Hydration Backpack opinions

VirenB

11 hours ago, ChrisF said:

I Struggling to find any other models in SA, that are actually in stock ....

What do you do with your layers as the day heats up ?

How many layers do you really expect to pack? If it is just one layer, you might be able to stuff it in the bladder compartment?

The Camelbak bags are nice minimalist bags, but I won't buy a Rogue or a classic. If it has to be Camelbak, and you can get stock, get the Chase or the Mule. Especially for you, who carries for two. 

I'll be honest though, after going riding with my running (running pack/waistcoat/whateveritscalled) pack, I've retired my riding backpack. The riding packs are years behind the trail running packs ITO comfort and not moving. 

My 12L Salomon is versatile enough for the days where I grab 1 soft flask bottle and a rain jacket, but on Saturday it packed 3L of water, 300ml milk, gas stove, matches, breakfast, warm jacket, rain jacket, a lot of snacks and a first aid kit for a 5hr mountain mission.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, PhilipV said:

How many layers do you really expect to pack? If it is just one layer, you might be able to stuff it in the bladder compartment?

The Camelbak bags are nice minimalist bags, but I won't buy a Rogue or a classic. If it has to be Camelbak, and you can get stock, get the Chase or the Mule. Especially for you, who carries for two. 

I'll be honest though, after going riding with my running (running pack/waistcoat/whateveritscalled) pack, I've retired my riding backpack. The riding packs are years behind the trail running packs ITO comfort and not moving. 

My 12L Salomon is versatile enough for the days where I grab 1 soft flask bottle and a rain jacket, but on Saturday it packed 3L of water, 300ml milk, gas stove, matches, breakfast, warm jacket, rain jacket, a lot of snacks and a first aid kit for a 5hr mountain mission.

True, until you fall in it though. That fabric gets torn apart quicker than an injured gazelle on the Serengeti.

The mule is fantastic as a stash pack. The modular hard back system also breathes well AND importantly forms a protective layer between your back and your tools/anything hard in the pack.

I actually rode Freedom challenge with the Mule and a custom made front pack. It is hardy and it works.

Running packs are super comfy and I agree, hold a lot for their body hugging size, but they are not really hardy and sit high on the torso. 

As someone who rode Motorbikes, dress for the fall, not the ride.  

1 hour ago, PhilipV said:

..... get the Chase or the Mule....

Thank you.

I will keep an eye out for stock of these 👍

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

True, until you fall in it though. That fabric gets torn apart quicker than an injured gazelle on the Serengeti.

The mule is fantastic as a stash pack. The modular hard back system also breathes well AND importantly forms a protective layer between your back and your tools/anything hard in the pack.

I actually rode Freedom challenge with the Mule and a custom made front pack. It is hardy and it works.

Running packs are super comfy and I agree, hold a lot for their body hugging size, but they are not really hardy and sit high on the torso. 

As someone who rode Motorbikes, dress for the fall, not the ride.  

good point, the running tumbles don't compare to the mtb slide, roll, stop and groan.

First Ascent Stealth pack looks like a good mix of the straps to make it sit and stay, with harder materials. Also the Camelbak Chase. And USWE as well. 

Maybe one day when I grow up we'll see the ideal hybrid packs....

• 2 months later...

Bit off topic ....

Doing long rides with my e.MTB I use a back pack for a sparebattery .... THUS ... no Camelback.

For good measure my frame only takes one of 650ml water bottel.  I normally have 1 or 2 spare bottles in the back.pack, depending on ride length.

I have been advised to take some gummyberry juice during longer rides (2 hour plus).

It would be easy with a two bottle frame ....

QUESTION .... how difficult would it be to add a bladder to a large back pack ?

What must I look out for ?

If it is a 2l bladder, this could be my primary water supply, and the water bottel can have the gummyberry juice.  Alternatively a less than 1 liter bladder can be used for the juice ....

Thoughts and recommendations welcome 👍

11 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Bit off topic ....

Doing long rides with my e.MTB I use a back pack for a sparebattery .... THUS ... no Camelback.

For good measure my frame only takes one of 650ml water bottel.  I normally have 1 or 2 spare bottles in the back.pack, depending on ride length.

I have been advised to take some gummyberry juice during longer rides (2 hour plus).

If it is a 2l bladder, this could be my primary water supply, and the water bottel can have the gummyberry juice.  Alternatively a less than 1 liter bladder can be used for the juice ....

What backpack are you using right now?

Most day packs have a space for a bladder and hose opening. 

1 minute ago, PhilipV said:

What backpack are you using right now?

Most day packs have a space for a bladder and hose opening. 

It is a large (tall) Thule backpack.

I had to buy the tallest unit to fit the length of the ebike battery.

Plenty space on either side of it though.

27 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

It is a large (tall) Thule backpack.

I had to buy the tallest unit to fit the length of the ebike battery.

Plenty space on either side of it though.

Look for a space like this against the back of the backpack. The reservoir sleeve. 

If it's a hiking pack then it should be there. 

F9A96EF5-75BE-4E41-95E0-31BA7CAA8D8B.jpeg

14 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Just as a side note, I would not recommend using the bladder for juice. Almost impossible to get the taste out afterwards. Rather use the bladder for water and the bottle for juice.

My 2c.

14 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Bit off topic ....

If the real issue comes down to carrying more water on the bike, have you tried the holy rail? I had this same issue for 2 years on my 2018 Scott Spark - I carried 1 bottle on the bike and after some tinkering and help from the local bike shop, I can now get 2 bottles (a 700ml and 600ml) on the bike using holy rail. No more water bottles in jersey pouch which also creates space for packing more bars and light jacket in the jersey pocket if needed.

24 minutes ago, Mattman said:

If the real issue comes down to carrying more water on the bike, have you tried the holy rail? I had this same issue for 2 years on my 2018 Scott Spark - I carried 1 bottle on the bike and after some tinkering and help from the local bike shop, I can now get 2 bottles (a 700ml and 600ml) on the bike using holy rail. No more water bottles in jersey pouch which also creates space for packing more bars and light jacket in the jersey pocket if needed.

Jip, tried the holy rail.

The Medium Giant ebike frame has a SMALL triangle.  It barely fits a 650ml bottle.

Will probably end up using this for the juice bottle, and retrofit a bladder into the battery back pack.  Need to find a narrow bladder ... the Camelback bladder is too wide and will clash with the battery.

Thanks for all the valuable input. :thumbup:

Sew/thread 2 strong elastics onto the front of the shoulder straps. You can easily hold 2 bottles there and the weight on the front will counter the battery weight a bit. 

• 5 months later...

On the uswe packs, how hot does the drink get (1.5L version)? Any worse than a normal bottle? Also, how much worse do you sweat with the uswe? Tried a camelback once, but I overheated quite badly with it on my back.

14 hours ago, W@nted said:

On the uswe packs, how hot does the drink get (1.5L version)? Any worse than a normal bottle? Also, how much worse do you sweat with the uswe? Tried a camelback once, but I overheated quite badly with it on my back.

I recently pulled the trigger on a USWE Airborne 3 after using a Camelbak and many other hydration packs for many years, after a few rides here's my take.

Local prices are insane @ SW they were 3.3K I got mine overseas online from BikeInn for 1.2K

It has a top fill bladder so a little more difficult to fill - I remove the bladder, which is no big deal as it means you can at least inspect the bladder for any funny stuff growing inside at the same time  - the Camelbak you can simply open the cap and fill.

When i first tried it on, I thought Wow! this harness is really small and tight ! I did get the largest one they make in this model. It has a 2L bladder that i fill to max 1.5L. I found the velcro adjustments on the harness really worked well, you set the harness while its on your back and the velcro is serious HD stuff. Once its setup, it sits high between your shoulder blades and their "No dancing Monkey" hype certainly works well - Its sits properly on your back and doesn't move around at all even in the rough stuff.

Mine has a detachable tool bag which I remove for normal rides as I have a tool clamshell mounted on my seatpost - I would probably use the detachable tool bag on 100 mile events - So besides the water there is a waterproof pocket that i can fit my phone, car keys and spare AXS battery - for night rides my helmet light battery fits as well - The magnetic goody for holding the mouth tube really works well.

The water doesn't heat up any worse than the Camelbak which has never been a issue for me.

Sweating on the back and shoulders is also no worse than Camelbak, in fact the USWE has better ventilation on the back padding and harness than any other hydration system i've used.

On my first ride I didn't think i would like it as it sits very high and feels fairly tight on the chest, but 30 min later i was wow this thing works really well, the harness is elasticated so it doesn't impede breathing - And I blow like a train on the hills - It basically feels part of your body once you ridden a couple of hours with it.

As i mentioned earlier - Locally they insane with their prices - 2K difference I cannot understand how they even stay in business, fortunately i'm in a position to order online when i'm in Europe or I would still be riding with my Camelbak .

15 hours ago, W@nted said:

They dont get any hotter than camelbaks in my opinion, and they hold fit more firmly as madmarc says, but if you are worried about getting hot, try a Camelbak Repack, the hip pack, yoy definitely stay cooler wearing those compared to backpack style packs, and they are really comfortable 

Edited by Chadvdw67