Shimano 12 Speed compatibility

Fitbull

I do have a little chuckle when I read the "poor SRAM shifting" stories, "Shimano saved the day. I used to think Shimano was the dogs danglies too but SRAM has proven to be more robust, more forgiving of poor set up and the durability is superb.

I know people have preferences but I've not found any Shimano 11speed or 12 speed system to shift better than SRAM at the back.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

In December we bought my dad a giant with GX 12s on it. From day 1 it wasn't great and didn't really measure up to the hype. Six months later my dad was tired of the poor shifting and upgraded to XTR 12s on the GX cassette.....crisp as can be.

With regards to X01 and XX1, they just so over priced. You can get 2 XT upgrade kits for one X01 or 1 XTR and save R4000 compared to one X01. So while the durability of XT is unproven I doubt X01 will last double the time of an XT set up.

I think you might be a bit harsh comparing the Eagle GX to XTR.

The Shimano upgrade kit is a shifter and derailleur, whereas the SRAM upgrade kits includes a cassette and chain, and that's were the costs lie. And if the XO1 cassette is too costly, there are a number of alternatives which come up in every thread relating to 'is 1 x 12 worth it?' threads

Hi

In December we bought my dad a giant with GX 12s on it. From day 1 it wasn't great and didn't really measure up to the hype. Six months later my dad was tired of the poor shifting and upgraded to XTR 12s on the GX cassette.....crisp as can be.

With regards to X01 and XX1, they just so over priced. You can get 2 XT upgrade kits for one X01 or 1 XTR and save R4000 compared to one X01. So while the durability of XT is unproven I doubt X01 will last double the time of an XT set up.

By now you have guessed I am a "Shimano phile" but I do have an issue with the way they have done the licensing of the micro spline technology, I think this is a major stumbling block for someone like me who uses Hope hubs.

As for the compatibility question I was told the same thing about the pitch of the chain which made no sense to me. However the advice I got was to simply run a KMC 12s chain as I wanted to run the 12s 11 - 50 Sunrace cassette with XT and my existing crank and 11s chainring. I think this is the set up I am going to settle on but if anyone has tried it and it hasn't work please share :)

The Sram setup costs are high I agree - but I don't agree that they are more expensive than Shimano per kilometre in the long run

Interesting thread... currently have the XT shifter and derailleur duing duty with a Sunrace 11-50 cassette and a YBN chain (from Rapide). It shifts flawlessly. And I kept my "11 speed" front chain ring. No issues whatsoever.

ugh. just buy what you want. threads and comments like in this thread is part of the reason I only wear unbranded/plain clothes lol....because i think you look like a tit with that fox or billabong tshirt.

He said she said this is more betterer than who said.... who cares. if it works it works. I like shimano shifters because of multi/instant release which the sram ones don't have. it cuts out half of the shifting action. Easy as that. 

I have red somewhere that Shimano are allowing other companies to start manufacturing there freehubs.

So I think it will only be a good option in the near future.  

I have red somewhere that Shimano are allowing other companies to start manufacturing there freehubs.

So I think it will only be a good option in the near future.  

You're referring to Shimano allowing more companies to license the Microspline freehub design. 

Yes it will certainly help Shimano get back some Aftermarket business that they lost to SRAM. But 2020 models are already on the floor and 2021 models are being specced with SRAM again. Aftermarket hub manufacturers will only be able to tool up once the license is granted so it'll be mid 2020 before you see a Microspline free hub from Hope for example. 

How many people are going to ditch most of the groupset on their 2020 bikes to fit Shimano parts when the majority of 12speed bikes out there is equipped with SRAM XD drivers?

As much as I'd love my next upgrade to be a 12 speed Shimano SLX derailleur with XTR shifter and Sunrace cassette, kmc chain on my hope pro2 (shimano splined) hubs. The fact that I would be required to read through countless threads and opinions on what works and what doesn't, stuff that, I'd rather go Sram. Or Box  :ph34r:

I'm going to give the 9100 shifter and derailleur a go and run that off the SRAM GX cassette already on the bike; and will switch to a Shimano cassette once the micro spline becomes more readily available.

The XTR x 12 is far more affordable than XO1 and XX1 which makes it a winner.

Edited by keithbe

And Shimano brakes are way better... my Guide Ultimates have been replaced 3 times under warranty. I love a brand that doesnt do recalls for product defects... said no one ever.

• 5 months later...

I changed from 2x10 to 1x12 XT.  I have had very bad luck with the Shimano rear hub.  In 3 months both made terrible noise when pedalling hard.  Shimano replaced the 1st one but second one did the same after cpl of km's.  They say the Shimano rear hub is faulty and busy to see how they can sort it out.  What is sad they know there is a problem with the hubs but still sell them.  Waiting on to see what is going to happen next.

• 2 months later...

Hi All

I want to get a Shimano 12 speed kit.

I currently have a SRAM Eagle setup. I have heard that my current crankset and chainring (NX Eagle DUB) are not compatible with the Shimano 12-speed chain. I am not in the mood to buy a new crankset.

What chainring options do I have that fit SRAM Direct Mount (DM) and are designed to work with the Shimnao HG+ 12 speed chain? I have only found a Wolftooth option (R1500 as per the Wolftooth website) and it is only listed on their website. I have not found one at our local online shops.

TIA

Hi All

I want to get a Shimano 12 speed kit.

I currently have a SRAM Eagle setup. I have heard that my current crankset and chainring (NX Eagle DUB) are not compatible with the Shimano 12-speed chain. I am not in the mood to buy a new crankset.

What chainring options do I have that fit SRAM Direct Mount (DM) and are designed to work with the Shimnao HG+ 12 speed chain? I have only found a Wolftooth option (R1500 as per the Wolftooth website) and it is only listed on their website. I have not found one at our local online shops.

TIA

Absolute Black makes an Oval SRAM DM SH12+  BOOST Chainring that will fit.

30T - 34T available at R1295 each.

Absolute Black makes an Oval SRAM DM SH12+  BOOST Chainring that will fit.

30T - 34T available at R1295 each.

Thanks Naas. I don't want an Oval ring. Do you guys have the Wolftooth?

The Shimano 12 speed chain will not work with an 11 speed chainring (also Shimano but m8000). I know this from personal experience because I have the 12 speed upgrade kit sitting at home that I cannot use until my new chainring arrives.

Also, as a side note, getting the rear derailleur to work with a direct mount hanger is also a bit of a pain in the ass and requires a bit of a bodge job.

Thats interesting. My 12 speed Sram chain works better than the 11 speed Sram chains on my 11 speed Sram setup.