2020 Tour de France

pista

My tour views thus far:

Sagan is doing well... I mean that one mountain stage he was back collecting bottles and then his name appears in the top 20, I think thats super form to be able to do that! Just because his not done a stage win people are hating on the Green Jersey. Wanna really talk about jerseys? Well the K.O.M's is a word for concern, the guy can't crest Cat 1 climbs and finishes in 155th position, his not really doing the Poka Dot justice and I see a Columbian taking it to Paris.

This flat stage is going to be hard, so close to the coast, the winds will again break many legs and teams will need to protect GC contenders. The next heavy climbs only appear at Stage 15!

This tour is far from over, Guys at over 3 minutes are waiting in the wings for an assault of note in the Alps. The rest day serves well only to a few, some take at least 3 days to get back to the pain zone.

Tour is still wide open... and now I hear a team existing due to Covid or is that just what they want us to hear? Don't really trust the UCI anymore since Lance exposed there crooked ways...

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Listening to a few podcasts, I’m getting gatvol listening to these guys that expect riders to perform on every single stage and at every race. When they don’t perform, there must be something wrong.

Take Sagan as an example:

DNF - Strada Bianche

4th - Milano-Torino

4th - MSR

Exclude the big mountain days, when he finished with the Gruppetto, he’s finished: 5-108-5-125-4-111-13-140-164.

The 13th place included a chain problem.

Compare that to Bennett, Kristoff and Caleb:

4-168-2-169-3-169-114-164-153

1-137-15-158-14-147-152-110-123

19-173-1-166-8-153-163-165-126

Sagan has had 4 scoring positions at the finish, one more than the other.

For the points jersey classification after each stage, Sagan has been: 3-2-1-1-2-2-1-1-1

His team did what they needed to on stage 7... drop the sprinters to allow Sagan to get points. Does Sagan have to win every intermediate sprint, and does he need to win every finish? No, he just needs to capture more points than his rivals do, finish each stage and get to Paris. That doesn’t mean he needs to be in form.

Sure, he’s not dominant like he was a few seasons back - WvA is the current one dominating many events/stages.

Bernal

He doesn’t have as dominant a team as JV to help him win. I’m sure if Nic Portal (sp) was still here, he would have told Bernal to sit on the back of the JV train and use them as his team (in the mountains). Sure, it’s more difficult but it doesn’t mean Bernal is out of form. We just don’t know his team tactics - maybe they are saving themselves for week 3, and letting JV do all the work. Time will tell.

He knows what it takes to win the green jersey

I love this fan made montage..and it is a dig at all the critics [emoji6]

https://twitter.com/SwaganP/status/1302682540533264384?s=09

Edited by Gen

My tour views thus far:

Sagan is doing well... I mean that one mountain stage he was back collecting bottles and then his name appears in the top 20, I think thats super form to be able to do that! Just because his not done a stage win people are hating on the Green Jersey. Wanna really talk about jerseys? Well the K.O.M's is a word for concern, the guy can't crest Cat 1 climbs and finishes in 155th position, his not really doing the Poka Dot justice and I see a Columbian taking it to Paris.

This flat stage is going to be hard, so close to the coast, the winds will again break many legs and teams will need to protect GC contenders. The next heavy climbs only appear at Stage 15!

This tour is far from over, Guys at over 3 minutes are waiting in the wings for an assault of note in the Alps. The rest day serves well only to a few, some take at least 3 days to get back to the pain zone.

Tour is still wide open... and now I hear a team existing due to Covid or is that just what they want us to hear? Don't really trust the UCI anymore since Lance exposed there crooked ways...

I agree that the current holder of the Mailliot a Pois isn't a very good climber and it is quite likely that he'll lose it at some point. However I don't think that it'll be a Columbian that'll win it. Almost all of them are either going for GC or are working for a GC contender. Personally I quite fancy a French winner. Pinot needs to salvage his Tour ditto Alaphilipe. Don't be too surprised if one or even both of these gentlemen make a good go of it especially now that they are 100% out the GC race.

I agree that the current holder of the Mailliot a Pois isn't a very good climber and it is quite likely that he'll lose it at some point. However I don't think that it'll be a Columbian that'll win it. Almost all of them are either going for GC or are working for a GC contender. Personally I quite fancy a French winner. Pinot needs to salvage his Tour ditto Alaphilipe. Don't be too surprised if one or even both of these gentlemen make a good go of it especially now that they are 100% out the GC race.

Yeah the Polkadot jersey competition will heat up in a few days time..as it always does.. I don't know why there is so much concern about that.. Hell we have even seen Jens wearing the dotted shirt in the past.[emoji28]

Rest day:

The two Gen Z professionals in the bunch that were protagonists in week 1’s racing.

And the tranquillo roleur in Oss discussing brekkies:

Edited by 'Dale

Yeah the Polkadot jersey competition will heat up in a few days time..as it always does.. I don't know why there is so much concern about that.. Hell we have even seen Jens wearing the dotted shirt in the past.[emoji28]

As did Danny T when he was at MTN Qhubeka back in the day. That didn't last long but good memories from his time chasing the Dots. Another guy that could potentially launch a bid for the Polka Dots is Zakarin. The Polka Dot comp hasn't ignited yet, as you pointed out and it is something to look forward too when it does eventually. As for the concern; I think most people would like to see someone who can actually climb or is known to be a good climber winning it. I know I see it as comp for the Non GC contenders who climb well, like Zakarin. Perhaps others see it in a similar way/fashion?

Here's the link... https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/tour-de-france/why-are-jumbo-visma-using-unbranded-wheels-in-this-years-tour-de-france-466205

The article does state that JV are using Corima's and why, as well as why they have lack bikes with celeste-coloured decals compared to the normal celeste-coloured bikes.

So they are riding blank wheels to save 10grams, and their bikes are from 2016?

I thought all the top bikes were pretty much on 6.8kgs, especially for climbing stages

TV here are showing highlights of all the stages today. I've just come home to see Stage 7 (which I didn't see on the day) with 35km to go and they are flying! Very impressive :-)

Ok it looks like the average speed for this stage - Milau - Lavour - was 47.5km/h

Edited by Bonus

TV here are showing highlights of all the stages today. I've just come home to see Stage 7 (which I didn't see on the day) with 35km to go and they are flying! Very impressive :-)

Ok it looks like the average speed for this stage - Milau - Lavour - was 47.5km/h

Stahe 7 should be watched from km 0

So now we wait for the COVID report, teams were apparently requested not to release any info and let the UCI send the report out this morning [emoji102]

Any idea what the new rules are re positive tests. Is the 2 positives in the whole squad and you’re gone rule still in force ?

Any idea what the new rules are re positive tests. Is the 2 positives in the whole squad and you’re gone rule still in force ?

As far as I know yes[emoji2368]