Birth Certificates

The Ouzo

That's for foreigners traveling to SA

I took my youngest to home affairs to apply for his ID card and asked the lady about the unabridged Birt Certificates. The new minor SA passports have both parents info in them but she said to me that just for in case, SA citizens travelling out of SA with minors should still have the unabridged birth certificates with them because sometimes they do ask for it and if not accompanied by both parents then that declaration by the parent not traveling with is still needed.

I do know that there is a huge problem with the 2001 unabridged birth Certificates..something about water damage in their archives so those take flippen long.. fortunately my son who was born in 2001 turns 18 soon so then he will just get his adult passport..but I still have to go through the schlep for my youngest son...[emoji849]

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

how long is a long time ?

I've booked flights for march

For a normal birth certificates they do it there at Home Affairs..they just print you a new copy..(well the last time I neede replacement ones)

If it is unabridged birth certificate that can take some time.

Edited by Gen

When I applied for my kids passports, they printed the unabridged birth certificates right then and there. Think it was R75 each. Passports took 2 weeks.

That's awesome

That's for foreigners traveling to SA

I took my youngest to home affairs to apply for his ID card and asked the lady about the unabridged Birt Certificates. The new minor SA passports have both parents info in them but she said to me that just for in case, SA citizens travelling out of SA with minors should still have the unabridged birth certificates with them because sometimes they do ask for it and if not accompanied by both parents then that declaration by the parent not traveling with is still needed.

I do know that there is a huge problem with the 2001 unabridged birth Certificates..something about water damage in their archives so those take flippen long.. fortunately my son who was born in 2001 turns 18 soon so then he will just get his adult passport..but I still have to go through the schlep for my youngest son...[emoji849]

Do yourself and you 18 yr old a favour and just get the unabridged birth certificates and also while you are at it your unabridged marraige certificates.  I remember you mentioned something about Italy some time ago. Should you ever apply for Visas or maybe citizenship or whatever at most EU countries they normally require all the unabridge documents.  And after you get the unabridge docs, go to the Dept of Internation Relations and get those documents "Apostiled" and atfter that keep those docs locked away. Then it is done and dusted.

how long is a long time ?

I've booked flights for march

On average it takes 3 months, however, can take up to 6 - my experience was 4 months.

Do yourself and you 18 yr old a favour and just get the unabridged birth certificates and also while you are at it your unabridged marraige certificates.  I remember you mentioned something about Italy some time ago. Should you ever apply for Visas or maybe citizenship or whatever at most EU countries they normally require all the unabridge documents.  And after you get the unabridge docs, go to the Dept of Internation Relations and get those documents "Apostiled" and atfter that keep those docs locked away. Then it is done and dusted.

HA only issues unabridged since the last two years

As standard issue they only have been doing it for the past two years.  Prior to that you had to apply for it.  I applied for my daughters straight when they were born 12 and 15 years ago respectivly

My oldest is 4 at the end of this month and we got when he was born. Someone from HA came to the hospital while my wife was still admitted and gave my wife the forms. We filled them out and a few days later the HA lady came back with the certificate. She spends 2 hours, 2 times a week in the maternity ward. With the twins 16 months ago we were lucky to only be there for 3 days so had to come back to the hospital. My oldest had complications and we were there for a week so that was a breeze. We had been told about it during the pregnancy by the hospital when booking the room so we knew what forms we needed to have with us to give the HA. I must admit it was pain free and well organised.

Edited by Long Wheel Base

My oldest was issued with an abridged birth certificate (2010) while younger sis was issued with an unabridged certificate (2013).

It did take 9 months, in 2011, to get an unabridged certificate for older sis before we went to the UK in 2012.

At least now they have everything up to date, so it’s only the 5 renewal of passports, and drivers licenses that are a pin in the rear to do.

My oldest is 4 at the end of this month and we got when he was born. Someone from HA came to the hospital while my wife was still admitted and gave my wife the forms. We filled them out and a few days later the HA lady came back with the certificate. She spends 2 hours, 2 times a week in the maternity ward. With the twins 16 months ago we were lucky to only be there for 3 days so had to come back to the hospital. My oldest had complications and we were there for a week so that was a breeze. We had been told about it during the pregnancy by the hospital when booking the room so we knew what forms we needed to have with us to give the HA. I must admit it was pain free and well organised.

That practice was stopped in KZN around 2009, had to present yourself at HA. In 2006 with my eldest birth, we had the same experience as you, but only the abridged certificate was issued.

Both my daughters where done in the Hospital. First one, now 4 and a half recieved unabridged. Last one, 1 month, only birth cert, with both parents details, they dont do unabridged anymore. Was delivered to the hospital after 4 days.

When I applied for my kids passports, they printed the unabridged birth certificates right then and there. Think it was R75 each. Passports took 2 weeks.

If you've already applied for one then you can get a reprint done straight away. If you've never applied for one then you have to wait months and months for the wheels off HA archiving to work

You will see from that article it refers to foreign children only. Still heaps of ambiguity as no detail is made of South African children flying into South Africa in that article

would imagine if they are travelling with SA Passports they will need the unabridged birth certificates or the new Minor passport that has the parents info in it..but like I said the lady told me best to still travel with the unabridged BS even if the child has the new Minor passport..

https://m.traveller24.com/TravelPlanning/VisaInfo/new-passports-rules-for-sa-minors-how-to-apply-for-your-childs-passport-20190726

Edited by Gen