WP Cycling - What were you thinking?

Grease_Monkey

We raced the whole season in cat2 with no backup and we survived.

Guide line for cat groups

Cat 1 A in ppa

Cat 2 B/C/D in PPA or over 36 years old(I think) with A seeding  

Cat 3 is the rest

What people forget is WP league is racing for position and not for time, the tactics is totally different than for PPA racing.

I agree thats its a schlep with no water points but it would of been a waste with the racing guys not stopping there

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was not at this year's event, but here is some extra advice and caution for the next time...….In the conditions yesterday that you describe , one's body would be losing a big amount of sodium and electrolytes through sweating. Research has shown that replacing with only pure water has the potential to make the situation worse because you would be further diluting the electrolyte and sodium concentration in the body.

Had there been  water point/s , you would have been better off by pouring the water over your head and body to cool down your body.

Take along electrolyte tablets next time . Your coach from years ago may not have been totally correct by insisting that you down big doses of water .

FOR WHATS ITS WORTH.

I was not at this year's event, but here is some extra advice and caution for the next time...….In the conditions yesterday that you describe , one's body would be losing a big amount of sodium and electrolytes through sweating. Research has shown that replacing with only pure water has the potential to make the situation worse because you would be further diluting the electrolyte and sodium concentration in the body.

Had there been water point/s , you would have been better off by pouring the water over your head and body to cool down your body.

Take along electrolyte tablets next time . Your coach from years ago may not have been totally correct by insisting that you down big doses of water .

FOR WHATS ITS WORTH.

I use water as a general term, coach was refering to fluids in general. I had all my gels, tabs, rehydrate sachets... I have done a few ultra distance events so I have an idea of what is necessary to stay propperly hydrated and fueled, but without water those things mean nothing.

I think this is a 'damned if you do, damned if you do' situation.....

The old hands are socially programmed to say 'that's how it always has been', the non roadies think it's silly and the armchair professionals will pick apart any micro point to be right, whether it fits the overall narrative or not.

IMHO they should have provided 1 x refill point along the way. That way there is at least an option to stop and take on fluid for whatever you need it for.

That being said, these 'races' are notoriously poorly augmented which is one reason they are also quite poorly attended. It's a bit of an 'old boys club' which is why the sport doesn't really grow.

Anyway, glad you aren't on a dialysis machine today with roasted kidneys and swollen glands.

Dying would also be a pretty *** side effect of a bike race...........

But ja.... duh....... it's always been like this. Didn't you know?! pffffft

But ja.... duh....... it's always been like this. Didn't you know?! pffffft

I think you are missing the point, like bodger pointed out league racing is about position & staying with or ahead of the bunch until the finish. Vast majority of the field won't stop at the waterpoint even if there was one because that will effectively end your race so it is a bit pointless having one.

They cater for a different crowd than PPA funrides and I for one find the differences refreshing, no bells & whistles, waterpoints, goodie bags, race villages etc. You just pitch up with your bike and race.

Sorry for the slight hijack and also sorry for the tough time.

What would u guys recommend on the hot days coming, i spend any where from 2 to 3 hours on the mtb. On very hot days i will have my hydration pack. I also use a bottle which will have either rehydrate or a mix of energy drink and water.

Sorry for the slight hijack and also sorry for the tough time.

What would u guys recommend on the hot days coming, i spend any where from 2 to 3 hours on the mtb. On very hot days i will have my hydration pack. I also use a bottle which will have either rehydrate or a mix of energy drink and water.

We all don't lose sodium at the same rate.. so past experience in hot weather can also give you an idea of what may be too little or too much.

But as a general rule, hydration strategy starts the day or days before the event especially during prolonged hot summer weather.

1.Filling up with water only on the day before should be avoided. An electrolyte or sodium solution such as hydrate is preferable.

2. The morning of the event too , depending on how hot the day is going to be, continue sipping. But end your drinking at least 1 hour before the ride.

3. Energy sports drinks too have a concentration of electrolytes with the carb mixture, but on extremely hot days you must be more mindful of the sodium intake.

4.Use water to cool your head and body.

NB. Not my own ideas, just what I have learnt and used with good results.  

We all don't lose sodium at the same rate.. so past experience in hot weather can also give you an idea of what may be too little or too much.

But as a general rule, hydration strategy starts the day or days before the event especially during prolonged hot summer weather.

1.Filling up with water only on the day before should be avoided. An electrolyte or sodium solution such as hydrate is preferable.

2. The morning of the event too , depending on how hot the day is going to be, continue sipping. But end your drinking at least 1 hour before the ride.

3. Energy sports drinks too have a concentration of electrolytes with the carb mixture, but on extremely hot days you must be more mindful of the sodium intake.

4.Use water to cool your head and body.

NB. Not my own ideas, just what I have learnt and used with good results.  

Yeah, I always use water from my pack to rinse my head and back. Then someone told me I must be careful when doing that as it can lead to a stroke. Not sure how true, but I still do it.

also started in cat2 but with only 1 bottle, clearly i wasnt thinking either. funny thing is i had planned to ditch the bottle with what was left at the start of the climb turns out there was nothing left so i just kept it on the bike

also started in cat2 but with only 1 bottle, clearly i wasnt thinking either. funny thing is i had planned to ditch the bottle with what was left at the start of the climb turns out there was nothing left so i just kept it on the bike

When I do ride road, normally 60 to 80km. I use 2 x 750ml bottles and find its just about enough. I cant imagine what u guys went through. 

I have used my hydration pack as well on the road and received lots of death stairs lol. I wonder what it would be like in a race.

I think you are missing the point, like bodger pointed out league racing is about position & staying with or ahead of the bunch until the finish. Vast majority of the field won't stop at the waterpoint even if there was one because that will effectively end your race so it is a bit pointless having one.

They cater for a different crowd than PPA funrides and I for one find the differences refreshing, no bells & whistles, waterpoints, goodie bags, race villages etc. You just pitch up with your bike and race.

I get that. I really do.

I didn't say have all the bells and whistles, just an option. Maybe a parked car with a few 5L water cannisters for the guys who have been dropped and need to get back to their cars.

I'm not a fan of the bells and whistles. But if the temperatures are going to be high, there should be a provision OR even better, communicate.

I was poking fun at the social conditioning... you just proved my point. You've done a few, you know what to expect. It should be clearly communicated that there are no water points and the race for position bla bla... Exactly like you just said.

Not communicating the whole point of the race on the entry process is silly. Just because YOU know doesn't mean other people are bulimic.....

New guys getting into the racing scene who don't have the luxury of a guru to tell them these things are all going to be left surprised and feel a bit demorilised and excluded, hence my 'old boys club' dig.

Just a paragraph saying 'this is a race for position, not time. There are no water points or organised places to stop as that will essentially end your race. Please make provision for this'

Welcome to Racing. A race is not a funride and as said before you are in a race, if you stop at a waterpoint (if there was one) you may as well go home as you would be out of the race.

Leauge racing is not a participation sport, where you get a participation medal, it is racing.

As they say time to drink a cup of cement and hang onto the bunch.

The OP should maybe have done more research before entering.

I could never understand all the moaners about the quality of the waterpoints, as I have never typically had a need for them myself. Damn anything under 100 km should not need any waterpoints.

Anyway, that is just my opinion. It is also probably part of the reason entry fees are where they are, having to cater for all the logistics not really needed.

I get that. I really do.

I didn't say have all the bells and whistles, just an option. Maybe a parked car with a few 5L water cannisters for the guys who have been dropped and need to get back to their cars.

I'm not a fan of the bells and whistles. But if the temperatures are going to be high, there should be a provision OR even better, communicate.

I was poking fun at the social conditioning... you just proved my point. You've done a few, you know what to expect. It should be clearly communicated that there are no water points and the race for position bla bla... Exactly like you just said.

Not communicating the whole point of the race on the entry process is silly. Just because YOU know doesn't mean other people are bulimic.....

New guys getting into the racing scene who don't have the luxury of a guru to tell them these things are all going to be left surprised and feel a bit demorilised and excluded, hence my 'old boys club' dig.

Just a paragraph saying 'this is a race for position, not time. There are no water points or organised places to stop as that will essentially end your race. Please make provision for this'

With respect, when you enter a race/funride/whatever, do you not check out the course, your competition start group etc, If you did any of that you would also notice that something as simple as the seeding  is different and ask questions (I do). Then on the day do you not check the weather conditions and plan accordingly.

As you can her not much sympathy from this old codger.

With respect, when you enter a race/funride/whatever, do you not check out the course, your competition start group etc, If you did any of that you would also notice that something as simple as the seeding is different and ask questions (I do). Then on the day do you not check the weather conditions and plan accordingly.

As you can her not much sympathy from this old codger.

Checked the weather, checked the course, read the whole race info page. NOWHERE did it say this is a league only race, nowhere did it say no water points. So in my mind it was the same as the 100 other events I have done. Race at the front, ride at the back. I'm not some newby cyclist, I have been riding for nearly 15 years, I have done plenty of races. No I'm not competitive at this discipline, but I can ride 100km comfortably (and at a reasonable pace). I was making reasonable assumptions based on past experience.

So where should I have done more research? That's what entry info pages are for - which I read - it looked the same as any other event's page! Had what you said been included there I would not have entered (like I said before).

You cannot open an event to the public and then not cater to the public. It's one or the orher - communicate, or don't let the public enter. Either way, let me make an informed choice when I enter.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

Oh, and PS, also said before - didn't need bells and whistles - a water cannister on the back of a bakkie at the turnaround point would have been fine. There were a few guys around me with empty bottles at that point - they were all in the same boat as me even though they had clearly done this before.

Riding in 35 - 40° heat without water isn't hard, or drinking a cup of cement, it's stupid. You can cause permanent damage to your kidneys. Maybe time to reevaluate old ways of doing things? There was clearly a need for the guys that had already lost the bunch - we weren't going to catch it again - but we did need to get to the finish line/home.

And remember, not everyone loses water at the same rate. I know I drink more fluids than most, and I make peace with knowing I am going to stop to refill every now and then. When a course info page says bring your own water (read Ezel Enduro), I bring a hydration pack. That has just NEVER been my experience with a road race.

I'm not asking you to change racing, or have the bunch stop for water along the way. I'm saying do the responsible thing and have some water available for those that do end up needing it, and more importantly - communicate on the event page so riders can prepare. Everyone has had their first of a type of event. God forbid you have a bad day and lose the bunch on a sweltering hot day and need water.

Maybe take a note from the WP enduro organisers? After you read those info pages you KNOW exactly what you are in for, and can make an informed choice.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

That has just NEVER been my experience with a road race.

Well, THIS WAS YOUR FIRST ROAD RACE, you should have done your homework. The rest have been fun-rides. Different rules apply, don't blame the organisers for doing what has always been the accepted norm, just because your norm is different to theirs. 

I am not defending them as they have issues as all organisers do, but this is really a non topic.