Chris Willemse Cycles Online: THE BIG CLEARANCE SALE!

CWC Online

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Be careful about the Cycle lab sale and its pricing particularly when they tell you they can "take something off ". They fail to tell you that it has been marked up beyond its retail price.

Here is an example. A Sportful jacket was marked at R1999.99 but a "special" discount of R300 was given after asking for a best price at Cycle Lab Four ways last night. So R1700.

On the CWC (CycleLab sale) website the same jacket is marked at R1799.99 and marked down to R1549.99.

Willing buyer, willing seller and all that, but just know that they are lying to you and that leaves a bitter taste.

post-50-0-53623400-1566627591_thumb.jpg

post-50-0-99349600-1566627629_thumb.jpg

Edited by eddy

Be careful about the Cycle lab sale and its pricing particularly when they tell you they can "take something off ". They fail to tell you that it has been marked up beyond its retail price.

Here is an example. A Sportful jacket was marked at R1999.99 but a "special" discount of R300 was given after asking for a best price at Cycle Lab Four ways last night. So R1700.

On the CWC (CycleLab sale) website the same jacket is marked at R1799.99 and marked down to R1549.99.

Willing buyer, willing seller and all that, but just know that they are lying to you and that leaves a bitter taste.

Not sure that there is any genuine deception afoot. Probably just poor communication between the merchandising teams.

I'm sure they would price match at the till or credit the difference if there is a discrepancy discovered during the sale period...

They are not always trying to screw you, I've noticed a few times that the shop prices vary from the online one and they would sell it at the online price if you tell them, even when they were just CWC.

At the sale they gave me shorts at a lower price and when I asked they gave me a pair of shorts that was not part of the sale at the same price.

Not sure that there is any genuine deception afoot. Probably just poor communication between the merchandising teams.

I'm sure they would price match at the till or credit the difference if there is a discrepancy discovered during the sale period...

YYSW, I still think it is a dick move to expect a new cyclist kitting herself out to price-check them against their own store pricing.

As I said, willing buyer/willing seller but there is now someone who feels ripped of and as she will NEVER believe anything they tell her again, and will never go back.

Didn’t the ASA take issue with that practice a while ago (not with CWC)

YYSW, I still think it is a dick move to expect a new cyclist kitting herself out to price-check them against their own store pricing.

As I said, willing buyer/willing seller but there is now someone who feels ripped of and as she will NEVER believe anything they tell her again, and will never go back.

LOTS of threads and post with the same "centiment" on this forum .... Off CWC, later CycleLab, but also of many other shops ....

This "industry" has a very bad reputation when it gets to "price fixing" .... Penalties have been dished out previously ....

Now look at the Wahoo trainers, as just one example.  EVERYBODY has the exact same price on their websites !!  Then you get a PM and get offered a better price .... You walk into a shop, and the salesperson says they "must" show that price on their websites, but they can giveyou a R1000 gift voucher, or if you buy instore you can get R1500 off the price ....

So when you check prices consider THREE things:

- if everybody shows the exact same price, go speak to a human and get a better price ...

- if everybody shows a different "RRP", and everybody has the same item at a different price, then you best shop around .... willing buyer and all that bring your own vaseline stuff ....

- "sales" ... be VERY wide awake !!!  almost all stores have been caught out ramping up the RRP the day before the "sale", and even with an absurd discount you still pay more than the day before .... MANY screen grabs of these on many different threads ....  And yes, CWC/CL has been called out on this many times, BUT, so has many of the other stores ....

TIP - the modern era allows you check any price in SECONDS ....  The better the "sale", the better you need to check up .....

The hard reality .... if you want each item at the lowest price ... you are going to "shop around" a LOT !!  No single store is consistently "the cheapest" ....  These "sales" are no better than click bait to get "feet in the door"  (virtual and physical)

TIP - the modern era allows you check any price in SECONDS ....  The better the "sale", the better you need to check up .....

The hard reality .... if you want each item at the lowest price ... you are going to "shop around" a LOT !!  No single store is consistently "the cheapest" ....  These "sales" are no better than click bait to get "feet in the door"  (virtual and physical)

You miss the point, this is THE SAME BUSINESS, on the same day, not a competitor. Hell, a few weeks ago stuff I bought on the previous CWC sale was delivered with a Cycle Lab price tag and barcode on.

Still, a new cyclist who spent around R6k-R7k on kit feels ripped off, and I cannot say I blame her.

Boksburg store appear to have limited to no stock of some items. That said I picked up a pair of Indola BiBs for 20% less than advertised on Indola's own site. 

Edited by scotty

You miss the point, this is THE SAME BUSINESS, on the same day, not a competitor. Hell, a few weeks ago stuff I bought on the previous CWC sale was delivered with a Cycle Lab price tag and barcode on.

Still, a new cyclist who spent around R6k-R7k on kit feels ripped off, and I cannot say I blame her.

Oooo, but I DO get the point .... having paid R10k for an item, which they sold for R7k hours later (shop vs on-line...)

Maybe just too diplomatic in my previous post ....

CHECK prices, and check again again ... between different stores AND between CWC online vs in-store ....