Bike choice question for the Cape Town Hubbers

I FLY

We bought an apartment in a Somerset West Estate with the intention of using it for a weekend getaway in the short term and a retirement place in the longer term.

I want to take two of our bikes down there permanently so when we fly down we have bikes to ride.

We currently have:

2 x SC Tallboys

2 x steel single speeds

2 x road bikes.

Ideally I would buy extra bikes

2 x FS bikes

2 x road bikes for the Cape but this seems frivolous

So my current thinking is

2 x SC Tallboys to Cape Town and 

Convert SS bikes to 1x12 for use in JHB

Or 

Convert SS bikes to 1x12 and they go to Cape Town.

We would prefer to ride the bike parks with a little road riding thrown in so option 1 of SC Tallboys to Cape Town makes the most sense to me.

Well you'll have Helderberg and the wannabees trails on your doorstep. With Stellenbosch and Grabouw a hop skip and a jump away.

Helderberg will be more fun on the tallboys, wannabees can be ridden on a gravel bike.

I'd keep my favorites (primary bike) at home, no use in having a lekker bike and then only be able to ride it once or twice a month. But if that isn't a consideration, then the FS will be more fun than a hardtail down here.

Hi There I FLY

Myself personally, I would bring the Tallboys  :thumbup:  There is just so much stunning dirt fun to be had... So If you want to play in the dirt, bring those babies  :thumbup:

Get 2 ebikes for Cape Town. You will cover so much more mileage and be able to ride them when you are old retired!

We are on the same page for when my head agrees with my body that I am old.

Hi There I FLY

Myself personally, I would bring the Tallboys  :thumbup:  There is just so much stunning dirt fun to be had... So If you want to play in the dirt, bring those babies  :thumbup:

Riding all the dirt stuff in the Cape while I am still able to was one of the primary reasons for buying this apartment.

Well you'll have Helderberg and the wannabees trails on your doorstep. With Stellenbosch and Grabouw a hop skip and a jump away.

Helderberg will be more fun on the tallboys, wannabees can be ridden on a gravel bike.

I'd keep my favorites (primary bike) at home, no use in having a lekker bike and then only be able to ride it once or twice a month. But if that isn't a consideration, then the FS will be more fun than a hardtail down here.

Interestingly the steel SS bikes are the bikes we ride the most. Road and Tallboys are normally ridden twice a month on alternate weekends

Riding all the dirt stuff in the Cape while I am still able to was one of the primary reasons for buying this apartment.

Interestingly the steel SS bikes are the bikes we ride the most. Road and Tallboys are normally ridden twice a month on alternate weekends

You've really answered your own question here.  You want to ride all the best Cape trails, so you'll need the TB's in the Cape.  You also use the SS's the most in JHB, so they'll be best served by staying there.  

Edited by dirtypot

You've really answered your own question here.  You want to ride all the best Cape trails, so you'll need the TB's in the Cape.  You also use the SS's the most in JHB, so they'll be best served by staying there.  

Maybe. 

But always good to get input from local knowledge base.

Tallboys to CT. We have way better, more accessible trails that cover pretty vast areas in the Cape that are far better suited to a full suss.

As a guy who rode steel SS bikes to death (even did a couple of Ezelenduro's on one of them and Freedom Challenge on another) I can cover and enjoy trail centres like Jonkers and Grabouw a LOT better on Jeffsy.

I still have a steel SS, but it gets used less and less unfortunately.

I think you've answered your own question just about there.

With Stellies and Grabouw on your doorstep the SC will be great down here!!

With all the trails around somerset, jonkers, wannabee, and bottlery hills, the full sus are defiantly  the answer, 

there is also some great road rides from somerset into stellies, a nice round trip through brackenfell into stellies and back, some nice climbs on that route but it might be a bit tough on a  SS though 

With all the trails around somerset, jonkers, wannabee, and bottlery hills, the full sus are defiantly  the answer, 

there is also some great road rides from somerset into stellies, a nice round trip through brackenfell into stellies and back, some nice climbs on that route but it might be a bit tough on a  SS though 

I will be changing the SS bikes to 1 x12 gearing regardless of where I keep them 

Then you are sorted, to be honest there is so much riding to be done on and off road in that area, but you will defiantly need the FS to enjoy it all,

good luck and happy trails 

I will be changing the SS bikes to 1 x12 gearing regardless of where I keep them