Hydration Backpack opinions

VirenB

I bought a Osprey Raptor Viper 9 years ago and have been completely happy.

I had a serious fall in a slippery river on one occasion falling directly on my back.

Thank goodness for wearing the hydration pack that took the full impact of the fall.

It developed a leak near the outlet from the bladder and the bite valve developed a hole.

Found the agents in Cape Town, sent the bladder and bite valve to them and received replacements without delay...was impressed.

Suggestion: buy a bottle of Collodial silver solution (Biosil is one brand) and put

a capful into each filling of your pack. This will keep bacteria and smells at bay.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tip for keeping a Bpack bladder muck free; post ride soak in some water with baby bottle cleaner. Rinse and store on the freezer until next time.

anyone on here try a mtb(cycling) specific hip pack ?

I'm very keen but it's a lot of dosh to just "try"

Personally I found the trail running hip packs that takez the water bottle more secure, less bounce and they usually wrap around the hips. The couple of MTB ones I've tried have this issue where the more you put in the bigger the pack grows away from you back and that leads to bounce. I've had the Camelbak one (the repack?) and you could only really fill the bladder in that to 50% (750ml) before it started to move too much and bugged the hell out of me. 

The new Repack is supposed to be better with build in tighteners to make sure you can strap it down more. The Inov8 one I have is not made any more but really works because the equipment pockets taper almost all the way around the waist so you can spread your gear, tightening it makes pulls everything together and you're not trying to stop a big block moving horizontally about on your arse. 

For me the ones with a bottle is better than say the Evoc or the Camelbak as I use it on shorter rides, can get a bit 750+ bottle in there and don't have another bladder to clean and hack with post ride. 

Personally I found the trail running hip packs that takez the water bottle more secure, less bounce and they usually wrap around the hips. The couple of MTB ones I've tried have this issue where the more you put in the bigger the pack grows away from you back and that leads to bounce. I've had the Camelbak one (the repack?) and you could only really fill the bladder in that to 50% (750ml) before it started to move too much and bugged the hell out of me. 

The new Repack is supposed to be better with build in tighteners to make sure you can strap it down more. The Inov8 one I have is not made any more but really works because the equipment pockets taper almost all the way around the waist so you can spread your gear, tightening it makes pulls everything together and you're not trying to stop a big block moving horizontally about on your arse. 

For me the ones with a bottle is better than say the Evoc or the Camelbak as I use it on shorter rides, can get a bit 750+ bottle in there and don't have another bladder to clean and hack with post ride. 

You are making me think now...I should probably now reconsider my investment.

Do you still have it? If yes I might be keen to take it off your Hans

Nah, sold it on along with my normal MULE once I got the Henty. That thing is a keeper. 

I have a Camelbak one for you - the one with the 1.5L bladder. It's baby blue though - used only a couple times.

• 2 years later...
On 10/2/2019 at 2:17 PM, Chadvdw67 said:

That is a very blanket based statement, I can tell you now that on a hotish day I can/will/do go through every drop of my 2l backpack on a 25km ride.

Exactly what happened yesterday ...

Riding partner finished his 2 liter hydration pack in 25km .... by which time my single bottle was already empty .... yes, lots of elevation, and 30+ temperatures.

We started looking for a farmstead to get some water.  VERY happy to find a wine tasting spot at the 32km mark.

Cold water have never tasted so good 👍

I am now in the market for a hydration pack, for longer rides and elevated temperatures.

I have absolutely no experience with these .... any advise will be appreciated.

Google has left me confused ....

Hydration packs from a few hundred rands to a few thousand rands ....

What is best avoided ?

Or rather, what is worth the extra money ?

I do the shorts (60km) with a 3L. Really not sure what to avoid as I'm a Thule fanboy but I like the fit the way it magnetically fits back to position and doesn't get in the way. Still I take a bottle always Better to have and not need then to need and not have... 

image.png.ccd5dec4edb84c8ef0ce0888bc110067.png

5 minutes ago, OVERDRIVE said:

I do the shorts (60km) with a 3L. Really not sure what to avoid as I'm a Thule fanboy but I like the fit the way it magnetically fits back to position and doesn't get in the way. Still I take a bottle always Better to have and not need then to need and not have... 

image.png.ccd5dec4edb84c8ef0ce0888bc110067.png

Will certainly look at these 👍

Have only had excellent service from Thule.  And the fit has always been superb

Still use my (now ancient) Dakine 3l pack for bike days out or rides where I take my Canon with 70-200 lens with for some riding photos. 

It is normally stuffed with snacks, spares, and pads strapped to it. 

For 30km or less a Camelbak Repack 1.5l with a OneUp pump, some spares, and a chocolate bar does the trick. Surprising amount of space in this guy. Fidlock 500ml helps if I know its hot and i’ll take some electrolytes in there  

Short rides I have a 500ml Fidlock bottle with water. 

Hydration packs do get hot and sweaty on your back but they stay in place when the trail gets rough and wheels leave the ground often. 

Hip packs are cooler but do need adjusting as the bladder empties. They bounce on rough trails a little but you get used to it.