Advice/Help for a dual

tomsegon

Hey All,

It is time that I move from my hard tail onto something a bit more comfy.

A little bit about my riding - I live right in the heart of the garden route so we have trails a plenty - single track, long mountain roads, jeep tracks etc etc .

I am never going to win any major event, but enjoy the jol. Not looking to do massive jumps, but will have some fun naturally.

I have seen a few good options for around R45k and must say I like the spez - only thing that concerns me is the brain - although I believe that for the first 5yrs they will maintain the brain free of charge, so this makes it quite attractive.

Momsen I hear can be an issue for the warranty

Trek Fuel 8 seems cool

Scott - they are also great (I had a hardtail and loved it)

Any other ideas - advice - please - this bike must last me a while

Thanks All

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That Scott twin lock and all its crap is enough to disqualify it from the get go

Trek is A good option imo

Momsen is so overrated its sad

Specialized Stumpjumper short travel is what you're looking for I thi k, daily racey geo but has 120mm front and rear travel if you want to go explore some more proper trails

... Scott spark 940 would be top of the Scott list if you're dead set on the brand

That Scott twin lock and all its crap is enough to disqualify it from the get go

... Scott spark 940 would be top of the Scott list if you're dead set on the brand

Go for the Spark, amazing bike. The twinloc is also very nice and convenient. Edited by Zorro5614

Build build build build build. The Trek (and I'm a Trek rider) will feel sluggish and slow going up climbs with the slack head-set and 120mm travel. If you normally ride an avg of 18 or so the Trek will make you slower by at least 2km/h. 

Anything with a head set angle greater than 71 deg will feel like a "slap noodle" when riding jeep track / district roads. 

Get yourself a frame that you like and build the bike around the frame. It will be way cheaper than R45k and you'll get everything you wanted. 

But if I had to go for a bike off the shelf I will not go for the Fuel EX range but rather the Top Fuel  :thumbup:

Momsen had or does have issues replacing broken kit - that I've heard of before

Specialized is very expensive to buy as well as to maintain 

Trek - as mentioned the fuel EX will feel like a slap noodle as its trail orientated - Top Fuel is better for what you want to do

Pyga - same as Trek if you go with the trail options

Norco - Good option

Rocky Mountain - love this brand

Giant - Very good value for money - perfect all rounder

Scott - This is a fast bike and also good

GT - Not a big fan of their dual sus, it's ugly  :rolleyes:. But their HT's are very aggressive 

Axis - Crap

Titan - Not a fan

Silverback - Not a fan

Merida - Not a fan

Conclusion: build the bike you want that your budget allows, don't be dictated by bike shops and or supplier specs but if I had to choose it will be:

• Trek Top Fuel
  • Rocky Mountain 
  • Giant 
  • The rest

• 5 weeks later...

If I can hijack this discussion... I’m in a similar position looking to upgrade from a hard tail. I’m looking at a second hand Trek Top Fuel 8 v the new redesigned model which sounds like it’s addressed some of the old model’s shortcomings (but at a bit more than twice the price for my choice). Worth it??

Giant Trance 29 2. Great bike with good spec. Have a look at one if you get a chance. Scott Spark also a great bike well worth a look, as is the Merida 120. Plenty of good bikes in the 120mm 29er class. You cannot really go wrong!

This. 

Build build build build build. The Trek (and I'm a Trek rider) will feel sluggish and slow going up climbs with the slack head-set and 120mm travel. If you normally ride an avg of 18 or so the Trek will make you slower by at least 2km/h. 

Anything with a head set angle greater than 71 deg will feel like a "slap noodle" when riding jeep track / district roads. 

Get yourself a frame that you like and build the bike around the frame. It will be way cheaper than R45k and you'll get everything you wanted. 

But if I had to go for a bike off the shelf I will not go for the Fuel EX range but rather the Top Fuel  :thumbup:

Trek - as mentioned the fuel EX will feel like a slap noodle as its trail orientated - Top Fuel is better for what you want to do

Norco - Good option

GT - Not a big fan of their dual sus, it's ugly  :rolleyes:. But their HT's are very aggressive 

Axis - Crap

Titan - Not a fan

Silverback - Not a fan

Merida - Not a fan

Conclusion: build the bike you want that your budget allows, don't be dictated by bike shops and or supplier specs but if I had to choose it will be:

• Trek Top Fuel
  • Rocky Mountain 
  • Giant 
  • The rest

You're recommending XC race bikes for someone who lives in the Garden Route, doesn't race for position and wants to have fun on the bike while improving their skills?

All those things point towards a trail bike. Not an XC race machine. 

Norco - Good option

Axis - Crap

Titan - Not a fan

Silverback - Not a fan

Merida - Not a fan

• Trek Top Fuel
  • Rocky Mountain 
  • Giant 
  • The rest

Don't completely agree with your statement about Specialized being expensive to buy when you've also mentioned in the same post the likes of Rocky Mountain and Pyga as options.

Edited by slickjay007

Norco - Good option

Axis - Crap

Titan - Not a fan

Silverback - Not a fan

Merida - Not a fan

• Trek Top Fuel
  • Rocky Mountain 
  • Giant 
  • The rest

So many generalizations and fake news in one post, it's almost the perfect post.

I've never ridden the garden route area so I do not have the knowledge you have. Can one not put 120mm travel on any of the frames mentioned to make the ride softer? 

You're recommending XC race bikes for someone who lives in the Garden Route, doesn't race for position and wants to have fun on the bike while improving their skills?

All those things point towards a trail bike. Not an XC race machine. 

I went from Scott hardtail and after much this way and that way, bought the alloy RC900. suits my riding perfect and I do not regret a thing. Love the dual lockout system.

Also considered the spez, but as you said, the brain even though there was 5 year service.

bikes I'd consider in the range you're looking at:

Giant Trance 29er 

Merida 120

Spaz Stumpy ST

Scott Spark (NOT the RC)

Each of these have different personalities, strengths and weaknesses. The Trance 29 is a more capable & confidence inspiring heavy hitting bike than the others, from the reviews I've read. 

I went from Scott hardtail and after much this way and that way, bought the alloy RC900. suits my riding perfect and I do not regret a thing. Love the dual lockout system.

Also considered the spez, but as you said, the brain even though there was 5 year service.

Congrats on the new bike and many happy miles. Please remember to post pics or it didn't happen  :whistling: