2020 Tour de France

pista

Hard to calculate that would depend on the stadium sizes ... some are bigger than others a typical world cup stadium can host anything from 40-80k

Then you have the Bernabéu and Camp Nou that seats 80k and 90k FNB stadium also holds something like 90k..

But yeah a lot of people flock to the road to see riders come past esp because it is free.

They estimate 3.4-4.8 million live spectators over three days at the start of the TDF in 2014. How many stadiums is that?

The report estimates that the roadside numbers totaled 4.8 million, however the figure was closer to 3.5 million after taking into account people who watched more than one stage. The large bulk of the spectators came in the opening two days in Yorkshire, where it is estimated that 2.3 million watched the race go by – around 1 in 4 are thought to have seen the race.

This year’s Tour de France Grand Départ saw 3.5 million people lining the roadside to watch the race and brought in £128 million for the UK, according to a report issued by Welcome Yorkshire.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/2014-tour-de-france-grand-depart-watched-by-3-5-million-spectators/

They regularly estimate over a million spectators live on the Alpe D' Huez stage.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding the podium ceremony in Paris. I see most tv coverage only showed the winners on the podium with their masks on? I know they had photos etc without masks but why not let them do the whole ceremony without masks? Pathetic really. A special moment in their careers and they're pictured with a mask on. What a joke. And not a funny one.

That statement by Sean Kelly makes no sense unless you know the context. Kelly was talking in reference to the stress the top guys and their families experience during a race like the TdF especially if they're close to winning a classification.

Bit of a difference between him and the eNCA reporter.

Sorry, I'm not sure what you are trying to explain? It's pretty obvious she was sitting in front of the TV with her nerves buggered for the sake of her son's performance. Not related to the eNCA report at all in any way. 

Kelly thought it was the quote of the tour and I think it's very funny. That's it really.

Edited by Blokman

Then the FWC will be pretty small because none have run at a profit in recent times as far as I know. The event always runs at a loss to the hosting country. FIFA makes a tidy packet.

Le tour is a positive revenue spinner for all involved whic is why towns and cities fall over backwards to have a stage go through or host for a night, especially the smaller towns.

There's many ways to look at "Bigger"...

- viewership

- spectators

- geography covered

- revenue, profit direct and indirect economic benefits

But we're cyclists so we just ride with the LeTour being the biggest because...#SOEMA

Lol I didn't say profit made I said TV revenue generated

Last I checked FIFA make in the region of $3.5b from World Cup TV revenue.

And no, few people but the organisers/governing bodies actually make profit from events be it cycling or football

events, Bregen(?) still haven't broken even after hosting the World Champs .. host towns pay a lot for the privilege to have the tour stop by them and yes businesses in the town profit from the tour stopping by same as the World cup... And the poor cycling teams don't make money fom just being at the TDF where as the football nations get a handy sum for just being at the World cup ($8m in 2018 for just rocking up) never mind winning the whole thing..

Team UAE got +- €600K for winning the TDF, FIFA had a prize money pot of $ 400m for the 2018 world cup, France got $38m for winning the world cup..Croatia who were runners up got $28m. They reckon about 2.3m foreigners travelled to Russia for the 2018 world cup spending €1.5B that's only foreign tourists... sure a lot of people travel to France for the TDF as well esp after seeing 3 week long travel advertising campaign no doubt about that.

The money side of things is heavily lopsided, which is why cycling teams fold and football clubs just get wealthier[emoji17]

Edited by Gen

Always heard that the Tour has the most or close to the most spectators compared to any other sporting event (Summer Olympics being the other option). Not talking about tv viewers but actual folk on the side of the road spectating.

It's free to stand next to the road [emoji106]

Sorry, I'm not sure what you are trying to explain? It's pretty obvious she was sitting in front of the TV with her nerves buggered for the sake of her son's performance. Not related to the eNCA report at all in any way.

Kelly thought it was the quote of the tour and I think it's very funny. That's it really.

Sorry I thought that your comment was alluding to her as well. Got my wires crossed.

They estimate 3.4-4.8 million live spectators over three days at the start of the TDF in 2014. How many stadiums is that?

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/2014-tour-de-france-grand-depart-watched-by-3-5-million-spectators/

They regularly estimate over a million spectators live on the Alpe D' Huez stage.

Yorkshire was quite a sight and something not seen since really

Not sure about those Alpe D' Huez figures of yours, I could find numbers of expected +- 400k which is stil a hell of a lot on a mountain but that's normally only on that specific mountain that we see those numbers.. though I don't know how they would actually really know how many are there.. and its a crazy sight for sure but we don't see that kind of attendance on every climb or every stage but we see full stadiums at the World Cup...if they build it the football fans will pay and fill it no matter the size of the stadium.

On the economic side, I did post some figures on a previous post.

Edited by Gen

I think they were trying to help the riders find some form :whistling: 

velonews.com report says NQ is working with the authorities to sort out the mess. The report on the raid is very sketchy but it appears one of the team doctors and seigneur were arrested.

Highly conceivable that the meds found were related to the injuries the riders sustained in the first week. Saline drips are not uncommon in administering paracetamol to help fight off infection. The three riders implicated were all involved in some skin tax during the first few stages.

More likely that the doctor didn't obtain the meds via the right channels and of course if a needle was used i.e. for the the drip.

This is probably going to end up being a storm in a tea cup

Yorkshire was quite a sight and something not seen since really

Not sure about those Alpe D' Huez figures of yours, I could find numbers of expected +- 400k which is stil a hell of a lot on a mountain but that's normally only on that specific mountain that we see those numbers.. though I don't know how they would actually really know how many are there.. and its a crazy sight for sure but we don't see that kind of attendance on every climb or every stage but we see full stadiums at the World Cup...if they build it the football fans will pay and fill it no matter the size of the stadium.

On the economic side, I did post some figures on a previous post.

There were flat stages in Holland in the early 2000's that had over a million.

I don't think anyone has figures, but go look at Chiappucci on the road to Sestriere, it's definitely not just a phenomenon on one single mountain.

There were flat stages in Holland in the early 2000's that had over a million.

I don't think anyone has figures, but go look at Chiappucci on the road to Sestriere, it's definitely not just a phenomenon on one single mountain.

you just mentioned climbs earlier... and compared attendance on a climb to a week of stadium attendance.[emoji111]

Yes no doubt the people flock to the roads ..if they can get there they will be there.. its free and draws a lot of people because you can fit a damn lot of people next to the road for a stages that are over 100km....it's a lot of road side that can be filled[emoji1787]...

you just mentioned climbs earlier... and compared attendance on a climb to a week of stadium attendance.[emoji111]

My response was to your suggestion that Yorkshire was unique, and that Alpe D' Huez was similarly unique. I was trying to point out that they are not that singular.

My response was to your suggestion that Yorkshire was unique, and that Alpe D' Huez was similarly unique. I was trying to point out that they are not that singular.

Okay

And I tried to point out that stadiums are filled...WC, CL, Olympics etc etc.[emoji1787]

There is a reason why the TDF is scheduled not to overlap with the Olympics and often like in 2018 as example rescheduled to reduce overlapping with the World Cup.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/tour-de-france/2018-tour-de-france-rescheduled-avoid-clash-football-world-cup-336787/amp

FIFA or the Olympic committee do not take the TDF dates into consideration when scheduling their events.

Edited by Gen