[Event] 2019 PPA One Tonner

Pedal Power Association

Joh, lots of talk about seeding and serious roadie type stuff I see here. Sjoekalalie. 

Anyone here just doing it for fun? You know, cause as I've been saying for years, what is the PPA One Tonner other than just an extended fun ride? We get to see a new route with new scenery and whatnot. 

Fun. 

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

exactly...seeding does not reward your sprinting skills but your bunch wheelsucking ability.

it's not a perfect system. there is no way to please everyone.

but it does work well enough.

i like the way they have introduced penalties for races older than 6 months.. savages once a year plan has it's drawbacks now.

Not if your beta is 0. 0 + 9 still puts you in A. [emoji16]

Joh, lots of talk about seeding and serious roadie type stuff I see here. Sjoekalalie. 

Anyone here just doing it for fun? You know, cause as I've been saying for years, what is the PPA One Tonner other than just an extended fun ride? We get to see a new route with new scenery and whatnot. 

Fun. 

The point of seeding is so that you can 'funride' with other people of similar or greater strengths than you, and be pushed outside of what's comfortable for you. It's often not actually fun at all at the time, but there's a feeling of reward after the suffering. You can ride Bainskloof pass etc. any other other time for fun, don't need to enter an event for that.

Fun. 

Definitely going to be a fun ride for me  :D. Starting in J with our DC team - looking forward to Bains Kloof *full road closure* (thank you PPA), taking pics ... stopping at the snack tables I never get to.

Weather looks good for a long day in the saddle, happy to be out riding my bike with the team *fun ride*   :clap:

The point of seeding is so that you can 'funride' with other people of similar or greater strengths than you, and be pushed outside of what's comfortable for you. It's often not actually fun at all at the time, but there's a feeling of reward after the suffering. You can ride Bainskloof pass etc. any other other time for fun, don't need to enter an event for that.

Point for me is to get good enough seeding to get sub3 at argus .. no other reason really

I hardly race any funrides (I normally go balls to the wall and blow 3/4 in) .. but one tonner is one change to easy get better seeding, so will be wheel sucking where ever I can and you won't see me at front of bunch unless its really going slow and I can TT faster.

Point for me is to get good enough seeding to get sub3 at argus .. no other reason really

I hardly race any funrides (I normally go balls to the wall and blow 3/4 in) .. but one tonner is one change to easy get better seeding, so will be wheel sucking where ever I can and you won't see me at front of bunch unless its really going slow and I can TT faster.

... famous last words until the Adrenalin kicks in ;). Might be a better bet to do the 110 for seeding.

See you on Sunday, good luck!

Just washed the bike and had to take off the race number from the last funride I did on it - literally the last time I rode the bike half a year ago. 

Coincidentally I got that seeding from last year's One Tonner. We have come full circle it seems.

post-38519-0-95873700-1570288826_thumb.jpg

Hope that those on the longer routes had an amazing day of racing, me and the wife did the shorter route (50km). It all started not that bad, friendly marshalls at the start, quick registration and really enjoyed the bunch of younger ones on their pedalpower bikes, it felt like there was some real energy in the air.. and then we started..

Going through Wellington most of the front guys missed the left turn after the robot as there was no marshall at the corner with just a single arrow showing the way.

But that was not the last challenge.. we get outside of wellington and at the 4 way stop the marshalls / traffic officers wave us to go straight. 100m we stop because we fairly sure it is not correct as at the start they did mention that there is a waterpoint at the perdeberg... having a quick look at the map on my phone it does show that we need to go round paarl mountain.. but we made the decision to rather take the right turn..qe tried to check in with the marshalls on the bicycles, but they are none the wiser about the route . The motor bike marshall is a bit more confident so we continue just to be met with a BUNCH of 50km coming from the front seems they all felt that they are on the wrong route.

It was only at the first waterpoint that we finally got the proof that we are in fact on the correct route (which differ from the one on the website).

The rest of the ride went smooth and got to see the race leaders on the 160km shoot past us just before windmeul.

Generally it is sad to have seen such issues (but being a new venue and location I hope there is a number of learnings that do get incorporated in future events - of course after they convinced a number of riders that might not want to participate again after the mess up that happened.

Lessons for me

- much more visible signage surrounding short route vs medium vs long route

- marshalls at key turning points

- race briefing for the marshalls on bicycles on the route (and if there were any changes.. come on you there to provide support too)

- ensure that maps are updated or at least inform everyone that the route was changed from the one on the website.

- verify the route length, this time it was a 2km difference.

This is not a bashing but hoping that there will be proper introspection as I WANT the PPA to succeed and that the numbers at the races will continue to grow

That was fun, PPA have a lekker route there. 

Will do a full write up but now we have a date with Steers, Steri Stumpie and coffee

It was fun until you guys caught us... After that it was just suffering  :P

Thanks for the bus Savage, hopefully you guys pulled me to a decent Argus seeding  :thumbup:

Oh and I agree with Breezer, new route is awesome, Bainskloof is a challenge up & down (it appears nobody killed themselves as the hub predicted so its all good?) Weather was perfect, best that I can recall since at least 2013.

It was fun until you guys caught us... After that it was just suffering :P

Thanks for the bus Savage, hopefully you guys pulled me to a decent Argus seeding :thumbup:

Oh and I agree with Breezer, new route is awesome, Bainskloof is a challenge up & down (it appears nobody killed themselves as the hub predicted so its all good?) Weather was perfect, best that I can recall since at least 2013.

There was one old ballie that kept diving down the inside of me on Bains, but besides that, Lekker down Bains!