2020 Tour de France

pista

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

velonews.com report says NQ is working with the authorities to sort out the mess. The report on the raid is very sketchy but it appears one of the team doctors and seigneur were arrested.

Highly conceivable that the meds found were related to the injuries the riders sustained in the first week. Saline drips are not uncommon in administering paracetamol to help fight off infection. The three riders implicated were all involved in some skin tax during the first few stages.

More likely that the doctor didn't obtain the meds via the right channels and of course if a needle was used i.e. for the the drip.

This is probably going to end up being a storm in a tea cup

drips are banned. Edited by Gen

drips are banned.

yes I am well aware of this hence there is reference to "doping methods" in the article. But if its the only treatment available then the team doctor is faced with  uncomfortable choices

I have worked at both. A few Tours and some Football world cups... and some Olympics, Commonwealth games, Cricket world cups, Rugby world cups..... Champions league finals.... Lots of tennis etc...

There is a very different viewership and fan base at all of them.

The Olympics is massive. The scope of the venues, the work force, the money spent and time planned is second to none. What goes into that I don't think too many people can comprehend unless thay have been a part of the planning, costing and build phase.

The Football WC is a close second. I think one of the big things is that for the FWC people travel from all over the world and many stay for the entire duration of the cup. The tour crowds are often 'local' travelers who come across for one day a week to set up Dutch corner etc... then go home the same or the next day.

The TDF also has way less outlay. The scope of work is tiny and most of the broadcasting and broadcast equipment is mobile. Basically a massively air conditioned truck or 5 kitted out with editing booths and sound equipment. At the FWC and Olympics semi permanent broadcasting compounds are built at each venue. These need to be powered by massive aggreko silent generators as they would pull too much power from the local grid... hahaha

So TDF possibly IS the most viewed event, but I think the Olympics and FWC are 'Bigger'... I don't think I am articulating this vey well. Sorry

Anyway, the Champions League final is probably the 'Biggest' sporting event in terms of time played vs viewers, scope of work and size of the party..... What goes into that 1 single football match is crazy. Truly crazy. I think it was 2010 we actually enclosed all the streets within a 2km radius of the Bernabau in Madrid and turned it into 1 massive beer tent.

Edited by Jewbacca

But yeah a lot of people flock to the road to see riders come past esp because it is free.

True, but not just that, but also because it is a big deal for the towns it passes through, particularly the ones where it is not an annual occasion.

I have worked at both. A few Tours and some Football world cups... and some Olympics, Commonwealth games, Cricket world cups, Rugby world cups..... Champions league finals.... Lots of tennis etc...

There is a very different viewership and fan base at all of them.

The Olympics is massive. The scope of the venues, the work force, the money spent and time planned is second to none. What goes into that I don't think too many people can comprehend unless thay have been a part of the planning, costing and build phase.

The Football WC is a close second. I think one of the big things is that for the FWC people travel from all over the world and many stay for the entire duration of the cup. The tour crowds are often 'local' travelers who come across for one day a week to set up Dutch corner etc... then go home the same or the next day.

The TDF also has way less outlay. The scope of work is tiny and most of the broadcasting and broadcast equipment is mobile. Basically a massively air conditioned truck or 5 kitted out with editing booths and sound equipment. At the FWC and Olympics semi permanent broadcasting compounds are built at each venue. These need to be powered by massive aggreko silent generators as they would pull too much power from the local grid... hahaha

So TDF possibly IS the most viewed event, but I think the Olympics and FWC are 'Bigger'... I don't think I am articulating this vey well. Sorry

Anyway, the Champions League final is probably the 'Biggest' sporting event in terms of time played vs viewers, scope of work and size of the party..... What goes into that 1 single football match is crazy. Truly crazy. I think it was 2010 we actually enclosed all the streets within a 2km radius of the Bernabau in Madrid and turned it into 1 massive beer tent.

Football has an incredible global reach..suppose it's why they get the big bucks

This year's CL final between Bayern and PSG was viewed by 380m people on all legal platforms. The only other once off annual sporting event that sees those numbers is the Super Bowl and that was apparently 100m people. I don't know which is the most viewed TDF stage.

Edited by Gen

Hi All

Hope everyone is good and I thought I would do a post now that the madness has come to an end. Firstly to those who have sent messages to me on here and off during or after the Tour I really do appreciate it. To those who gave me ***, I also appreciate it. 

1 question I keep getting posed to me is the strength of the team, I would like to give some info on this and now that is it over what the game plan was.

We lost Formolo very early due to a broken collarbone, he is a key domestqiue in the mountains.

We lost De La Cruz on day 1 with a broken sacrum. He is a vital key domestique in the mountains. Due to that injury, if he can maintain the pain threshold for a while it does improve and should be able to fire in the 3rd week. We made sure all we could do was done to help him get to this point.

We lost Aru. Who could of been a vital domestique in the mountains. 

We were left with Polanc who filled all those riders rolls above for 2.5 weeks. I dont think you understand how that guy delivered in the mountains. Ive never seen a guy ride like this over 3 weeks.

We then told Laengen to transform into a medium mountains domestique over night. He did that, he was incredible. I have never seen someone his size climb like that.

Marcato - team captain - now turned med mountain domestique and the guy who nose was in the wind on the flat 24/7. That is one hell of a job.

Kristoff - no sprinting ambitions only look after Tadej on the flats. Kristoff is Kristoff one hell of a professional and great human. 

That is what we were up against on JV.

I monitored athletes data every night and corresponded with medical and this was then presented to the Head DS. We would either rest a rider the following day or 2 so we could use him on day 3 for example by making sure they rode "easy" typically in the groupetto. We kept this up the whole Tour. Or the job was to drop Tadej off at a certain point where we knew he would be ok to surf and the rider then rode him easy to recover. 

It worked and De la Cruz came right in week 3. With him and Polanc now good, we knew we could not take on JV man on man but we knew we could disrupt their train. We did that and often isolated Roglic with 1 helper. 

Plan was to take yellow on the Thursday if possible or the TT so we did not have to defend it with the team as we were men down. The night before the TT there was a discussion with Tadej as he wanted info for the next day vs what we did at the recon. I was doing this at 11pm and with DS it was set out.

The rest as you know.

So was the team the strongest? No, was the team strong and a set plan set out and stuck to with what we had available?? Yes. 

Did we know Tadej was going to blow **** up? Yes, that's Tadej being Tadej.

True, but not just that, but also because it is a big deal for the towns it passes through, particularly the ones where it is not an annual occasion.

this is true, many towns had big signs saying thank you to the Tour. 

Hi All

Hope everyone is good and I thought I would do a post now that the madness has come to an end. Firstly to those who have sent messages to me on here and off during or after the Tour I really do appreciate it. To those who gave me ***, I also appreciate it. 

1 question I keep getting posed to me is the strength of the team, I would like to give some info on this and now that is it over what the game plan was.

We lost Formolo very early due to a broken collarbone, he is a key domestqiue in the mountains.

We lost De La Cruz on day 1 with a broken sacrum. He is a vital key domestique in the mountains. Due to that injury, if he can maintain the pain threshold for a while it does improve and should be able to fire in the 3rd week. We made sure all we could do was done to help him get to this point.

We were left with Polanc who filled all those riders rolls above for 2.5 weeks. I dont think you understand how that guy delivered in the mountains. Ive never seen a guy ride like this over 3 weeks.

We then told Laengen to transform into a medium mountains domestique over night. He did that, he was incredible. I have never seen someone his size climb like that.

Marcato - team captain - now turned med mountain domestique and the guy who nose was in the wind on the flat 24/7. That is one hell of a job.

Kristoff - no sprinting ambitions only look after Tadej on the flats. Kristoff is Kristoff one hell of a professional and great human. 

I monitored athletes data every night and corresponded with medical and this was then presented to the Head DS. We would either rest a rider the following day or 2 so we could use him on day 3 for example by making sure they rode "easy" typically in the groupetto. We kept this up the whole Tour. Or the job was to drop Tadej off at a certain point where we knew he would be ok to surf and the rider then rode him easy to recover. 

It worked and De la Cruz came right in week 3. With him and Polanc now good, we knew we could not take on JV man on man but we knew we could disrupt their train. We did that and often isolated Roglic with 1 helper. 

Plan was to take yellow on the Thursday if possible or the TT so we did not have to defend it with the team as we were men down. The night before the TT there was a discussion with Tadej as he wanted info for the next day vs what we did at the recon. I was doing this at 11pm and with DS it was set out.

The rest as you know.

So was the team the strongest? No, was the team strong and a set plan set out and stuck to with what we had available?? Yes. 

Thanks for the insight.

Sooooooo chuffed for you guys! All of you! The riders, the support staff, families, everyone.

Well done.

Hi All

The rest as you know.

Well done on managing it all [emoji106]

<snip>

well done man. In terms of sporting achievements, it was one of those things that happen once in 100yrs - sort of like scoring 200 in a T20, or going an entire season unbeaten... This was remarkable. Well done!!

Hi All

The rest as you know.

Hi John

Thank you for insights from within the team and the perspective on the race. I think we all value them!

Congratulations on Tadej's success and that of your team (including you of course) in support of him! Genuinely pleased for you guys and I hope that this is truly the first of many such wins for him and the team!

Have you never had 1000mg of paracetamol via drip? Its mixed in saline solution to get it into your body.

Yeah, I was questioning the "to fight off infection" part.

Edited by TNT1

Hi All

The rest as you know.

Well done to everyone on the team, I was really bleak when Formolo was out so early. 

I think there is a lot that the TV coverage misses in the stage, often you see the bumble bees on the front etc near the end of stage, nobodies sees the hours put in closing gaps and looking after the leader before the last few KM. 

Love a great under dog victory!!  Congrats