Poor service from LBS - what to do?

boesman88

I actually had an experience inline with this today. I got in touch with 4 LBS for crown race / headset base spacer and each and everyone of them came back to me with some sort of BS answer.

I already ordered the part off ebay was looking for one I'll get my hands on sooner. Made a post here on bikehub, got a link to an online seller bought what I needed - get's delivered tomorrow.

We’ve established so far that

1. poor LBS service is a fact and quite common

2. There are quality mechanics out there that delivers great service

3. Bike services tend to be overpriced (subjective I guess)

Instead of name and shame- perhaps best way forward is to name the guys you’ve received great service from and area so we can support their efforts and passion for quality?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Instead of name and shame- perhaps best way forward is to name the guys you’ve received great service from and area so we can support their efforts and passion for quality?

.... and dont forget to make a special mention of those that:

1. Are old hands at their trade with passion and dedication

2. The digitally savvy ones like our paypal shop, paincave, toolup and others.

????

The overpriced issue goes hand in hand with qualified or experienced mechanics. There are more than a few people who pay extra and drive further to have their bikes worked on by professional and experienced staff. People are willing to pay that's no the issue, the issue is that some shops ask these ridicules fees without investing in proper mechanics or sending their mechanics on training and then expecting us to pay the fees, because "that's what everyone is asking". 

At least that is how I see it. I prefer to work on my own bike except for wheels and dampers, I am not a qualified mechanic, but it is my own bike so I take my time to do it right and maintaining your bike is part of cycling to me.

No LBS is perfect as shown in previous posts where someone will rave about a shop only for someone else to post a different experience. I've heard people stating what great service they had from Cajees, me ? I would not let them near my bike.

Who's to say who's right. Shop around find a LBS that suits you and build a relationship. 

Edited by scotty

My problem with quute a few bike shops around cape town is that when the bike comes back from a service. The gears are never tuned proper. There is always a skip or a failure to shift.

Hence why I do my own work. Shifting has to be instant and smooth. Fork and shock servicing I book in.

For some the money you pay for a service is better invested in the tools and knowledge to do the job yourself.

All the info you need to know is freely available on forums like the Hub and the net

For some the money you pay for a service is better invested in the tools and knowledge to do the job yourself.

All the info you need to know is freely available on forums like the Hub and the net

I work long hours and have a pile of time challenges outside of work between kids and their sports and hobbies, looking after animals etc etc. I would prefer to pay someone to maintain my bikes so that I can ride them when I have time, rather than fix them. I can do the basics and have a decent set of tools to do so, but I don’t prioritise bike repair or maintenance over bike riding. My good mate is the opposite. He does everything on his bikes, but has a lot more free time than I do. Same as I don’t try and do DIY. Apart from being *** at it, I gain zero pleasure from it and would much rather sacrifice somewhere else so I can pay someone to do DIY instead of me.

I work long hours and have a pile of time challenges outside of work between kids and their sports and hobbies, looking after animals etc etc. I would prefer to pay someone to maintain my bikes so that I can ride them when I have time, rather than fix them. I can do the basics and have a decent set of tools to do so, but I don’t prioritise bike repair or maintenance over bike riding.

I am in a similar position with regard to being able to do the basics, but there is another reason I support the good owner-run bike shops in my area - I need them to stay in business.

If we don't support the good ones, they will disappear and then we will be stuffed when we urgently need a new tire or bomb or wheel to be trued or diagnostic beyond our skillset when we discover a problem the day before we race/go away on holiday.

There are guys who are better than I am at working on a bike - I suspect they are better than virtually everyone who does his own work, and I'd like them to be around for as long as I ride a bicycle. Unless we support them and pay them a professional rate for the professional work they do, that may not be the case and we will all be poorer for it.

Edited by eddy

I am in a similar position with regard to being able to do the basics, but there is another reason I support the good owner-run bike shops in my area - I need them to stay in business.

If we don't support the good ones, they will disappear and then we will be stuffed when we urgently need a new tire or bomb or wheel to be trued or diagnostic beyond our skillset when we discover a problem the day before we race/go away on holiday.

There are guys who are better than I am at working on a bike - I suspect they are better than virtually everyone who does his own work, and I'd like them to be around for as long as I ride a bicycle. Unless we support them and pay they a professional rate for the professional work they do, that may not be the case and we will all be poorer for it.

no double like button to push.

I agree 100% here to the extent that I’ll buy stuff from these bike shops even when they’re more expensive, I don’t like chain stores so prefer to support the “one man shows”.

Unfortunately the one LBS I did use most of the time had to close his doors, I now support a guy close to work

I work long hours and have a pile of time challenges outside of work between kids and their sports and hobbies, looking after animals etc etc. I would prefer to pay someone to maintain my bikes so that I can ride them when I have time, rather than fix them. I can do the basics and have a decent set of tools to do so, but I don’t prioritise bike repair or maintenance over bike riding. My good mate is the opposite. He does everything on his bikes, but has a lot more free time than I do. Same as I don’t try and do DIY. Apart from being *** at it, I gain zero pleasure from it and would much rather sacrifice somewhere else so I can pay someone to do DIY instead of me.

Normally I LOVE spending time in the garage.  Working on our bikes is an absolute pleasure, to the point where I often work on friends bikes as well ....

But right now is crunch time in the building sector with insane workload and unrealistic demands from clients ....  Now I DO prioritize time in the saddle - thats what keeps me sane .... working on the bike now takes a second place, and if work is needed I will now drop off my bike at Mark's.  Mark KNOWS me, for almost 30 years already, he knows how I look after my bike, and if I ask that he attends to something specific, AND to give it a "once over", he does that perfectly.

Thankfully between Marks workshop and Knipe_Racing we are spoilt for choice around here.

no double like button to push.

I agree 100% here to the extent that I’ll buy stuff from these bike shops even when they’re more expensive, I don’t like chain stores so prefer to support the “one man shows”.

Unfortunately the one LBS I did use most of the time had to close his doors, I now support a guy close to work

YES !!

When we built up the Mongoose for Maritz we did a LOT of shopping about, well window shopping.

I bought most of the parts from Mark, well everything that he had in stock or could get in.  I know could have saved a bit by splitting the items between a couple of the local shops, and the various online shops ....  But Mark assisted us with LOTS of information AND advice.  Saved us a lot in school fees .....

And Mark knew this was a "father-son" project, so he knew we would try as much as we could ourselves .... ended up taking the frame in once to have a BB-thread cleaned after the painting.  Mark would not charge me a cent for that.

Yes, I paid a few rands extra on the parts, but a I SAVED big time on the scope of the project !!  I gladly support Mark.

YES !!

When we built up the Mongoose for Maritz we did a LOT of shopping about, well window shopping.

I bought most of the parts from Mark, well everything that he had in stock or could get in. I know could have saved a bit by splitting the items between a couple of the local shops, and the various online shops .... But Mark assisted us with LOTS of information AND advice. Saved us a lot in school fees .....

And Mark knew this was a "father-son" project, so he knew we would try as much as we could ourselves .... ended up taking the frame in once to have a BB-thread cleaned after the painting. Mark would not charge me a cent for that.

Yes, I paid a few rands extra on the parts, but a I SAVED big time on the scope of the project !! I gladly support Mark.

This is awesome!

Where is Mark’s shop?

• 1 year later...

I ordered a Sram GXP BB from (and going to name and shame) Cyclelab Fourways - ordered as they didn't have stock. I had already checked with Cape Cycles and confirmed they had stock. Two weeks to the day they called to say it had arrived. When I said I'd had to make another plan as I couldn't have my bike down for two weeks the guy who's name I have but won't mention here said " the supplier" etc etc...I've only ever had great service from the 4 times I have had to deal with Cape Cycles. And IF the supplier had issues why didn't CL keep me updated? I call bullsh1t on the supplier excuse. Plus actually getting through to CL workshop took many phone calls where I was on hold forever for the Workshop and got cut off, and 2 online chats. Diabolical that a store with that size and experience can't get it right.

It just seems to be an industry norm that even the good shops disappoint from time to time. I can understand mistakes, but carelessness and poor service are inexcusable.