2020 Tour de France

pista

Hi All

Hope everyone is good and I thought I would do a post now that the madness has come to an end. Firstly to those who have sent messages to me on here and off during or after the Tour I really do appreciate it. To those who gave me ***, I also appreciate it. 

1 question I keep getting posed to me is the strength of the team, I would like to give some info on this and now that is it over what the game plan was.

We lost Formolo very early due to a broken collarbone, he is a key domestqiue in the mountains.

We lost De La Cruz on day 1 with a broken sacrum. He is a vital key domestique in the mountains. Due to that injury, if he can maintain the pain threshold for a while it does improve and should be able to fire in the 3rd week. We made sure all we could do was done to help him get to this point.

We lost Aru. Who could of been a vital domestique in the mountains. 

We were left with Polanc who filled all those riders rolls above for 2.5 weeks. I dont think you understand how that guy delivered in the mountains. Ive never seen a guy ride like this over 3 weeks.

We then told Laengen to transform into a medium mountains domestique over night. He did that, he was incredible. I have never seen someone his size climb like that.

Marcato - team captain - now turned med mountain domestique and the guy who nose was in the wind on the flat 24/7. That is one hell of a job.

Kristoff - no sprinting ambitions only look after Tadej on the flats. Kristoff is Kristoff one hell of a professional and great human. 

That is what we were up against on JV.

I monitored athletes data every night and corresponded with medical and this was then presented to the Head DS. We would either rest a rider the following day or 2 so we could use him on day 3 for example by making sure they rode "easy" typically in the groupetto. We kept this up the whole Tour. Or the job was to drop Tadej off at a certain point where we knew he would be ok to surf and the rider then rode him easy to recover. 

It worked and De la Cruz came right in week 3. With him and Polanc now good, we knew we could not take on JV man on man but we knew we could disrupt their train. We did that and often isolated Roglic with 1 helper. 

Plan was to take yellow on the Thursday if possible or the TT so we did not have to defend it with the team as we were men down. The night before the TT there was a discussion with Tadej as he wanted info for the next day vs what we did at the recon. I was doing this at 11pm and with DS it was set out.

The rest as you know.

So was the team the strongest? No, was the team strong and a set plan set out and stuck to with what we had available?? Yes. 

Did we know Tadej was going to blow **** up? Yes, that's Tadej being Tadej.

Job well done

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All

Hope everyone is good and I thought I would do a post now that the madness has come to an end. Firstly to those who have sent messages to me on here and off during or after the Tour I really do appreciate it. To those who gave me ***, I also appreciate it.

1 question I keep getting posed to me is the strength of the team, I would like to give some info on this and now that is it over what the game plan was.

We lost Formolo very early due to a broken collarbone, he is a key domestqiue in the mountains.

We lost De La Cruz on day 1 with a broken sacrum. He is a vital key domestique in the mountains. Due to that injury, if he can maintain the pain threshold for a while it does improve and should be able to fire in the 3rd week. We made sure all we could do was done to help him get to this point.

We were left with Polanc who filled all those riders rolls above for 2.5 weeks. I dont think you understand how that guy delivered in the mountains. Ive never seen a guy ride like this over 3 weeks.

We then told Laengen to transform into a medium mountains domestique over night. He did that, he was incredible. I have never seen someone his size climb like that.

Marcato - team captain - now turned med mountain domestique and the guy who nose was in the wind on the flat 24/7. That is one hell of a job.

Kristoff - no sprinting ambitions only look after Tadej on the flats. Kristoff is Kristoff one hell of a professional and great human.

I monitored athletes data every night and corresponded with medical and this was then presented to the Head DS. We would either rest a rider the following day or 2 so we could use him on day 3 for example by making sure they rode "easy" typically in the groupetto. We kept this up the whole Tour. Or the job was to drop Tadej off at a certain point where we knew he would be ok to surf and the rider then rode him easy to recover.

It worked and De la Cruz came right in week 3. With him and Polanc now good, we knew we could not take on JV man on man but we knew we could disrupt their train. We did that and often isolated Roglic with 1 helper.

Plan was to take yellow on the Thursday if possible or the TT so we did not have to defend it with the team as we were men down. The night before the TT there was a discussion with Tadej as he wanted info for the next day vs what we did at the recon. I was doing this at 11pm and with DS it was set out.

The rest as you know.

So was the team the strongest? No, was the team strong and a set plan set out and stuck to with what we had available?? Yes.

John that yellow bicycle is too small for me - I need a 57/57

Hi All

The rest as you know.

That party must have been great

A small highlight for me was watching Tadej being asked if he was going to do a bike change and thinking “I know he is”

Really awesome result and he seems a nice humble guy who immediately thanked the team

John - Did you guys have an estimate of how much time you could pull back on Roglic in ITT, was it like, hmmm maybe 60 seconds or was it like, hmmm 90 seconds should be do able. 

Must be funny knowing form etc and being asked questions by the media and acting unsure not trying to give too much away!

Hi All

The rest as you know.

Congrats to the team for the incredible result - nice to get some “inside” info from the Tour.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.bicycling.co.za/training/train-smart-like-a-pro/amp/&ved=2ahUKEwjYi6vtmv3rAhXHTsAKHVQDASwQFjABegQIBhAB&usg=AOvVaw1bmqSvXALinjNymJWjWrYw&ampcf=1

I have this magazine :)

Super happy for John with their Tour results. The stuff dreams are made off :)

John thank you for all your input. Certainly was a very nice perspective into the Tour

Edited by ChrisF

Hi All

The rest as you know.

Well done 

Once again, thank you to UAE team Emirates for making this a tour to remember. Thanks to you John and Jeroen for the updates here and on other platforms. Its great to see SA be part of the success story. And in this case an underdog story.

Oh ya before I forget I ride a 51 or 53, as long as the reach isn't longer than 385mm neh nudge nudge wink wink and I'll not fussy, yellow is kief :)

Once again, thank you to UAE team Emirates for making this a tour to remember. Thanks to you John and Jeroen for the updates here and on other platforms. Its great to see SA be part of the success story. And in this case an underdog story.

Oh ya before I forget I ride a 51 or 53, as long as the reach isn't longer than 385mm neh nudge nudge wink wink and I'll not fussy, yellow is kief :)

Look at you being so oulik today! Sho!! Spring Equinox and all :)

Look at you being so oulik today! Sho!! Spring Equinox and all :)

sitting on a high after calling the win correctly. I expected it to be closer but in the end the tactics and the commitment produced a just reward

Hi All

The rest as you know.

Well done John to you and your rodents. Your young rodent is going to go far, hope he stays injury free. You guys going to have to pay that rodent a lot to keep him.

Thanks for all the updates.

Well done to everyone on the team, I was really bleak when Formolo was out so early. 

I think there is a lot that the TV coverage misses in the stage, often you see the bumble bees on the front etc near the end of stage, nobodies sees the hours put in closing gaps and looking after the leader before the last few KM. 

Love a great under dog victory!!  Congrats

Correct, there many many riders who go completely unnoticed that work their asses off. We joked that Laengen did 50km extra every day coming back for bottles.

John - Did you guys have an estimate of how much time you could pull back on Roglic in ITT, was it like, hmmm maybe 60 seconds or was it like, hmmm 90 seconds should be do able. 

Must be funny knowing form etc and being asked questions by the media and acting unsure not trying to give too much away!

We had a time and value that we believed would be competitive - however on the day during the moment anything can happen as you saw with Roglic and Lopez. 

I will say that as happy as I was for Tadej, IU was really gutted for Roglic, he is a very good person and was hard to watch those emotions. Shows that under it all, they all humans.