Trek - shocking first time impression!!!

Craig Foot

Speaking of Pyga, when are they launching a new bike? I know they are planning on setting up local manufacturing, just wish they would get on with it. My current MTB is getting a bit long in the tooth and I would love to have a totally local bike.

apologies for the hijack.

Already launched, check out their Facebook page

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Had the same experience in Pretoria.

One of the agents on Lynnwood Rd wouldn't even greet me, 3 times I went to the shop to try get some info and chat bikes. First two times completely ignored, they literally looked at me and acted like I didn't exist.Third time got some half @ssed assistance from some arrogant little pr!CK.

Drove to a Pyga dealer who spent over an hour chatting options and getting to known me and my needs. Walked out with a deal on a Pyga.

Specialized are very good at offering test rides etc from my experience. I moved from a Specialized to a Pyga.

My experience with Trek Lynwood is completely different from yours. They're my fave bicycle shop in Pretoria. I've bought a bicycle from them before. I used to go there 2-3 times a week for an entire month before I finally purchased the bicycle and every time they'd let me play around with it in the parking lot till I'd had enough. I wasn't gonna ask them to let me take the bicycle to Wolvespruit coz the bicycle wasn't a demo. Someone has to pay full price for it after I've ridden it on the "mountains" and decided its not the bike for me. You also wouldn't be willing to pay R89k for a bicycle that's been ridden.

If you wanna try out bikes its best to ask the store about the official trek demo days. There you can ride the bicycles in the "mountains" as much as you want. 

I know Specialized have a few demo models which they subsequently sell for less, but they do not have a demo of every single model on the floor and their demos definitely do not come in all sizes. Do you think what would happen to their business if they had to rip open 5 different sizes of each and every model for people to demo. 

R89k might be a lot to you, but I've seen people pay double that for a bicycle they only rode inside the shop. Perhaps they'd done their research before hand. I still visit the Trek in Lynwood often even though I sold their bicycle, and the guys are always spending hours with their customers. My current bicycle is not a Trek, but I still take it to them if I have any issues.

Edited by Jarl Borg

Must say the Pyga guys are great .... gave me a loan stage max at berg and bush after had a problem with the freebody at first waterpoint.Was very impresed with the bike and their attitude.

Then got to ride the new enduro bike down spioenskop ...what a blast.

Very very impressed with Pyga ... Local is Lekker!!

This is one of their best sale strategies. I know guys who borrowed a Pyga on B&B and could just not give it back.

Trek: How do you sell a R89k bike by not allowing a buyer to test ride it??

Dealer 1: great effort but no, I can’t ride a Large frame when I need a XL frame, thanks for trying though guys.

And when you test drive a car before you buy, do you test the exact same build/spec you intend to buy, or something similar. Or when you buy a house, do you live in it for a month, or just view it,maybe ask the owner a few questions?

You are better off reading up on the bike, watching youtube reviews, etc - you will know what the bike is all about

And when you test drive a car before you buy, do you test the 1:) exact same build/spec you intend to buy, or something similar. 2:)Or when you buy a house, do you live in it for a month, or just view it,maybe ask the owner a few questions?

You are better off reading up on the bike, watching youtube reviews, etc - you will know what the bike is all about

1:) yup

2:) sortoff...I airbnb a place in the area lol...you know..to get a feel for the neighbourhood. 

Edited by morneS555

And when you test drive a car before you buy, do you test the exact same build/spec you intend to buy, or something similar. Or when you buy a house, do you live in it for a month, or just view it,maybe ask the owner a few questions?

Well said!!! What time is it in Vancouver  :devil:

Do people buying R89k second hand  bicycles from the classifieds also take the bikes to the "mountains" before buying :eek:  

Edited by Jarl Borg

Local CT shop, the Gear change gave me the new top fuel to ride for a few days without any issues, encouraged me to put it through its paces and have fun.. maybe it’s the shop/dealers and not the brand directly that let you down. Although the shops do buy and own their own demo stock so often they can’t make all sizes available..

Already launched, check out their Facebook page

The new locally produced carbon bike is not quite launched. The frame is in development stage and close to done. Was due to ready in November but not looking likely as Pat is a perfectionist so I'm sure he has tweaking to do. Supposed to be very cutting edge and what I have seen looks super cool, front triangle and some other bits.

1:) yup

2:) sortoff...I airbnb a place in the area lol...you know..to get a feel for the neighbourhood. 

1:) Maybe when buying a car that comes with standard packages, but as soon as it it more premium (read expensive), your chances of getting to test the exact same spec/build nears zero

2:)At least a large frame of the same model is the same bike...so will sort of give you the same feel

Local CT shop, the Gear change gave me the new top fuel to ride for a few days without any issues, encouraged me to put it through its paces and have fun.. maybe it’s the shop/dealers and not the brand directly that let you down. Although the shops do buy and own their own demo stock so often they can’t make all sizes available..