Rockshox Reba

IcemanGP

New lowers come with new bushes installed

And Rockshox fork bushes can't be replaced (or at least aren't available anywhere in the world)

The bushes are an SKF manufactured item. You're right the new lowers do come with bushes pre installed and new torque nuts and wiper seals with foam rings. All this makes the reassembly easier because fitting bushes can be tricky. Getting them out can be even trickier!!

got that t-shirt

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The bushes are an SKF manufactured item. You're right the new lowers do come with bushes pre installed and new torque nuts and wiper seals with foam rings. All this makes the reassembly easier because fitting bushes can be tricky. Getting them out can be even trickier!!

got that t-shirt

Okay

Can you afford to go buy your bike for its retail value tomorrow if it got stolen today?

I don't know how in today's climate people can afford to not insure their bikes?

It is insured under my household contents under the value of belongings in my house, but that is completely different than specifying it for when you crash etc.

IcemanGP remember what I asked back in the day when the original post came out? Look at the below and then see the "bold" section. 

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/182206-i-feel-bad-asking/?do=findComment&comment=3504991

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/183203-eish-need-some-advice/page-1

Posted 21 May 2019 - 11:36

I have a glaring question here: Have you confirmed that the rest of the bike is not damaged? The image of a botched repair job on a taxi comes to mind - those taxis that look like they were a crab in their previous lives   :D

I'm not trying to dis your bike, I'm just thinking that there may be something else wrong with the bike on top of the obvious - the wheel.

My advice: Yes I know finances are tight and that's it is easier said than done, but, it is time to get a new steed in the stables - it does not have to be a brand new bike, just something that was not in a collision  

What size (26 / 29) and year model is that?

26" Rockshox Reba RL ... have had this bike close on 8 years now.

Thanks for the advice, ... finances are tighter than a nuns purse, so as much as wanting or needing a "New Steed" is out of the question. I do not think that the "Vehicle incident" cause this, as I did have a very violent twist when going over the obstacle with a flat tyre, plus my body weight adds some forces to the mix.

And to think that I have the both the 947 55k MTB and road coming up (PS, I did not pay for these races)

I am one of those chaps that have to make a plan, and make do with what I have.

Thanks for the kind words though.

Regards

JD

Edited by IcemanGP

Thanks for the advice, ... finances are tighter than a nuns purse, so as much as wanting or needing a "New Steed" is out of the question. I do not think that the "Vehicle incident" cause this, as I did have a very violent twist when going over the obstacle with a flat tyre, plus my body weight adds some forces to the mix.

And to think that I have the both the 947 55k MTB and road coming up (PS, I did not pay for these races)

Regards

JD

There are a number of 26er forks in the classifieds for 2k or under. I doubt any plan you make will be as good and in the same ball park figure.

Good luck!

Regards

JD

I know of a used SID for sale, 26" straight steerer. It's on its way to JHB tonight. PM me and I'll put you in touch with the seller.

Sunday while riding I had a terrible squeak, and discovered the main Pivot Bearing shot, so I have managed to buy some replacements from a car spares place, regreased them and popped them in. But while fitting everything back together I came across the front Brace (Arch) of forks snapped. (Must have happened when I went down an obstacle and the front tyre went pap, had to bail)

Anyway, is it just possible to get this welded up again from an aluminum welder? ... I cannot afford a whole new shock, I did browse the classifieds and almost died.

Thanks for any input.

Regards

JD

What wheel size does the fork take? If it's a 26"I have a set of lowers that may work.

If these look like they will work, you're welcome to take them for R200

If not, I have a Recon TK Gold that you can PM me about.

As far as I can see....the lowers I have and the fork I have are identical.

So assuming you have a similar year fork, there should be no issue swapping things out.

post-20015-0-91106300-1571888806_thumb.jpg

post-20015-0-66177300-1571888815_thumb.jpg

I have an old Reba as well, but the arch shape is more round.

UPDATE

Well turns out that the "Arch" is not pure aluminum. Guy managed to weld it, but he reckoned the metal was a pewter compound.

Took her for a test ride, nothing harsh, few kerbs and downhill dodging. Check it out, and yup, she has definitely cracked again.