2020 Tour de France

pista

Wow, I didn't expect that many viewers, guess 3 weeks is a long time and it all add up ...

I'd take those figures with a pinch of salt and you would nee to read the disclaimers on the actual numbers.

I think someone did a fact check on these kinds of statements a while back and the actual numbers vary dramatically from event to event and year to year.

I'd think a tight GC contest with an underdog doing well, like JA in 2019, will pull in more numbers than a domination by Sky.

I just wanted to point out that there are confusing pieces of information out on the interwebs, so s14pheonix shouldn't cop too much flak.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why got raiding 15th place on the GC, 

Because in most European countries, doping constitutes a criminal offence under their sporting fraud statutes. It's not simply a sports governing body issue.

Because in most European countries, doping constitutes a criminal offence under their sporting fraud statutes. It's not simply a sports governing body issue.

Agreed, but if I was inspector Clouseau I would hedge my bets raiding a team thats on the podium than a team thats no where. Maybe they went on a tip off and not on probability. 

I'd take those figures with a pinch of salt and you would nee to read the disclaimers on the actual numbers.

I think someone did a fact check on these kinds of statements a while back and the actual numbers vary dramatically from event to event and year to year.

I'd think a tight GC contest with an underdog doing well, like JA in 2019, will pull in more numbers than a domination by Sky.

I just wanted to point out that there are confusing pieces of information out on the interwebs, so s14pheonix shouldn't cop too much flak.

Yeah like what would classify as actually watching it.. someone could be channel hopping and change after 1 min of seeing guys pedal [emoji2368]

Agreed, but if I was inspector Clouseau I would hedge my bets raiding a team thats on the podium than a team thats no where. Maybe they went on a tip off and not on probability. 

I would have assumed they did act on some intelligence. It doesn't appear that this was random.

I think all the numbers are hard to quantify, comparing 90 min matches to 6 hours stages etc etc.

Yeah and not everyone watches every minute of a football game or TDF stage.

Revenue generated from TV rights for the events will probably give a clearer picture of which is the bigger event.[emoji2368]

Revenue generated from TV rights for the events will probably give a clearer picture of which is the bigger event.[emoji2368]

How about live spectators at the event? I mean not during the crackdown this year, but a normal year? With no ticket/stadium sales how do you quantify that? I'd guess that for a typical mountain stage at the Tour, you'll have as many live spectators on the side of the road as a weeks worth of stadium football matches.

How about live spectators at the event? I mean not during the crackdown this year, but a normal year? With no ticket/stadium sales how do you quantify that? I'd guess that for a typical mountain stage at the Tour, you'll have as many live spectators on the side of the road as a weeks worth of stadium football matches.

Hard to calculate that would depend on the stadium sizes ... some are bigger than others a typical world cup stadium can host anything from 40-80k

Then you have the Bernabéu and Camp Nou that seats 80k and 90k FNB stadium also holds something like 90k..

But yeah a lot of people flock to the road to see riders come past esp because it is free.

Then the FWC will be pretty small because none have run at a profit in recent times as far as I know. The event always runs at a loss to the hosting country. FIFA makes a tidy packet.

Le tour is a positive revenue spinner for all involved whic is why towns and cities fall over backwards to have a stage go through or host for a night, especially the smaller towns.

There's many ways to look at "Bigger"...

- viewership

- spectators

- geography covered

- revenue, profit direct and indirect economic benefits

But we're cyclists so we just ride with the LeTour being the biggest because...#SOEMA

A bit further down in that thread somebody quoted Sean Kelly on Eurosport : " Sammy B's mom messaged me before the intermediate sprint , saying she had an easier time in labour than she's having now."

That statement by Sean Kelly makes no sense unless you know the context. Kelly was talking in reference to the stress the top guys and their families experience during a race like the TdF especially if they're close to winning a classification.

Bit of a difference between him and the eNCA reporter.

Then the FWC will be pretty small because none have run at a profit in recent times as far as I know. The event always runs at a loss to the hosting country. FIFA makes a tidy packet.

Le tour is a positive revenue spinner for all involved whic is why towns and cities fall over backwards to have a stage go through or host for a night, especially the smaller towns.

There's many ways to look at "Bigger"...

- viewership

- spectators

- geography covered

- revenue, profit direct and indirect economic benefits

But we're cyclists so we just ride with the LeTour being the biggest because...#SOEMA

Always heard that the Tour has the most or close to the most spectators compared to any other sporting event (Summer Olympics being the other option). Not talking about tv viewers but actual folk on the side of the road spectating.