MTB sizing advice/debate

Bru1991

Chris, I have paid for professional bike fits but I have never had anybody take my medical history, check my flexibility, et cetera first. So now I am wondering whether I have had the best bike fits I could have had. And unfortunately, I am not in the Western Cape but in Gauteng.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is always the problem with "bike fitting". There are "plumbline and youtube" fitters, laser guided high speed motion capturing 3D pedal analysing software algorithm fitters and everything in between.

To use the term bikefitting to cover the full spectrum then make judgement calls on the bikefitting industry as a whole is a little silly.

1.78 and 80kg. Ridden a medium of 2 different bike brands. Both needed relatively extensive fitting for me to be comfortable.

Only on a Trek Superfly in a medium was I comfortable.

When I recently replaced my Cannondale, I tested a number of bikes in medium and large. The difference in comfort between medium and large was indescribable.

Now on a large BMC, the only adjustments necessary was saddle height and saddle fore/aft. Never been more comfortable off the bat. Short lesson, test the bikes, ignore salesmen.

An interesting take on bike fitting:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E3Qb97HHj1Q

Not all has the cash flow of Jeff Cayley, but speaks to what a couple of Hubbers has eluded to. There is more to fitting than just stems and bars.

Well damn. That is taking custom, fit for purpose and personal preferences to a whole new level!

Stack and reach baby stack and reach ????????????

I am 1,79m and have also straddled that medium /large divide but ridden mediums mostly until about 3 years ago.

Purchased a large frame, went to a short stem (60mm) and wider bars. Actual strava segment times improves as i was also always way over the front of the bike.

This has been discussed many times but its made a huge difference to my riding as i sit in the bike rather than on it.

You do look way too far over the front of the bike and i would look to change to a large frame.

BTW - not all frames are the same. Things like Lynskeys are very small, so always check the websites.

Edited by Paul Ruinaard

I'm always amused that 'bike fitting' discussions end up with get 'professional' setup advice ... IMHO not really rocket science to get a base setup but I guess there's money to be made [emoji57]

I agree.

I was in a bike shop once and an acquaintance came into the shop. He bought his wife a pro bike set up as a birthday gift. The voucher was for a grand or so. 

I'm always amused that 'bike fitting' discussions end up with get 'professional' setup advice ... IMHO not really rocket science to get a base setup but I guess there's money to be made [emoji57]

Bike fitting is both an art and a science. 

My fitting is so advanced, that no client of mine ever leaves my studio without a new crank, stem, seat, seat post, pedals and bar tape. 

If anyone is interested, you can find me at www.marginalgainz.com

I agree.

I was in a bike shop once and an acquaintance came into the shop. He bought his wife a pro bike set up as a birthday gift. The voucher was for a grand or so. 

I would say a bike fit by Arran Brown or Richard Baxter at that price is money well worth spending, although they do it for less.