Trek - shocking first time impression!!!

Craig Foot

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the opinions, chirps, suggestions, criticisms etc.

to be clear, I am not bashing the bikes or making quality comparisons etc, but having gone to Trek SA for help and they in turn put me onto a dealer who won’t allow me to test a bike IMO is extremely poor.

I told the Trek dealer, Pyga dealer and Spez dealer that I am wanting to test a bike from each of their brands - it’s important to be honest as I feel a relationship with the dealer of the brand you choose is important.

Spez has arranged an Epic evo demo bike for me for this weekend. 
I acknowledge the store owner knows me but the Pyga guys did not know me and set that demo bike up for me like it was a custom fit, really made an effort.

so again, this is about a brand (direct or via its agents) that had an opportunity to impress a customer and surely the fact that I tried more than one dealer and reached out to Trek SA indicates I am a serious buyer? 

i get that there are costs etc but the big brands have Megga marketing budgets and should support their agents in some way. Insurance can cover any damages, I would have even paid a deposit to give the agent peace of mind.

The first Trek dealer I mentioned has been in contact with me again and I let the guy know I would recommend him purely for his effort (and don’t forget I mentioned he himself tried to get help from Trek). Thanks Dewald

Happy and safe riding all, no matter what brand of bike you have ‍♂‍♂

Buy the Pyga. Honestly, which ever one you pick it’ll be a better choice than the Epic (unless you are a podium contender). Even Spez tries to steer people away from those unless they are hardcore racer and on to bikes that are better for them.

Agree, buy the Pyga. I bought one after a test ride at B&B a few years back, there is no other bike I would own right now. People who own them tend to love them, #pygastage. Oh and the Pyga guys are tops too, proper backup. They have started a local whatsapp group where riders share stories, pics etc even the boss man himself posts and shares news - proper local touch 

Buy the Pyga. Honestly, which ever one you pick it’ll be a better choice than the Epic (unless you are a podium contender). Even Spez tries to steer people away from those unless they are hardcore racer and on to bikes that are better for them.

The Epic Evo, unlike the standard Epic, is not for hardcore racers and podium contenders. It's a lot of fun down any kind of hill and gets you back to the top with relative ease. And no Spez doesn't try steer people away from it. 

Not saying don't buy the Pyga, I was also looking at them as an alternative option - just got an amazing deal on the day for my Epic Evo.

Try both, see which one makes you smile, and go buy that one.

Edited by piotter

And the opportunity cost of all the clients who would have bought bikes had there been a demo fleet? The opportunity cost knife cuts both ways.

But again, I think it's the distributors should should have a demo fleet and demo days, not the bike shops.

Dirt Merchant / Transition did that for a while. You asked for a demo ad they shipped it down. Took it for a spin and handed it back... or in my case bought it. 

The Epic Evo, unlike the standard Epic, is not for hardcore racers and podium contenders. It's a lot of fun down any kind of hill and gets you back to the top with relative ease. And no Spez doesn't try steer people away from it. 

Not saying don't buy the Pyga, I was also looking at them as an alternative option - just got an amazing deal on the day for my Epic Evo.

Try both, see which one makes you smile, and go buy that one.

What he said...... coming from a Trek tried to get a newer one from them, but their sales people was not interested in even showing me something in the shop, never mind giving me chance for a test ride.

Both Spez dealers I visited was absolutely awesome, and I bought the EVO, even though I still think the Trek is a nicer looking bike :ph34r:  No regrets so far, and no after sales service issues either.

I may be wrong, but in my world the Brand is represented by the shop, so if the shop gives sub standard service, the Brand suffers, and you cannot separate the two from each other.

The only issue i have with Trek is the fact that they dont do the Remedy.It got great reviews as a aggressive Trail bike.I was considering one but had to opt for another Brand

Isn't the Epic EVO literally just an Epic with wider bars and a 120mm fork?

Look, the new Geo is slacker and less ridiculous than the older models. With a 120mm/100mm set up one can ride pretty much anything with the right skill.

My Lapierre is 120mm/100mm and it is phenominally capable.

If I ever had to buy 1 bike I would buy the Pyga Stage and then buy a 140mm trail fork, a 190x51 shock and some burly wheels/tires.

That way I have a trail bike and a 'race' bike all rolled into one package. 

It's a great bike and ticks all the boxes really well when in each of it's guises.

Yip that and a dropper post as well as coming standard with a more trail orientated front tire. Makes a world of difference to the bikes capabilities, especially what it does for rider confidence.

I don't do things I didn't do on my old 80mm travel HT, though that's not the bike's fault but mine. Everything I do do I do a lot faster and more confidently and have a whole lot more fun doing it. 

Look, the new Geo is slacker and less ridiculous than the older models. With a 120mm/100mm set up one can ride pretty much anything with the right skill.

But unless the bike shop has demo flannel hipster shirts how can a person be completely sure that you are buying the right bike hey...

These bike shops are swak!

Cowboy checks are the new Flannel. Get with the times! 

My Lapierre is 120mm/100mm and it is phenominally capable.

If I ever had to buy 1 bike I would buy the Pyga Stage and then buy a 140mm trail fork, a 190x51 shock and some burly wheels/tires.

That way I have a trail bike and a 'race' bike all rolled into one package. 

It's a great bike and ticks all the boxes really well when in each of it's guises.

Yup. So it's still an XC race bike, just with a 120mm fork and better front tyre. Doesn't turn it into a trail bike, just makes it a more capable XC race bike. 

I have had positive experiences with both Spez and Pyga as far as pre-purchase treatment. Knipe Racing at Meerendal and Specialized in Somerset West happily gave me test bikes - they didnt feel great (for me) and I ended up buying a bike I hadnt tested (Giant Anthem X) and loved it (guess I was lucky).

I now own a Scott Spark, which I also didn't test pre purchase (and also love - so lucky again I guess), not sure where I am going with this as far as testing goes :stupid:  but I would still recommend testing whenever possible and brands that dont give dealers adequate demo bikes are a bit kaka.