Over inflation and trust online.

cycologiist

Here is a link I use as a distributor to quickly check duties. 

http://www.ftwonline.co.za/customs/tariffs

Some items in SA have bizarre duties... Charge cables 25% / Heart Rate Belts 15% / Phone Covers 30% 

We also now have a 15% "luxury tax if a watch has Bluetooth built in."

I know the frustration on over inflation, but ons some items it is simply unavoidable due to us having to keep the government funded. 

When in doubt, use the tariff tool to check. 

Yes thats true and we suffer daily in my industry with tariffs, but this is about actual pricing here not comparing to the taxes or laws that are lesser and different in the US or EU for example. My wife is in electronics here too and they get hammered. The age on iphone, samsung etc battle of what they cost overseas, but taxes are taxes sadly.

I am purely talking about online site to online site here, as i dont buy from out of SA now that I am here as its just so much easier locally for support and more. Plus the companies getting it write here in all industries make it less of a need for me to look overseas. :D

You are not wrong, but like any industry, there are certain felons of this and not all do actually do it. Thats why i was interested in starting the thread and giving my trusted sites and feedback as i received a ludicrous black friday mailer this morning that had something so over inflated and i had just got the same thing from one of my go to online retailers for 3k less that their sale price that was arguably the MSRP.

At least from the response here I know i am not alone :D

We had this discussion not so long ago and my take was that the RRP and discount don't matter at all.

The only important number is the one at the bottom.

Personally I care not a sausage which retailers do it and don't use the practice to judge retailer's morality. I see it all as part of the marketing drive just like professionally taken overcolured pictures, using semi naked ladies to promote the product, flyers on cars, infomercials like the ones we see on our very own hub and various other tactics used by retailers to win us over.

They are one of the worst for this.  You have been warned  :ph34r:

Thanks for the heads up  :thumbup:

Though the stuff i have got seems inline with a simple search or call. Can't say I have bought loads on there but I appreciate the advice!

I think the problem also comes in when the importers/distributors do not make the the RRP readily available to their dealers.

So the bike shops aren't always to blame here. 

I think the problem also comes in when the importers/distributors do not make the the RRP readily available to their dealers.

Probably a very valid point as I only know my industry/company i work for does give that to all our retailers worldwide.

Still though surely they have a general standard to work to like most industries and also a little competitor research/analysis can go a long way :)

Edited by cycologiist

Surely the age of the RRP is over?

Most modern consumer driven acts see it as anti competitive and it's the exact opposite of free market principle.

Different business models will result in different retail prices.

Edited by Eldron

Bargain hunter?? - I'm guilty as charged!!

there must be a reason why none of the local online stores use "discount - high to low" as one of the search criteria.

that's kinda how i shop on CRC, buy end of season and then just look for the biggest deal (in my head at least)

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/tyres?f=2258&sort=discount

sjoe you can get 84% off an Ona tyre, get it!!!!!

I see Merlin also has the RRP at close to R2,000. 

https://www.merlincycles.com/onza-canis-folding-xc-mtb-tyre-275-113013.html?utm_campaign=googlebase-DK&utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=shopping&utm_term=Mountain+Bike+tyres&ucpo=49350&gclid=Cj0KCQiAiNnuBRD3ARIsAM8KmltLrOxejdKGQmTBHrdJB_xnyb2COr_UI28Tea0wp_6CeuYWf16bAMQaApjBEALw_wcB

Awesome.

I have my trusted stores now like CWC, Bike Mob and 1 or 2 others depending on what my needs are or availability, but in an age where you can do online comparisons with a simple search it seems insane!

John.

John WELCOME to the Hub.

Uhm, how do I put this diplomatically .... CWC is the WORST of the lot in terms of manipulating the "RRP" to "show a discount" .....  Each and every sale somebody pulls a screen grab to show their antics ....  To be fair, the rest are just as bad !!

Bottom line - DO YOUR HOMEWORK !!!  Make sure what you want, make sure what the REAL market price is.  Then take your specials from there ...

John WELCOME to the Hub.

Uhm, how do I put this diplomatically .... CWC is the WORST of the lot in terms of manipulating the "RRP" to "show a discount" .....  Each and every sale somebody pulls a screen grab to show their antics ....  To be fair, the rest are just as bad !!

Bottom line - DO YOUR HOMEWORK !!!  Make sure what you want, make sure what the REAL market price is.  Then take your specials from there ...

Thanks, Chris. Good to know. Seems I am down to one then  :w00t: LOL!

Evobikes certainly is worth checking when you want to buy ...

They do have a "shop", but the shop does not stock everything that is available online ...  I do drive past there, but have learnt to check stock before going there ...

Thanks, Chris. Good to know. Seems I am down to one then  :w00t: LOL!

CWC still have good prices when compared to other online or brick and mortar shops, however like others have said whenever they have a sale they like to inflate the RRP quite a bit to show a bigger discount. 

But if you look at the discounted price only and ignore all the other numbers, it is normally a very good price, and therefore I still buy from them. I just make sure I know what the item cost at other stores before I do the purchase. 

Same as with the black friday hype at the moment, I will only buy something I am really looking for and that is on a good discount (because I know what the item more or less sell for)

Edit: Grammar

Edited by PieterJvR