[Event] EWC 3 Jonkershoek Enduro

Enduro Western Cape

Anybody keen to ride jonkers on Wednesday ... in stellies for the day

Sorry, No can Do. Will probably be able to ride it on Sunday morning, If anyone is keen. 

Want to Recon Plumber and Bennets Red.

Problem is, that the other trails will feel so tame after Plumber :)

Edited by Bos

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They didnt go from the very top to the very bottom on every stage last year If I'm correct.. Its our only hope :) Looking at my last ride in Jonkers the Saaltjie took an hour after we did Firehut. Anyway, Probably closer to 4 hours yes. If anything this just motivates me to get out there and go ride those awesome trails. 

A shuttleday sure would help things along ;)

The only trail we did not do top to bottom was plumber, we only did the top and middle section.  All the other trails was top to bottom runs. 

The top of plumber for me is not the difficult part. Yes, it is steep but not to technical except the last bit with the rock garden.  The middle part is where you need to concentrate. If you do not keep you momentum over all those baby heads your front wheel might get stuck.

I marshalled at the end of stage 2, plumber, and after that I was the sweeper for the rest of the field. That last climb to Iron monkey broke a few people and I had to start threating people with DNF's if they for them to get back on their bikes and up the hill.  We were already way past the cut-off times.

My total climbing time for that day was 3:50, almost an hour for every climb.  If we are going to do 5 climbs I would stop worrying about plumber and start with fitness.  I think the hills are going to kill more people than plumber will. Don't not do plumber, do plumber but worry about fitness.

+1 for shuttle day in Jonkers!!!

Edit: Armageddon was not a top to bottom run, we did not go all the way up to saaltjie.

Edited by CJ Van

The only trail we did not do top to bottom was plumber, we only did the top and middle section.  All the other trails was top to bottom runs. 

The top of plumber for me is not the difficult part. Yes, it is steep but not to technical except the last bit with the rock garden.  The middle part is where you need to concentrate. If you do not keep you momentum over all those baby heads your front wheel might get stuck.

I marshalled at the end of stage 2, plumber, and after that I was the sweeper for the rest of the field. That last climb to Iron monkey broke a few people and I had to start threating people with DNF's if they for them to get back on their bikes and up the hill.  We were already way past the cut-off times.

My total climbing time for that day was 3:50, almost an hour for every climb.  If we are going to do 5 climbs I would stop worrying about plumber and start with fitness.  I think the hills are going to kill more people than plumber will. Don't not do plumber, do plumber but worry about fitness.

+1 for shuttle day in Jonkers!!!

Edit: Armageddon was not a top to bottom run, we did not go all the way up to saaltjie.

How does one organize this..? Perhaps I can twist some trailbuilders arm to "forget some spades" at the top of Plumber, Armageddon, Red P and Iron M and hide in the back of the bakkie ;)

So rode @ jonkers,today ... Amagedon, Iron Monkey and Status quo ( yo...steep and tech on your own )

3 times up to saaltjie is a proper bit of work.

Trails are riding sweeet and in good nic.

Thanks jonkers trail team.

So rode @ jonkers,today ... Amagedon, Iron Monkey and Status quo ( yo...steep and tech on your own )

3 times up to saaltjie is a proper bit of work.

Trails are riding sweeet and in good nic.

Thanks jonkers trail team.

what was the elevation? like 1300ish?

Sorry im sort of anti tech ... no strava or gps / measuring .

But think you could be close ... sighn at entrance said saaltjie 500m

Also don't know who to report to ,but guy at gate wouldn't give me a permit claiming computers down ???

Previously I got a wrtten permit from a book.

I paid him 50 cash ...think he might be pocketing the cash .... It should be going into the trails.

Also don't know who to report to ,but guy at gate wouldn't give me a permit claiming computers down ???

Previously I got a wrtten permit from a book.

I paid him 50 cash ...think he might be pocketing the cash .... It should be going into the trails.

I would be very pissed If I drove to jonkershoek to find the PC offline. They better have a backup system then. 

The trails are only in epic condition at the moment!

The top split on the plumber is getting some nasty little braking ruts that are hard to avoid. They square the berm off when ridden in the rut. The solution would be to get the front wheel wide of the rut and let the rear follow the rut but it's easier said than done, since its pretty steep! 

Red Phoenix is all time at the moment. Planning on taking off early to go hit it while it lasts later this week. 

The trail builders are actively busy there, Red Phoenix was done not too long ago and firehut just done as well.

I'm sure they do some work on the black soon

Also Entered, and I'm more than happy with "only"4 stages

Route from Entryninja:

The Route
Liaison 1: a nice little warm up... +350m
Stage 1: Red Phoenix/Bennet's Red, top to bottom: 2.58km, -318m
Liaison 2: This is where you start hating us a little! +318m climb.
Stage 2. The Plumber: definitely to top two sections, including all large features. maybe also the lower section if there are reasonable riding lines around the jumps. We have yet to check out it's condition. 1.17km, -246m
Liaison 3: This is where you start hating us a little more! +311m climbing
Stage 3. Armageddon/Canaries: top-to bottom including re-vamped upper section and Zululand lower. It's easier, but it's longer... hello arm pump! 4km, -453m
There will be a Cadence Nutrition water point at the bottom of Canaries, for you to wash away your tears.
Liaison 4: There is no hate. There is only being one with the bike. And a donderse climb. +436m
Stage 4. Iron Monkey: top to bottom. -479m