2020 Tour de France

pista

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Only DNF today is Greipel....all other riders are in.

Probably by the skin of their teeth. It was 31mins when they crested the HC as far as I remember.

Probably by the skin of their teeth. It was 31mins when they crested the HC as far as I remember.

31 min down..

The art of beating the broom wagon

Edited by Gen

All that research that you did for the various fantasy leagues that was hosted here on the Hub proving incredibly insightful. Must've been something to get it all under the knee and to the point where you can share that knowledge like you have. Makes for interesting insights that we might not have had similar to John Wakefield's from inside the race itself.

I don't think I deserve to be placed alongside JW when it comes to knowledge of the Tour. I'm an outsider while he is there, in the bubble.

That said, the information is freely available to find, and obviously the more one experiences what goes on, the easier it is to find the information (when needed). So I guess the research bit comes naturally to me, and it's enjoyable (not in a nerdy way it must be said).

Anyway, here is what the rulebook states for reinstatement in the race, i.e. like missing the time cut:

Possible reinstatement

The commissaires’ jury may in exceptional cases allow one or several particularly unlucky riders to be reinstated in the race, after informing the race directors. In this case, the following factors will be taken into consideration:

• the average speed of the stage;
  • the point at which the incident or accident occurred;
  • the effort made by the delayed rider/riders;
  • possible blockage of the roads.

As these time limits are calculated based on the times recorded by the rider or team that has won the stage, disqualifications resulting from the decisions made by the commissaires’ jury and announced thereafter cannot subsequently make any rider at all eligible for reinstatement. In cases where riders who have finished outside the time limit are reinstated by the president of the commissaires’ jury, they will forfeit all of the points they have gained in the various secondary classifications.

3 days left then we look forward to the rest of a jam packed few months.

Some riders on a podcasts were asked, "Do the Tour de France or the Classics season. You can only do one? Which do you choose, or which is more important to you?"

In this case, 2020 Giro or the cobbled Classics... you can only watch one at a time - which do you choose?

I'll go first, my answer:

I'd go for the Classics, even through the Giro is the best GT of the year. The Giro has 21 stages and PR or RVV is only one day. That said, the Giro ends on the same day as PR.

Some riders on a podcasts were asked, "Do the Tour de France or the Classics season. You can only do one? Which do you choose, or which is more important to you?"

In this case, 2020 Giro or the cobbled Classics... you can only watch one at a time - which do you choose?

I'll go first, my answer:

I'd go for the Classics, even through the Giro is the best GT of the year. The Giro has 21 stages and PR or RVV is only one day. That said, the Giro ends on the same day as PR.

Some serious multitasking for us viewers.

I don't think I deserve to be placed alongside JW when it comes to knowledge of the Tour. I'm an outsider while he is there, in the bubble.

That said, the information is freely available to find, and obviously the more one experiences what goes on, the easier it is to find the information (when needed). So I guess the research bit comes naturally to me, and it's enjoyable (not in a nerdy way it must be said).

Anyway, here is what the rulebook states for reinstatement in the race, i.e. like missing the time cut:

Possible reinstatement

The commissaires’ jury may in exceptional cases allow one or several particularly unlucky riders to be reinstated in the race, after informing the race directors. In this case, the following factors will be taken into consideration:

• the average speed of the stage;
  • the point at which the incident or accident occurred;
  • the effort made by the delayed rider/riders;
  • possible blockage of the roads.

As these time limits are calculated based on the times recorded by the rider or team that has won the stage, disqualifications resulting from the decisions made by the commissaires’ jury and announced thereafter cannot subsequently make any rider at all eligible for reinstatement. In cases where riders who have finished outside the time limit are reinstated by the president of the commissaires’ jury, they will forfeit all of the points they have gained in the various secondary classifications.

That doesn't mean that what you share doesn't add to the enjoyment of following and discussing the Tour and the various incidents that crop up with everyone here. Just to use the win ratio by graph that you shared as an example or the above wrt the riders being over the time limit and the considerations regarding reinstatement. Both give an idea of what to expect in two contrasting situations. The former would probably be something to consider with tomorrow's expected sprint finish. It also gives the points jersey competition an interesting perspective to go along with the entertainment that we've had with that. I also find the underlined bit fairly interesting as it shows that the UCI can on occasion actually make rules that are both sensible and fair. 

1. Did you seriously just ask the TDF for their source?

2. This is going to be an interesting dynamic at the ITT. I forgot that there will be KOM points for the climb section.

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Seems like 2020 has gotten the better of poor old Mihai Simion!!!!!!!