WP Cycling - What were you thinking?

Grease_Monkey

Question is... Do you expect water points when you are racing cat 3 or even cat 4 or 5.

If it is a circuit type race (doing loops) then I would not expect it, if you drop then you can just finish the loop or go on if you do not need water.

All the races I did was in this format (Paardeberg, Windmeul, Raithby, Slanghoek etc)

But it might be a considerate thing to do for races of other formats (e.g. out and back like this one), help the dropped guys get back without dying.

There was also just one race distance for all the different categories, whereas it is normally shorter for Cat2 and Cat3. This was also the longest Cat3 race. 

Edit: double quoted and spelling stuff

Edited by DJTerblanche

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When are we getting Cat4&5 like they have in America.

Cat2&3 is a lot more competitive than last year.

As a B seeded PPA rider I just managed to hang in Cat2 last year and now I am a middle of the pack Cat3 rider.

All of the Cat2 riders can easily ride a sub3 argus and most in Cat3 will also be able.

With it (until recently?) being so easy to get a A-D seeding in PPA this WP cycling rule of A-D belongs in Cat2 makes little sense. Cat3 will be empty unless you got a low PPA seeding because you haven't been doing many PPA races.

At the moment you will get dropped from Cat3 with an FTP below 230 I reckon. You need above 3w/kg and above.

I reckon if the sportifs were more user friendly and didn't treat new comers like outsiders you would see way more 'less competitive' racers wanting to join.

As it stands now, it's not a welcoming format and judging from some of the surly replies, not something I would want to dedicate a weekend to.

(To clarify, not because there aren't any waterpoints... more to do with the perceived 'old boys club' bravado of the racers)

At the moment you will get dropped from Cat3 with an FTP below 230 I reckon. You need above 3w/kg and above.

Ah well there goes that idea #MfM

I reckon if the sportifs were more user friendly and didn't treat new comers like outsiders you would see way more 'less competitive' racers wanting to join.

As it stands now, it's not a welcoming format and judging from some of the surly replies, not something I would want to dedicate a weekend to.

(To clarify, not because there aren't any waterpoints... more to do with the perceived 'old boys club' bravado of the racers)

I assume with "sportifs" you mean the league races and not the PPA sportifs?

The way I see it the league races and PPA funrides play in 2 different spaces and the funrides already caters pretty well for the "less competitive" racers (as you put it) so no need for the league to try and compete with PPA on that, they can co-exist quite nicely. The lap format of most league races is also not suitable to mix fun riders and the faster riders (ever noticed how PPA never do laps?)

I think it is also worth mentioning that the league races are run by a few volunteers who do it for the love of the sport, sure we can criticize things that can be done better, but be mindful that they don't have the resources of a PPA or other large events companies.

PS If surly replies put you off events please stay away from the CTCT thread if you ever intend to do that again....

The way I see it the league races and PPA funrides play in 2 different spaces and the funrides already caters pretty well for the "less competitive" racers (as you put it) so no need for the league to try and compete with PPA on that, they can co-exist quite nicely. The lap format of most league races is also not suitable to mix fun riders and the faster riders (ever noticed how PPA never do laps?)

I think it is also worth mentioning that the league races are run by a few volunteers who do it for the love of the sport, sure we can criticize things that can be done better, but be mindful that they don't have the resources of a PPA or other large events companies.

PS If surly replies put you off events please stay away from the CTCT thread if you ever intend to do that again....

hahahahaha The CTCT scares me at the best of times!

Look, I have been part of volunteers organising things and doing it badly as well as doing it well sometimes AFTER doing it badly.

I would actually quite like to get back on the road bike more and come to some of these but the Clint Eastwood attitude of some of the ballies puts me off a bit.

I kind of feel like I would be a Westsider interfering in Eastside matters.....

respectfully I think the "less competitive rider" may be a rider in transition phase of fun rider to league rider?

what "chewie-toy" does touch on, is how can these kinds of riders be enticed to cross that line and move up to league riding and adopt to the different riding culture that is associated with it.

respectfully I think the "less competitive rider" may be a rider in transition phase of fun rider to league rider?

what "chewie-toy" does touch on, is how can these kinds of riders be enticed to cross that line and move up to league riding and adopt to the different riding culture that is associated with it.

That's exactly what I'm angling at! You read my mind! Are you bulimic?!

OK, but seriously, the "culture" is not that different. Mostly the same old faces you see at the PPA funrides, you just ride a bit faster (and no waterpoints  :P )

Each season I think todo one of these events, then I just remember that one time I tried a "league" event, I got dropped at 10km mark and had a very  long depressing ride rest of the day.

Would be nice to have "beginner" events (cat 10/20/100) for us that want to weekend race each other with similar capabilities and stand a change of have a win in our Category and move up over time or not.

I like this - I'm not slow.... I'm just less competitive -- and therefore destined to be thirsty

Unless you drink cement, then you don't have to be thirsty.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

Now to close off this thread. Note for all WP organised races:

1. OLD SCHOOL

2. NO WATER-POINTS

3. DRINK A CUP OF CEMENT BEFORE YOU START

But seriously if you are doing a race under 120+km it is always safe to assume that water-points would not be there as they are not needed, if they are needed you will be out of the race anyway so why even enter.