SLX 1x11 or 2x11

Ruru

Hi all

I currently run 1x11 11-42 with 32t chainring on a 2018 anthem 29er.

I find myself battling on long steep climbs that I could previously manage on a 27.5 with 36/24 FSA 2x10 with 11-36 cassette.

My question is - would it be better to change to 11-46 cassette and keep the 1x or change to 2x11 and keep the 11-42 cassette?

32/46 gives close to the same ratio as 24/36 but then there is the extra theoretical effort of having 29er wheels compared to the 27.5 perviously. Maybe I should ignore the little extra effort with the bigger wheels.

2x would give me more options, but its also more expensive and more of a hassle (need 2x rings, fd and shifter) compared to just a cassette and a few links.

My concern with 2x is the extra moving parts vs not much change between 42 and 46 for 1x.

Goind 1x12 isnt an option cost wise.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2x11 11/42 Cassette.

I am riding a 2019 Anthem that has 1x12 on and have just bought a full new SLX 2x11 groupset.

Night and day for me in terms of ratio options.

I tried 1x10 about 2 years ago and hated it, even with 1x12 I just cant get used to it...

For me the extra moving part is nothing to worry about. Rather ride what you happy with.

I'd get the 46T cassette.  I did get the 46T cassette... 

If you're just not quite getting the gearing on the steepest hills, then this will solve your issue. 

2x11 11/42 Cassette.

I am riding a 2019 Anthem that has 1x12 on and have just bought a full new SLX 2x11 groupset.

Night and day for me in terms of ratio options.

I tried 1x10 about 2 years ago and hated it, even with 1x12 I just cant get used to it...

For me the extra moving part is nothing to worry about. Rather ride what you happy with.

Did you sell the 1x12  :whistling:

My Anthem has the XT 2x10 but on e.g. Sani it was a mission to got to the small ring on a technical climb... I need a 170 - 172.5 crank though...

Would be nice to have the 1x12 so at least my wife and I can just swap parts if and when necessary :)

I have the same bike. Mine came standard with a 46T cassette, and it helps a lot.

Even so, I still got me a backup 30T for the front which I put on before something like Attakwas. 30/46 will get you up most hills. If not, nothing probably will.

Did you sell the 1x12  :whistling:

My Anthem has the XT 2x10 but on e.g. Sani it was a mission to got to the small ring on a technical climb... I need a 170 - 172.5 crank though...

Would be nice to have the 1x12 so at least my wife and I can just swap parts if and when necessary :)

It will be for sale next week. 1x12 NX with boost crank 175 with a 30 Tooth sprocket

I'm going through a similar exercise. Leaning strongly towards the 2x11 option (with 11-42) at the back. I think I'm going to go with a Lyne front crank that is 38/24T which gives even more range than the standard Shimano 36/26T cranks. I've never had a 1x so can't comment on the benefits, but I've never had issues with a FD and its shifter - generally set and forget. 

Check out http://gears.mtbcrosscountry.com I think it also takes wheel size into account.

My answer was to just get a Sunrace 11 - 46 (on special from CWC for a song) and a 28T front ring. Never hacked for gears and could get up anything. 

Shimano has changed their cranks to 10t jump ie 24/34 or 26/36 to make the shift smoother. I am no race snake and on 1x11 Sram 30f42r I won't go back to 2x.

Thanks all. Wont the 28 or 30t chainring will be very slow on flat sections? I’m all ready spinning out on a gravel stretch.

My answer was to just get a Sunrace 11 - 46 (on special from CWC for a song) and a 28T front ring. Never hacked for gears and could get up anything. 

But don't you fall off when in the 28x46 or can you track-stand for hours ?

Thanks all. Wont the 28 or 30t chainring will be very slow on flat sections? I’m all ready spinning out on a gravel stretch.

Then may be go the 11 - 50 sunrace cassette and keep the ratio you have on the front already. I must say okes have got to be powering on as I never looked like running out of push on 28 or 30T at 35+kmh

My 2c....get the 11/46T cassette and give it a go. You wont be sorry.

I am running 1x10 with Sunrace 11/46T cassette and 30T in front...and very happy.

Started out with a 32T in front, but switched to a 30T purely because the legs are not strong enough yet for some of the climbing at times...and I am nursing a knee injury.

Hoping to go back to 32T in couple of months.

I used to have 2x10 with 11/42T cassette and RaceFace 22-36 in front.

Yes, the 22 front with 42 back was serious granny...but you spun like mad to keep momentum going and to keep the front down.

The other problem I had with the 2x is I had to shift too much to get the right gear.....especially if the terrain switches alot from flat/down to sudden steep climbs.

Now with the 1x I only shift with right hand....and left hand on dropper post duty  ;-)

PS. I am also on 29er....XXL (23") Rockhopper hardtail...