Trek - shocking first time impression!!!

Craig Foot

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1:) Maybe when buying a car that comes with standard packages, but as soon as it it more premium (read expensive), your chances of getting to test the exact same spec/build nears zero

2:)At least a large frame of the same model is the same bike...so will sort of give you the same feel

Not really. I say spec doesn't matter - ie: a GX mech vs a XX1, but size does. A friend of mine wanted to test ride a Cannondale, Cycle Lab could only give him a large - he could not extend the seatpost enough because he is tall, in that case you cannot get a feel for the bike.

Ideal is for shops to have access to (from the distributor) entry level spec bikes in all sizes. It may take a day or two lead time to get the bike to the shop, but I would wait for that. Brands like Trek are big enough that the SA distributor can set something like that up with their dealers.

Not really. I say spec doesn't matter - ie: a GX mech vs a XX1, but size does. A friend of mine wanted to test ride a Cannondale, Cycle Lab could only give him a large - he could not extend the seatpost enough because he is tall, in that case you cannot get a feel for the bike.

Ideal is for shops to have access to (from the distributor) entry level spec bikes in all sizes. It may take a day or two lead time to get the bike to the shop, but I would wait for that. Brands like Trek are big enough that the SA distributor can set something like that up with their dealers.

Maybe not so much on the drive train, but surely wheels, fork, shock and items like that matter. You get a baseline scalpel with a standard fork as opposed to a lefty. Specialized does not have the brain in the forks of the entry level Epics. Alloy wheels vs carbon will give a different feel in terms of stiffness and responsiveness. Brakes impact stopping power and modulation. I think spec will definitely be relevant, as it can very often be the difference between 'wow' and 'meh'.

It would be ideal if the larger manufacturers would have a test fleet available, but they also have a large number of models. In the end, someone will need to cover the cost of such a fleet, and unfortunately that will be the consumer.

Pyga wth a low number of models can more easily have a standard spec bike available in each size. 

Um considering they dont know you and your ability, dont expect to take R90000 of theirs for a spin in the hills. Mtb is not road riding and guys of all levels fall off all the time.

Besides, how experienced are you and dialed into the subtle differences of geometries / components that you would actually discern the differences? Pro level?

Also, 90k isnt exactly entry level so this probably wouldn't be your first bike - a test ride in the parking lot would give you a good idea of the bikes feel, and tape measures are used for sizing and bike fit, not only sitting on a frame.

Save the wine for Trek demo days if you dont get to try all the models.

It would be ideal if the larger manufacturers would have a test fleet available, but they also have a large number of models. In the end, someone will need to cover the cost of such a fleet, and unfortunately that will be the consumer.

The SA bike market is just too small to justify demo fleets.

a Spez shop gave a friend of mine some top of the range model to testride. This made him buy the 40k bike of the same range just to find out it's not fun to ride and weight is 2kg more...rides like a tractor and doesn't fly over the trails like the test bike.
Test what you want to buy ! 

I've honestly only test rode 1 bike and it was a Trek but it was a local shop owners personal bike. I took it into Tokai and gave it the good Cobra / AM / DH loop and all was fine. One the flat part of Quarry on the way out I clipped a pedal, crashed, did my shoulder. Bars were all over the place and it was a mess. I had to get the bike back to the car park, load it solo into the ute, drive to the shop and to add insult to the whole thing had to get him to come and get his (slightly wonky) bike out of the car as could barely open the tailgate.  

Lucky, the bike was good. I didn't buy it. The Large was too large. I've not had a test ride since. I've bought about 3 frames / bikes since unseen and untested. 

Things do happen and then what? If I had stuffed it I would have had to pay for it but there was no contract and I could have just ghosted (well I kinda did to the hospital). I do think there should be some ability to test bikes to a degree as it's a good chunk of change out of the toy fund but it's got to be fair for all. Shops can run a test fleet on certain models, sell at the end of the season and cover base costs but the impetus has to be there. Look at Cotic, they are a pretty niche manufacture and they run alot of demo days, you can visit the factory and take a bike for a loop and they have a van / driver that will visit you with the demo bikes if you get a few mates who are interested. That might be a bit over the top but shows a commitment to the customer lacking in a lot of places and brands in the industry. 

Already launched, check out their Facebook page

The new marathon Trail bike will be launched next year,It will be a high end bike. I think it will run alongside the stage. 

Um considering they dont know you and your ability, dont expect to take R90000 of theirs for a spin in the hills. Mtb is not road riding and guys of all levels fall off all the time.

Besides, how experienced are you and dialed into the subtle differences of geometries / components that you would actually discern the differences? Pro level?

Also, 90k isnt exactly entry level so this probably wouldn't be your first bike - a test ride in the parking lot would give you a good idea of the bikes feel, and tape measures are used for sizing and bike fit, not only sitting on a frame.

Save the wine for Trek demo days if you dont get to try all the models.

Specialized was more than willing to let me take a R95k bike for the weekend on whatever terrain I felt the urge to do. And they knew full well that that bike was way way out of the price range I was planning to spend.

Signed a form that I accept liability if I do something stupid and break it and that I won't participate in any races with it and off I went.

1 year on I went and bought that exact bike when they were selling their test bikes at a substantial discount.

Have you tried Best Bikes in Durbanville ?

I have had the most frigid experience there in 2017.  Significantly better in 2018 - new staff.  Cr@p service a few weeks back when I was looking at a Signal bike for the kid (sales woman told me the bike on the signal website does not even exist ...)  But they are the next closest dealer to you.

May be worth your while to try a few other dealers - https://www.trekbikes.com/za/en_ZA/store-finder/

NOTE - just stay way clear of the Paarl outlet !!!  :cursing:   :cursing:  they cost me thousands in school fees ....

So may I suggest that you also add SCOTT to your list of bikes to test.  the twin lock system makes for a very messy front end .... but MAN, it WORKS !!  :clap:   :clap:

Try the following if you want to arrange a test ride:

- Gecko Cycles, speak to Fred

- Bike Addict (think they do parking lot test rides)

- Chris Willemse Cycles

PS - not many bike shops allow test rides.  But the way they go about informing you certainly goes a long way ....

PPS - ALL bikeshops have ONE thing in common !  They are as good as that salesperson you deal with on the day .... I have had some brilliant service at some, as well as some really cr@ppy service on other days .... all depending on who you deal with.  The ONLY shop that CONSISTENTLY delivers TOP service : King Cycles in Worcester  :thumbup:   Got to the point where I window shop, and plan my purchases, and make sure to stop in at King cycles when we are in the area.

I live in Gauteng and got excellent service from them 

And when you test drive a car before you buy, do you test the exact same build/spec you intend to buy, or something similar. Or when you buy a house, do you live in it for a month, or just view it,maybe ask the owner a few questions?

You are better off reading up on the bike, watching youtube reviews, etc - you will know what the bike is all about

demo bikes for high end models are not an easy thing for lbs to manage.

i doubt lamborghini dealerships have many on the floor that joe public can test.

best thing really would be a charge that gets waivered if you purchase....by riding a demo bike you are reducing its value

demo bikes for high end models are not an easy thing for lbs to manage.

i doubt lamborghini dealerships have many on the floor that joe public can test.

best thing really would be a charge that gets waivered if you purchase....by riding a demo bike you are reducing its value

But surely it's not exactly a loss when a bike shop will be simply buying a extra couple models at the cost price and selling them at a massive discount (but still covering that initial cost) at the end of the season? So you're not actually losing money that way and providing a service. Also I'm sure there are cunning ways of using any loss / write off in the tax returns. 

But surely it's not exactly a loss when a bike shop will be simply buying a extra couple models at the cost price and selling them at a massive discount (but still covering that initial cost) at the end of the season? So you're not actually losing money that way and providing a service. Also I'm sure there are cunning ways of using any loss / write off in the tax returns. 

buying an extra couple of models....requires cashflow, not always that easy.

As far as I know "test bikes" are offered at a sizable discount and payable in a years time. Well that is some brands. If a supplier wants you to sell their product then they must assist you.

I'm sure that is the case but I guess there is also a limit on how many test bikes you are able to get. 

I dont think its Trek the brand thats the problem but rather the bike shop.

My general experience and assumptions with bike shops are as follows

1) if they know you well and you bought from them in the past they will more likely give you a bike to take home and test over a week/day/weekend etc.

I know a few cyclist personally that fall into this category. They only use one or two LBS and generally get exceptional personal service from the store.

2) If they don't know you from a bar of soap all you get is to test the bike outside in the parking area. And that's if you lucky enough that someone actually notices you. Unfortunately this is my general experience ....... 

I want to say don't let the Bike shop turn you away from a Brand but that kind of cash is not something you should splash and "hope for the best"....

OP get a Pyga and move on.

Pre Sale and After sale service = EXCELLENT!!!

Bike = Fantastic.

2 Water bottles

Decide don your travel, you can run it in 120 Front 110 rear or get the 140 from 130 rear config by asking Pyga to send you the bracket for the rear.

Thus Stage and Max is the same frame with different shock and fork