[Event] STBB4GOOD MTB CHALLENGE

Anna_Afrika

I'm as relaxed as you can get when it comes to races, esp since I classify myself as a trail runner. But at least I can climb a bit. Maybe not world-beating, but I keep up with most. And to then have this exact scenario is a bit hard to swallow, as I did in Stb MTB. Guy on e-bike comes breezing past me on a steepish climb, I catch up afterwards, only for him to stop right in the middle of the track at the first switchback... 

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Had the same yo-yo'ing experience with a E-bike rider in my group, pass, get passed, get stuck behind, pass, get passed............ you get the picture. Maybe something for the organizers to look at for next year.

Doesn't seem like it.

And ill be honest. Before this race I did think E bikes should be welcomed and had no issue... Until I got bothered by one. Smaller lady, on a grey Scott E bike. Overtook me on the climbs, but had zero confidence or skills in the single track sections. So I would get overtaken, then stuck behind. Eventually find a gap and overtake, just to be overtaken again and have to sit on the brakes...

My opinion now is, if you're riding an E bike for medical or physical limitation reasons, you should start at the back of the group, and no passing of normal bikes allowed. If someone is ultra slow because they're also physically limited, then you should stay at the speed, unless it's wide roads or keep track. I don't feel like those with E bikes should be able to gain a super unfair advantage over those using a proper bicycle, and then making them suffer. It was so ridiculously annoying and something has to be figured out.

I had the same lady pass me on the last climb before Asara, she was very slow on the descent and I got whacked by those olive trees trying to pass her. 

They should start - and preferably stay - at the back. Then again had I upped the pace in the first part of the race I would have had less 30/45 traffic to deal with. 

Did the 12km with my son, special event as the others mentioned. If I can give some constructive critisism, I felt the 12km route was too difficult for the average participant (mostly kids & pensioners & generally unfit peeps), route included a pretty nasty and long hike-a-bike climb followed by a gnarly downhill. The route marshalls were super friendly though and the waterpoint well stocked. Some hairy moments near the finish line when the routes merged and we had to dodge the race leaders of the long route flying bye but luckily no serious incident.

Also dropped down to ride the 12km with a friend - but that is seriously not a kid / beginner friendly route...to the point that it is downright dangerous, specifically on the downhill bits.  Saw quite a few kids wipeout on the downhill, and others had to walk down, as there were no clean lines to ride.    There was also no marshall where the longer routes merged at the last downhill coming back into Overgaauw - an accident waiting to happen. 

If the 12km route was extended by another 8km, it could make a nice 20km route for riders with some experience, while a 10km flatter route could cater well for families. 

I'll be back next year though (hopefully for a longer ride again!). 

Did the 12km with my son, special event as the others mentioned. If I can give some constructive critisism, I felt the 12km route was too difficult for the average participant (mostly kids & pensioners & generally unfit peeps), route included a pretty nasty and long hike-a-bike climb followed by a gnarly downhill. The route marshalls were super friendly though and the waterpoint well stocked. Some hairy moments near the finish line when the routes merged and we had to dodge the race leaders of the long route flying bye but luckily no serious incident.

very chuffed with myself for managing to ride the entire hike-a-bike-hill, though!

I think maybe Ebikes need to start first say like 1hr before the rest of us, so if we start normally at 7H30 they must start 6H30. so if you cant pedal a bike then at least wake up earlier than the rest of us. :ph34r: :whistling:

Nah, I don't think you realise how slow some of these guys are and how quick they would be caught by the racy Bois...

I really think they should start at back and not be allowed to pass a bicyclist. Again, if someone is unfit/fat/old/disabled, but riding without assistance, then anyone with assisnce shouldn't be entitled to blast past. Sit behind. If you get bored, maybe lose the motor and try it without, might be a lot more fun.

And go for a skills course FFS

Ok make it 2hr they need to sacrifice something  :devil:  

Nah, I don't think you realise how slow some of these guys are and how quick they would be caught by the racy Bois...

I really think they should start at back and not be allowed to pass a bicyclist. Again, if someone is unfit/fat/old/disabled, but riding without assistance, then anyone with assisnce shouldn't be entitled to blast past. Sit behind. If you get bored, maybe lose the motor and try it without, might be a lot more fun.

And go for a skills course FFS

• 3 years later...

Resurrecting an old thread for 2023.

What do you think, considering the recent Apocalypse.
This event will probably be postponed/cancelled.

Cheers
Carl

Bottelary Hills normally holds up pretty well to storm damage so I think there's a good chance it will go ahead.

I rode their Fish Eagle trail on Sunday morning just before the storm hit and it had just been cleaned up beautifully by the trail crew and was riding soooo good.

2 hours ago, carlheinz said:

Resurrecting an old thread for 2023.

What do you think, considering the recent Apocalypse.
This event will probably be postponed/cancelled.

Cheers
Carl

image.png.b7f65e0bb6a51962deb60ff3efcf38b3.png

2 hours ago, BuffsVintageBikes said:

Bottelary Hills normally holds up pretty well to storm damage so I think there's a good chance it will go ahead.

I rode their Fish Eagle trail on Sunday morning just before the storm hit and it had just been cleaned up beautifully by the trail crew and was riding soooo good.

Perfect thanks.
Here in Hermanus we washed away...