Epic Evo Comp vs Momsen Vipa Trail vs Spez Camber

Schoemies

Hi All

About to start looking for a dual suspension bike, however due finances I am considering secondhand options.

Can you please give me some advice considering the below info regarding my intended riding.

I am not a youngster anymore so furious downhills is way to scary, but I do love to do them at my own "fast" pace if there is downhill on my way.  I am not looking for the most gnarly(learned this word from this forum) routes, but hope to do 40- 60 km events on the odd weekend.  I am also not the worlds strongest cyclist so I am trying to hopefully get some better components(shocks) with a second hand bike(3-4 years old).

What I have learned so far is that newer alu bikes is almost as light as older carbon bikes.

Spez bikes have additional servicing regarding the brain which can only be done by them.  Not sure if the brain(as good as some say it is) is really going to be of much benefit to me as I will only be racing against myself.

What i think is that the 3 trail orientated bikes as mentioned will most likely suite me as they are not too heavy, and should be more comfortable than XC bikes.  Their shock travel of about 120 mm will be more than enough for the intermediate trails I am planning.

I haven't riden any of these bikes and don't know anybody who owns one.  So basically impractical to ride them all and take the one you like the most.

Budget R35 000

With my limited knowledge I tend to think:

1. Spez Camber(carbon) will have proper shocks etc and will be light enough and should work. Also no brain( still not sure if I will benefit from one)

2. Momsen trail(carbon) will also work, but very few available on second hand market.

3. Spez Epic Evo Comp(alu) is a newer alu bike with 1 x 12 NX group sets and does have brain 2.  I am sure this bike will also be good, although it does come with the servicing issues but possibly have not the same quality of shocks and components but still good enough for me?

I assume these bikes are probably all very close, however your input will be appreciated as I might have overlooked a obvious deal breaker point  due to do my limited knowledge.

Thanks all.

Camber

I have ridden both the Camber and the epic.

The Epic is a racing machine where the Camber plays better.

Can't comment on the Momsen though.

Edited by Eugéne Alberts

Three riding buddies had new Momsen frames that broke. Momsen had all sorts of lame excuses not to honour the warranty. Warranties wont matter for most 2nd hand bikes, though.

Of these, +1 vote for the Camber.

Add a Scott Spark to that list. 2017 and newer models. There are usually several available second hand in carbon and alloy.

Schoemies

I bought a Vipa trail one three months ago. I can't be happier.

You can get a brand new vipa within that price range. I spent a bit more (39k) to upgrade the groupset.

I'm pretty sure all these bikes are amazing though. I can only comment from my experience.

Hope you find something that works for you.

Hi Guys

Thanks for the comments.  The Epic I am referring to is the Epic Comp Evo not the True Epic XC bike. 

https://www.specialized.com/za/en_GB/epic-comp-evo/p/155039?color=239613-155039

The Evo has the Epic Alu frame,  but a slacker head angle(although only a few degrees due to longer fork and fiddling with aft suspension) and 120mm front suspension, apparently making it a more fun trail oriented bike. 

The Scott Spark will also work I think(2017 model upwords) but the for sale items I have seen in my price bracket have really bottom of the range suspension shocks.  My cycling mates told me that the suspension shocks are the most important item on a dual susp bike, and that make sense to me.  The bikes with Fox 32 or 36 and Float etx or Rock Shock Revelation in my price bracket seems to be only the slightly older models of possibly the Camber.

I am a bit concerned about the frame of second hand bikes, however at 70kg and a not too aggressive riding style I am hoping that if the frame hasn't snapped yet, it will not happen on my watch(fingers crossed)

At this stage(for Large frame size) I have seen very few Momsen Trails for sale(actually none) and also very few newer models Scott.

There has been a few earlier models Cambers Comp (2015/16) for sale and there is also Epic Comp Evo for sale in this price bracket.   The Epic Evo is fairly new but as mentioned it does have slightly lower spec items(I say this with reservation as I am no expert and maybe bottom of range spec now is better than top of range 4 years back?), does have Brain 2(which I still don't know if I will really benefit from this tech as I am only competing against myself), and does have dropper post.

Thanks again for the assistance.

Definitely also consider the Giant Trance 29. Also xc/trail orientated bike with 120mm travel. It is available in carbon or alloy.

Definitely also consider the Giant Trance 29. Also xc/trail orientated bike with 120mm travel. It is available in carbon or alloy.

Yeah +1 for this. You need include spark and trance29

Hi Schoemie. Welcome to Bikehub.

I ride the alu Camber Comp 120 with Rockshox Revo and Fox float. I upgraded to 1x12 NX groupo, and this bike handles like a dream. I am pushing 120kg at 43 y.o. and still bomb downhill at every chance. Agreed, not like Minnaar, but I can hold my own. I will atrribute my skills mostly to that impeccable machine.

In short, no real need to shop beyond the Camber. It does what you want it to, and it does it well.

Merida 120 800 for 32k brand new with 12 speed GX Eagle. Bit heavy at 14.5kg but if you want you can put other tyres on and drop 400grams there alone.

Camber

I have ridden both the Camber and the epic.

The Epic is a racing machine where the Camber plays better.

Can't comment on the Momsen though.

Camber and Epic Evo have almost exactly the same geometry.

Three riding buddies had new Momsen frames that broke. Momsen had all sorts of lame excuses not to honour the warranty. Warranties wont matter for most 2nd hand bikes, though.

Of these, +1 vote for the Camber.

That's really bad news...

Hi All

About to start looking for a dual suspension bike, however due finances I am considering secondhand options.

Can you please give me some advice considering the below info regarding my intended riding.

I am not a youngster anymore so furious downhills is way to scary, but I do love to do them at my own "fast" pace if there is downhill on my way.  I am not looking for the most gnarly(learned this word from this forum) routes, but hope to do 40- 60 km events on the odd weekend.  I am also not the worlds strongest cyclist so I am trying to hopefully get some better components(shocks) with a second hand bike(3-4 years old).

What I have learned so far is that newer alu bikes is almost as light as older carbon bikes.

Spez bikes have additional servicing regarding the brain which can only be done by them.  Not sure if the brain(as good as some say it is) is really going to be of much benefit to me as I will only be racing against myself.

What i think is that the 3 trail orientated bikes as mentioned will most likely suite me as they are not too heavy, and should be more comfortable than XC bikes.  Their shock travel of about 120 mm will be more than enough for the intermediate trails I am planning.

I haven't riden any of these bikes and don't know anybody who owns one.  So basically impractical to ride them all and take the one you like the most.

Budget R35 000

With my limited knowledge I tend to think:

1. Spez Camber(carbon) will have proper shocks etc and will be light enough and should work. Also no brain( still not sure if I will benefit from one)

2. Momsen trail(carbon) will also work, but very few available on second hand market.

3. Spez Epic Evo Comp(alu) is a newer alu bike with 1 x 12 NX group sets and does have brain 2.  I am sure this bike will also be good, although it does come with the servicing issues but possibly have not the same quality of shocks and components but still good enough for me?

I assume these bikes are probably all very close, however your input will be appreciated as I might have overlooked a obvious deal breaker point  due to do my limited knowledge.

Thanks all.

Not sure where you live but there's an almost new Camber (L), upgraded to 12-speed, at Lynnwood Cycles in Pta-East for ZAR21k (IIRC) on sale/special.  Great deal.