Trek - shocking first time impression!!!

Craig Foot

Specialized was more than willing to let me take a R95k bike for the weekend on whatever terrain I felt the urge to do. And they knew full well that that bike was way way out of the price range I was planning to spend.

Signed a form that I accept liability if I do something stupid and break it and that I won't participate in any races with it and off I went.

1 year on I went and bought that exact bike when they were selling their test bikes at a substantial discount.

well, you signed liability for the bike should anything untoward happen, hence Spez lent you the bike to try out. Less risk for them.

Good that you got the used one eventually.

Edited by Li Mu Bai

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I know "test bikes" are offered at a sizable discount and payable in a years time. Well that is some brands. If a supplier wants you to sell their product then they must assist you.

And the good dealerships will have a budget for marketing out of which they might have funds for a couple of test bikes.

It would be tough for smaller niche brands who dont sell too many bikes and need to make a real extra effort to move their product.

Edited by Li Mu Bai

So you had an issue with a  a dealer who had a crap attitude and now you flaming the whole Trek brand.

Thats a tad immature dont you think?

Perhaps if you were keen on that bike just go to another dealer as i can assure you they will have a different attitude.

Someone else mentioned Gear change.  They have been extremely helpful to me with all my needs.  Trek has the best warranties in the business and coupled with the back up and quality of their bikes are very hard to beat.  

ANyhoo hope you get sorted,

Have never test ridden any bike that have bought, whether a MTB, road or TT bike.

Admittedly, I now build most of my bikes, so is just general research of the frame and reviews of the bike.  After that it is down to the components that i want to put on it.

Perhaps there is personal sense of entitlement these days that brands and dealers must bend over backwards.

I see enough demo day ads on social media anyway should I wish to go test a bike.  But as I build all of mine, it will unlikely be spec'd as I would want it. 

buying an extra couple of models....requires cashflow, not always that easy.

True the you should approach the Head office of the bikes you stock and see what can be done. Take the bikes on spec' and pay out at the ed of the season the they are sold, talk to them about the need for a demo day or fleet because frankly it's in everyones best interests to get people onto your bikes and seeing how good they are. If you sell more bikes then the bike company sells more bikes. Cash flow is an issue but at the same time if you don't have the forethought to invest to improve your customer service and create value add that will make a loyal customer then you're just in the soup with the rest of the bike shops.

Look at this thread, PYGA has got a couple of glowing posts and made customers in to brand advocates who are actively saying 'buy a pyga' and there are shops that getting a bad review. 

These this forum is littered with complaints about lazy, arrogant and disinterested bike shops but equally mention Lyne, Stoke or some other companies and you see the difference that being customer centric and running a actual business does. I've got no qualms if the bad shops drop by the wayside. It'll be their own fault.  

As far as I know "test bikes" are offered at a sizable discount and payable in a years time. Well that is some brands. If a supplier wants you to sell their product then they must assist you.

I can't repeat here what my buddy that's a bike shop owner, said when I asked him if this is the case.  :whistling:  :ph34r:

Just to be clear, my post was about a Trek dealer, not about Trek. I have never owned or ridden one. I was simply giving my experience with a Trek dealer. I didn't even get as far as asking for a test ride.

Nothing against the brand.

IMO the dealer acts as an extension of the brand, if I get crap service from a dealer I have no interest in dropping my hard earned money on a brand where my first experience at my local dealer has been rubish. But hey, that's just me.

I can drive out my house and be at one of 8 bike shops within 30 mins of each other, if one does not agree with how expect to be treated I simply move on to the next one.

Edited by Markellis

Just to be clear, my post was about a Trek dealer, not about Trek. I have never owned or ridden one. I was simply giving my experience with a Trek dealer. I didn't even get as far as asking for a test ride.

Nothing against the brand.

IMO the dealer acts as an extension of the brand, if I get crap service from a dealer I have no interest in dropping my hard earned money on a brand where my first experience at my local dealer has been rubish. But hey, that's just me.

I can drive out my house and be at one of 8 bike shops within 30 mins of each other, if one does not agree with how expect to be treated I simply move on to the next one.

I'd suggest amending the title of the thread to indicate this.

It's not my thread, I just posted in it. The OP had the issue with Trek.

My apologies, Mark. Misdirected, but still relevant. I think he should change the title of the thread.

Edited by Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

But surely it's not exactly a loss when a bike shop will be simply buying a extra couple models at the cost price and selling them at a massive discount (but still covering that initial cost) at the end of the season? So you're not actually losing money that way and providing a service. Also I'm sure there are cunning ways of using any loss / write off in the tax returns. 

The opportunity cost - cash locked into the demo fleet, storage/floor space, insurance. And if there is a demo fleet, there are potential buyers who otherwise would pay full retail, but instead hold out for that, so instead of paying normal retail, they wait to season end and buy demo, so there is a reduced margin on these bikes

The opportunity cost - cash locked into the demo fleet, storage/floor space, insurance. And if there is a demo fleet, there are potential buyers who otherwise would pay full retail, but instead hold out for that, so instead of paying normal retail, they wait to season end and buy demo, so there is a reduced margin on these bikes

And the opportunity cost of all the clients who would have bought bikes had there been a demo fleet? The opportunity cost knife cuts both ways.

But again, I think it's the distributors should should have a demo fleet and demo days, not the bike shops.

And the opportunity cost of all the clients who would have bought bikes had there been a demo fleet? The opportunity cost knife cuts both ways.

But again, I think it's the distributors should should have a demo fleet and demo days, not the bike shops.

totally agree with final sentence