Yes I have done it a few times, and I also have a year permit for Bottelary. It's nothing too serious seeing as you already did a 50km. 

Hopefully they have that lovely floating bridge at the end.

Thanks Rouxenator

Yes, they're finishing the bridge as we speak. I saw it on their FB page

Yes I have done it a few times, and I also have a year permit for Bottelary. It's nothing too serious seeing as you already did a 50km. 

Hopefully they have that lovely floating bridge at the end.

Agree, very difficult for me to fault the organisers on this one, the clear message in driving the charity side of it, the amazing breakfast buffet, the energy at the start, amazing trails, good signage with marshalls, water points properly stocked (including a foot pump for some extra help), easy parking, lots of prices. And to top it off the floating bridge..

Really feels a shame that they starting to struggle to fill the event up like prior years but really do hope they do continue as this would be the one in the cape that I will be most sad of it had to dissappear.

Was a bit unfit to take on the 60 after recent bout with flu and chest infection so was harder than I remember it being - especially that single track climb after the first descent -- lovely trails and great scenery that I will hopefully not be bleeding out my eyeballs as much as I did yesterday to enjoy next time around.

Water bridge is a nice way to finish.

Did the 12km with my son, special event as the others mentioned. If I can give some constructive critisism, I felt the 12km route was too difficult for the average participant (mostly kids & pensioners & generally unfit peeps), route included a pretty nasty and long hike-a-bike climb followed by a gnarly downhill. The route marshalls were super friendly though and the waterpoint well stocked. Some hairy moments near the finish line when the routes merged and we had to dodge the race leaders of the long route flying bye but luckily no serious incident.

Route profile was deceptive and those first climbs being basically wide enough for one was rough! But a nice route, nice trails, and exciting riding... Don't really care much for pre and post event stuff, but it looked fun. Was a nice day out and I'll be doing it again!

Saw a couple of e-bikes. Did they have their own category ?

Doesn't seem like it.

And ill be honest. Before this race I did think E bikes should be welcomed and had no issue... Until I got bothered by one. Smaller lady, on a grey Scott E bike. Overtook me on the climbs, but had zero confidence or skills in the single track sections. So I would get overtaken, then stuck behind. Eventually find a gap and overtake, just to be overtaken again and have to sit on the brakes...

My opinion now is, if you're riding an E bike for medical or physical limitation reasons, you should start at the back of the group, and no passing of normal bikes allowed. If someone is ultra slow because they're also physically limited, then you should stay at the speed, unless it's wide roads or keep track. I don't feel like those with E bikes should be able to gain a super unfair advantage over those using a proper bicycle, and then making them suffer. It was so ridiculously annoying and something has to be figured out.