Hydration Backpack opinions

VirenB

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/30/2022 at 11:34 AM, OVERDRIVE said:

I do the shorts (60km) with a 3L. Really not sure what to avoid as I'm a Thule fanboy but I like the fit the way it magnetically fits back to position and doesn't get in the way. Still I take a bottle always Better to have and not need then to need and not have... 

image.png.ccd5dec4edb84c8ef0ce0888bc110067.png

thule make good stuff, but you pay for the name to be on it.

hydration packs come a long way since we called them camelbaks only, specifically the fit and the bite valves that no longer leak.

Find something that works for you, tradeoffs with everything.

On 1/30/2022 at 6:46 PM, OVERDRIVE said:

Horror! I really hope he's wrong. Will def get back to you after I have consulted. 

Chatted to Thule, they outsource the bladder from HydraPak. Just waiting to hear from them how we get it here, will update. 

Before everyone jumps on this, even Ferrari source parts from other suppliers, as does Specialized, LOL 

Hydration Reservoirs | HydraPak

10 hours ago, OVERDRIVE said:

Chatted to Thule, they outsource the bladder from HydraPak. Just waiting to hear from them how we get it here, will update. 

Before everyone jumps on this, even Ferrari source parts from other suppliers, as does Specialized, LOL 

Hydrapak makes Salomon's soft flasks as well. Probably the bladders too. 

I'm using a Camelbak bladder in my Salomon backpack. Don't overthink bladders. If it fits, it will work. 

19 minutes ago, PhilipV said:

Hydrapak makes Salomon's soft flasks as well. Probably the bladders too. 

I'm using a Camelbak bladder in my Salomon backpack. Don't overthink bladders. If it fits, it will work. 

I think it is more a case of the bladder warranty, I see Hydrapak also has a "beyond lifetime warranty" whatever that means, but Camelbak has a great track record with replacing broken bladders

https://www.decathlon.co.za/trail-running-equipment/168329-29289-mixed-ultra-trail-running-bag-15-l-blackslashbronze.html#/demodelcolor-8488290/demodelsize-200mslashl?queryID=f82e037257c173a6a3608cf87e4eb1f4&objectID=2503236

designed for trail running but works really well for cycling too...really well made and thought out and NOTHING comes close at this price...

quality is on par with any Salomon or other high-end hydration pack..mine is 3 years old and still looks new..

smaller 10L and 5L options available too...

Edited by guidodg

3 hours ago, guidodg said:

https://www.decathlon.co.za/trail-running-equipment/168329-29289-mixed-ultra-trail-running-bag-15-l-blackslashbronze.html#/demodelcolor-8488290/demodelsize-200mslashl?queryID=f82e037257c173a6a3608cf87e4eb1f4&objectID=2503236

designed for trail running but works really well for cycling too...really well made and thought out and NOTHING comes close at this price...

quality is on par with any Salomon or other high-end hydration pack..mine is 3 years old and still looks new..

I use their bladder only in my own backpack. Works great and for R200 you really cannot go wrong.

https://www.decathlon.co.za/sport-trail-mtb-water-bag-adult/184912-2852-2l-hydration-bladder.html#/demodelundefined-8399482/demodelsize-254no_size?queryID=79faf61e4a567946920462d85cab0c9e&objectID=2365645

On 1/30/2022 at 6:24 PM, ChrisF said:

What is the difference between the "normal" and "ladies" Camelback units ? :whistling:

Absolutely no bloody idea. Suits me just fine! 

17 hours ago, OVERDRIVE said:

Hydrapak and Camelbak are the two main hydration bladders suppliers. Hydrapak is sort off a generic and they supply

USWE

Thule

First Ascent

Osprey

etc, etc, etc

7 hours ago, Chadvdw67 said:

I think it is more a case of the bladder warranty, I see Hydrapak also has a "beyond lifetime warranty" whatever that means, but Camelbak has a great track record with replacing broken bladders

what it means is that if you suspect your wife is poisoning you for the insurance money piss in the bladder and insist the pack goes in the coffin with you. That way they will catch her beyond your lifetime

23 hours ago, ouzo said:

I thought hydration packs were not cool

but for the very reason displayed in the dirty water bottle pic above I think they should make a comeback

They are just using crappy bottles. Camebaks own bottles (and others) have nice silicone caps that cover the spout for this exact reason lol.
My bike can carry 3L of water with ease. I hate riding with weight on my back as some have mentioned here already.
Camelbaks are only really a bandaid on dual sus bikes that can barely fit 1 x 600ml bottle between the frame and the rear shock imo. 

6 hours ago, guidodg said:

i actually went straight there to check first..the basic cycling one is crap (but then it's only R300).

i have a decathlon brand running vest, you will not beat this product bang for buck in Mzansi.

This thread is 2 years old now? I thought it was recent. 

Who is looking for a hydration pack and have you made up your mind as yet?

• 3 months later...
On 1/31/2022 at 9:10 PM, OVERDRIVE said:

@OVERDRIVE did you get any feedback about sourcing Thule bladders ?

I bought the 2 liter Classic Camelback.

Actually liking it more than I ever expected to.

With winter almost here a "bit" of schoolfees are about to be paid ....  layering clothing is a good start to a winter ride .... but at some point you need packing space for some of the layers .... and the Camelbak Classic has hardly any packing space.

The Rogue has a bit more space .... though that stretch fabric does not bolster confidence.

Friends have older Rogue models.  Much nicer packing modules.

Struggling to find any other models in SA, that are actually in stock ....

What do you do with your layers as the day heats up ?