Cape Town route for a 60 minute FTP test

tcr-rider

<iframe height='405' width='590' frameborder='0' allowtransparency='true' scrolling='no' src='<a data-ipb="nomediaparse" data-cke-saved-href="https://www.strava.com/segments/2448933/embed" href="https://www.strava.com/segments/2448933/embed" "="" class="bbc_url" title="External link">https://www.strava.com/segments/2448933/embed'></iframe>

Wowzers, that's a serious climb. Thanks for sharing - not easy to find outdoor training like that. That is road right? Or road bike friendly/accessible?

Wowzers, that's a serious climb. Thanks for sharing - not easy to find outdoor training like that. That is road right? Or road bike friendly/accessible?

its all tar, we just did a mtb race that morning that took us on that road & we didnt even go all the way to the top. There is also the Swartberg Pass in Oudtshoorn (dirt road but you can get away with a road bike with 28mm tires), or the Tokai Mast Tar but to get there you need to go off road.

There is also the Swartberg Pass in Oudtshoorn (dirt road but you can get away with a road bike with 28mm tires),

I'm not 100% convinced by that. If you are heading up from the South side the last 2-3km is pretty rough. I did it about 2 months ago on my MTB and I would really not have wanted to be on a road bike. Also check the gearing on the road bike, the last 1.5km averages about 15% gradient which is going to be rough on a road bike with relatively standard gearing.

Lekker ride though and going down the other side is awesome

its all tar, we just did a mtb race that morning that took us on that road & we didnt even go all the way to the top. There is also the Swartberg Pass in Oudtshoorn (dirt road but you can get away with a road bike with 28mm tires), or the Tokai Mast Tar but to get there you need to go off road.

There's also the climb to Tokai mast.....

perfect for an FTP test

I'm not 100% convinced by that. If you are heading up from the South side the last 2-3km is pretty rough. I did it about 2 months ago on my MTB and I would really not have wanted to be on a road bike. Also check the gearing on the road bike, the last 1.5km averages about 15% gradient which is going to be rough on a road bike with relatively standard gearing.

Lekker ride though and going down the other side is awesome

what if I told you the guy who won the Swartberg 100 miler was on a standard road bike with 28mm tires? In the process he dropped a Pro MTBER Matthys Buekes up the climb.

yep suggested that in the last line of my post

I use the gravel section as the warm up. The tar section is where the hurt then begins

I use the gravel section as the warm up. The tar section is where the hurt then begins

i just checked Strava now if the Op only has a road bike then Tokai is not going to be an option as the tar section will give mere mortals 20-25mins only. If you have a mtb & take it from the gate then you'll get roughly 50-60mins. Then you might as well do Ou Kaapse Weg from Steenberg side at enter into Silvermine to complete about +-20mins

i just checked Strava now if the Op only has a road bike then Tokai is not going to be an option as the tar section will give mere mortals 20-25mins only. If you have a mtb & take it from the gate then you'll get roughly 50-60mins. Then you might as well do Ou Kaapse Weg from Steenberg side at enter into Silvermine to complete about +-20mins

Road bike only, I'm afraid. Thanks for the help!

Thanks Milky. 

Looks rad, definitely adding that to my spots-to-go-into-the-dark-place list  :)