947 Cycle Challenge 2019

Neville Bailey

• Replies 927
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I look at my close family who cycle

1) Took up cycling, then moved to Ironman, then to Comrades. Back on the bike but only MTB

2) Working towards SA colours in a different sport. Chill riding MTB 

3) Injured but has moved to running and MTB as Road is too HARD boring

My point is that the girls benefit from the guys’ speed in A batch, who are riding faster than the elite ladies.

You are right that girls riding in A batch benefit from the speed of the bunch which is mainly driven by guys and are likely to have a faster time than the elite ladies.

That is however not comparable to the ladies race where they race for the win and not the fastest possible time. it is just comparing apples and pears

You are right that girls riding in A batch benefit from the speed of the bunch which is mainly driven by guys and are likely to have a faster time than the elite ladies.

That is however not comparable to the ladies race where they race for the win and not the fastest possible time. it is just comparing apples and pears

And is probably why there was a rule saying they could only race from a certain group, where the race time would likely be less than that of the Elites, to avoid issue?

When it comes to active participation, Parkrun are on a steep growing climb, manageable (even my lazy brother and sister in law are regulars), convenient and best of all FREE. Looking at their site North Beach had the most participants this past week (1561) and also holds the record of most participants (2527). No fancy aerodynamic carbon, electric shifting, skin suit wearing, gel munching  etc involved. 

I agree, it's not the same. Otherwise the ladies racing in A could have been given podium position. Hence, the rule that states that you have to be in the elites batch to qualify for podium.

And is probably why there was a rule saying they could only race from a certain group, where the race time would likely be less than that of the Elites, to avoid issue?

No that is not the reason. Only racing batches qualify to win the race and not open seeded even if their race time is faster..

On MTB side it is different; there is is simply the fastest time no matter which batch you start in, i.e. there are no racing batches perse.

Not sure whether MTB-ers even need a racing licence?

I agree, it's not the same. Otherwise the ladies racing in A could have been given podium position. Hence, the rule that states that you have to be in the elites batch to qualify for podium.

Correct, and as A batch is open seeded no-one in there qualifies for podium anyway

No that is not the reason. Only racing batches qualify to win the race and not open seeded even if their race time is faster..

On MTB side it is different; there is is simply the fastest time no matter which batch you start in, i.e. there are no racing batches perse.

Not sure whether MTB-ers even need a racing licence?

In MTB, you also have to be in the racing batch for overall. But I have not seen it happen that a person from C batch get the fastest time due to trail congestion and there not being any benefit of a peloton and drafting. No need for license though.

On another note: A girl I have raced against in MTB, usually finishes about 30min (give or take) behind the winner, from ladies A batch. Riding carbon Specialized bike so no disadvantage there. On the road (in A and B batches) she finished about 10min behind the winner and on another occasion even rode faster than the winner.

So yeah, this just emphasises the point - racing on the road with the men is a bit advantageous. I think these girls should just get licensed and race up front and grow the elite batch  :thumbup:

Correct, and as A batch is open seeded no-one in there qualifies for podium anyway

There is however prize money for the first three places in the A batch.

In MTB, you also have to be in the racing batch for overall. But I have not seen it happen that a person from C batch get the fastest time due to trail congestion and there not being any benefit of a peloton and drafting. No need for license though.

Agree it does not happen often but don't think there is anything preventing a person in B batch winning a race if their time is faster

On another note: A girl I have raced against in MTB, usually finishes about 30min (give or take) behind the winner, from ladies A batch. Riding carbon Specialized bike so no disadvantage there. On the road (in A and B batches) she finished about 10min behind the winner and on another occasion even rode faster than the winner.

So yeah, this just emphasises the point - racing on the road with the men is a bit advantageous. I think these girls should just get licensed and race up front and grow the elite batch  :thumbup:

I have been told that is the real reason why women are not allowed in A/B/C batch, ie encourage them to get racing licence and ride elite. Do not agree with that though as there will be plenty women who just enjoy going  fast without having to deal with constant surging in racing cats. Seems odd that as men we can choose to ride like that but chicks can't. 

Either way, think we have said enough about this and have hijacked enough of this thread

There is however prize money for the first three places in the A batch.

True but that does not alter the fact that A Batch is not eligible to win the race overall. No matter how fast they are