Throwback Thursday...... When We Were Young

Bonus

1985 CIK All Africa GP.

SA colours on the lid.

The field included Heinz Harald Frentzen, Jason Plato and Patrick Egl (who won if memory serves), some other wonderkid europeans, plus some fast locals, Derrick Irving etc.

I qualified mid field after seizing my No1 motor in qualy. Made a good start, making up a few places around the top hairpin (local knowledge). Got caught in a first lap pile up, which left me unable to depress neither brake nor throttle fully.

I carried on, got lapped by the winner and finished 12th from 30 odd starters. I found out the day after, when I couldn't stand up that I'd cracked both ankles in a few places too.

The first pic is on the grid before one of the practice sessions, the second one is the damage from the race.

But like Mr WrightJnr above, my stand out memories are of my Dad (also an ex racer), always being there, always tuning, always helping and encouraging. That's what is really special.

post-53895-0-37817900-1587645165_thumb.jpg

post-53895-0-91687200-1587645174_thumb.jpg

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ff04034b5ef98fbb37e4ddf6f7450209.jpg

#53 in the kart. My old man sitting on the armco next to me. Probably telling me “just give it 100% and I’ll be happy no matter the result”. Turns out over the years my 100% went from the back of the field to mixing it up mid field to ultimately MSA National colours. And he never asked for more or less. I’m grateful for my pops and that he’s still around for my kids. I’m around his age in the picture now. This picture reminded me to up my parenting game, standards have been set high!!

Nice! Inspired me to post mine. Great times.

Check the cables!

"You could have someones eye out!"

:-)

Edit: Remember "Friction" gear levers too . . . .  :thumbup:

Yeah, those cables, looks hideous!!

Friction was cool, the brain is the ultimate trimming tool!!  Quite easy with an 8 block cassette.

• 8 months later...
Going through some of my old cycling photos and I came across these two from the 2004 Tour de France.
I managed to just about squeeze Mario "Super Mario" Cipollini into a photo I took of riders warming up for the Prologue Stage in Liège (Belgium) and a couple of days later George Hincapie after he'd been chatting to the team bike mechs - taken after the Stage 4 Team Time Trial (Cambrai to Arras)(France) on 7th July.

Happy days . . . .

post-4874-0-43795400-1609945513_thumb.jpg

post-4874-0-62603300-1609945524_thumb.jpg

1985 CIK All Africa GP.

SA colours on the lid.

The field included Heinz Harald Frentzen, Jason Plato and Patrick Egl (who won if memory serves), some other wonderkid europeans, plus some fast locals, Derrick Irving etc.

I qualified mid field after seizing my No1 motor in qualy. Made a good start, making up a few places around the top hairpin (local knowledge). Got caught in a first lap pile up, which left me unable to depress neither brake nor throttle fully.

I carried on, got lapped by the winner and finished 12th from 30 odd starters. I found out the day after, when I couldn't stand up that I'd cracked both ankles in a few places too.

The first pic is on the grid before one of the practice sessions, the second one is the damage from the race.

But like Mr WrightJnr above, my stand out memories are of my Dad (also an ex racer), always being there, always tuning, always helping and encouraging. That's what is really special.

There is now a nice track that opened in Benoni, Formula K, had a blast there in December.